See Views on Post While Post is Open

AdvocateOfNyx

I know the title doesn't make a whole lot of sense, but I couldn't figure out how to explain it well in just a few words.

As far as I can tell, the only time you can see the number of views on a post before you click on it.  However, sometimes it would be nice to not have to click the back button and scroll through all of the post listings to find the one you were just on to see the view count.  Additionally, when looking at an old post, this can become difficult and time consuming to do.  It also may be nice to see the number of comments on a post next to the view count.  Since this information is already displayed on next to the post name before clicking on it, hopefully it wouldn't be too difficult to implement.

If I am blind and just missing it somewhere I apologize, but this is something that bothers me pretty much every time I ask a question or try to find an answer to a question on the forums.  Thanks 🙂

-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-

11 minutes ago, colonel_mortis said:

Why do you want to see the view count? It is possible to add, but it seems like a relatively meaningless number.

That's a fair question.  For me, I often post a question and then leave the tab open.  If 100 people see it and nobody responds, I can assume that there probably is not an easy answer.  If only 10 people see it though, I might want to ask it somewhere else and see if it generates more traffic or ask again/bump it in a week or two if the problem continues.

The same logic applies when looking for posts with a similar issue before posting my own.  If I could see that 150 people saw someone's post about it a week or two ago and nobody had an answer, I would know that it isn't something I should expect to get a reply to quickly/at all.  If I see 1000 views or something else very high, I could guess that many other people are having a similar issue, or it was brought up somewhere in tech media.  Currently, when I search for a topic, I can see comment count only and not view count, even before clicking on it so I have absolutely no way of gaging that.

Sometimes this information is easily viewable in comments, but other times there are posts with a decent number of views and no comments.  That's why I think view counts are useful to me personally, although I can't speak for anyone else.

-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-