Modem Bottlenecking a Router?

InfiniteResearch5

I'm planning to upgrade my ISP-provided router (Huawei EG8245H5) to a WiFi 6 router (TPLink Archer AX23 | AX1800).

However I'm thinking that my current modem might be a bottleneck. Is that a proper concern that I should worry about?

For reference, I have a fiber connection and the ISP-provided router is an all-in-one unit which is a modem, router and WiFi access point.

2 devices will interact each other via cable, Gigabit ports, don't see problem there. From my experience Huawei ISP provided routers have unstable wifi, speed just going to 0 often, but cable connection is solid.

All TPLink products have worked great for me so far.

When you get up to fiber ISPs typically don't screw around with shoddy modems. They want you to get advertised speeds and not cause a fuss with tech support. The modem is also the least complex and least expensive device. Many ISPs in my area are increasingly forbidding using your own modem on higher speed lines just to eliminate variables.

The router portion is typically meh, but not terrible. Wifi tends to suck though and you have no flexibility to move it. I haven't focused on WiFi6 much, but not sure why there's such an emphasis on replacing router/wifi combos when a dedicated access point provides a lot more flexibility. Mainly you can move it to an optimum location.

6 hours ago, InfiniteResearch5 said:

I'm planning to upgrade my ISP-provided router (Huawei EG8245H5) to a WiFi 6 router (TPLink Archer AX23 | AX1800).

However I'm thinking that my current modem might be a bottleneck. Is that a proper concern that I should worry about?

For reference, I have a fiber connection and the ISP-provided router is an all-in-one unit which is a modem, router and WiFi access point.

What you have is an ONT/router. You can't replace it, but you can add the tplink as an access point. Just make sure to turn off dhcp/routing. Use it strictly as an access point. 

Thank you everyone for your helpful insight!

On 1/18/2022 at 12:34 PM, Blue4130 said:

What you have is an ONT/router. You can't replace it, but you can add the tplink as an access point. Just make sure to turn off dhcp/routing. Use it strictly as an access point. 

I'm thinking of setting my old ISP provided ONT/router to bridge mode. Is that a bad idea?

What would be benefit or the hindrance if I do that in comparison to if I set my new router only as an access point?

37 minutes ago, InfiniteResearch5 said:

Thank you everyone for your hlelpful insight!

I'm thinking of setting my old ISP provided ONT/router to bridge mode. Is that a bad idea?

What would be benefit or the hindrance if I do that in comparison to if I set my new router only as an access point?

It just flat out might not be possible. It really depends on your service provider. 

1 hour ago, InfiniteResearch5 said:

Thank you everyone for your hlelpful insight!

The benefit is you gain all functionality of your own router rather than being locked down to whatever the ISP router lets you do.

The disadvantage is you need to make sure your router is up to the task of handling that speed or it will bottleneck the entire network.  Whereas in Access Point mode its doing less work and any speed issues if it cant keep up would only impact the wireless clients, not the wired.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7