Ryzen 9 5900x intermittent lag spikes

Go to solution Solved by SwedishFreaK,

@Mavendow @RTX 3071

FOUND A SOLUTION
A user by the name of HarryJDM_ commented on my post on Reddit and he mentioned that he had the same problem and had managed to get footage of the hitch on a stream.
Here is the proof and example of the problem.

The solution was to DISABLE fTPM in BIOS.
Obviously cannot install Windows 11 without it off, then if I can turn it off when I have installed windows 11 without issues I don't know.
But I am in no rush to install it anyway.

There has now been no error all day and been at the computer all day.
Been gaming, working, browsing, idling and watching netflix.
Nothing, it's fixed now.

Just hope this is something that maybe windows or a new BIOS update can fix? Cause eventually I will want to install Windows 11.
PS. Did not install Windows 11 before finding this fix, so don't know if going to Win 11 fixes it, but seen comments saying it does not.

1 minute ago, Mavendow said:

All it did was stop the script from running.

Ah sorry I didnt see that first reply, my bad. Sure here's a new system log.

SystemLog19012022.evtx

· ᛁᚠ · ᚢᚬᚢ · ᛅᛏ · ᛘᛁ · ᛅᚾᛏ · ᚦᛁᚾᚴ · ᛁᛚ · ᚴᛁᚠᛁ · ᚢᚬᚢ · ᛘᚢ · ᛋᚴᛁᚾᛋ · ᛒᛚᛁᛅᛋᛁ · ᚴᚬ · ᚠᚢᚴ · ᚢᚬᚢᚱ · ᛋᛁᛚᚠ ·

2 minutes ago, Mavendow said:

You don't have the XboxGamingApp bug, so the script doesn't need any more entries. This one should do it. Repair.zip

Yea I found something about removing some keys in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Ole
Deleting keys:
- DefaultAccessPermission
- DefaultLaunchPermission
- MachineAccessRestriction
- MachineLaunchRestriction

And then following the clsid from the 10016 error and adding full rights to admins on that clsid/appid.

Still get random 10016 errors but gonna leave them alone unless I get the hitch/freeze again, I'll also run your script as well. Thank you.

· ᛁᚠ · ᚢᚬᚢ · ᛅᛏ · ᛘᛁ · ᛅᚾᛏ · ᚦᛁᚾᚴ · ᛁᛚ · ᚴᛁᚠᛁ · ᚢᚬᚢ · ᛘᚢ · ᛋᚴᛁᚾᛋ · ᛒᛚᛁᛅᛋᛁ · ᚴᚬ · ᚠᚢᚴ · ᚢᚬᚢᚱ · ᛋᛁᛚᚠ ·

14 minutes ago, SwedishFreaK said:

Yea I found something about removing some keys in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Ole
Deleting keys:
- DefaultAccessPermission
- DefaultLaunchPermission
- MachineAccessRestriction
- MachineLaunchRestriction

And then following the clsid from the 10016 error and adding full rights to admins on that clsid/appid.

Still get random 10016 errors but gonna leave them alone unless I get the hitch/freeze again, I'll also run your script as well. Thank you.

Absolutely not, do not delete those keys. Adding full admin access is even worse. That will make your computer vulnerable to attacks directly from the internet without you even downloading any malware. Microsoft OLE is used by many software including, for example, Microsoft Office, so running any program using OLE would leave a security hole open if that software accessed the internet for any reason. Whoever wrote that website should be sued.

My repair script just adds the missing permissions to your user account and nothing more. You can see which permissions it's editing in the _lib.cmd file.

19 minutes ago, Mavendow said:

Absolutely not, do not delete those keys. Adding full admin access is even worse. That will make your computer vulnerable to attacks directly from the internet without you even downloading any malware. Microsoft OLE is used by many software including, for example, Microsoft Office, so running any program using OLE would leave a security hole open if that software accessed the internet for any reason. Whoever wrote that website should be sued.

My repair script just adds the missing permissions to your user account and nothing more. You can see which permissions it's editing in the _lib.cmd file.

Alright, all good. Always make backups. I'll restore it now and change owner back to trusted installer.

1 hour ago, SwedishFreaK said:

Alright, all good. Always make backups. I'll restore it now and change owner back to trusted installer.

You'll probably have to type

NT SERVICE\TrustedInstaller

because it cannot be directly named in the security panel. Unless that has changed in recent versions of windows, which I haven't checked.

48 minutes ago, Mavendow said:

You'll probably have to type

NT SERVICE\TrustedInstaller

because it cannot be directly named in the security panel. Unless that has changed in recent versions of windows, which I haven't checked.

Yes okay, everything is back to before I jumped into the registry thinking I was helping but just opening myself open to get rammed 😛
Should I re run your script or should I be all good now?

Everything is back to TrustedInstaller as owner and no admin has full rights anymore like it was before.

31 minutes ago, SwedishFreaK said:

Yes okay, everything is back to before I jumped into the registry thinking I was helping but just opening myself open to get rammed 😛
Should I re run your script or should I be all good now?

Everything is back to TrustedInstaller as owner and no admin has full rights anymore like it was before.

If you still have lag, yeah. It's not necessary if you don't but it will prevent DCOM from messing anything else up. Typically, what'll happen is DCOM will lock up Windows Update at random and then you'll have OS corruption from a half-completed update. I spent like 3 weeks debugging because "something" screwed up my computer in 2015 and I eventually found it was DCOM's fault. Until then, I also thought DCOM errors were harmless like most people.

38 minutes ago, Mavendow said:

If you still have lag, yeah. It's not necessary if you don't but it will prevent DCOM from messing anything else up. Typically, what'll happen is DCOM will lock up Windows Update at random and then you'll have OS corruption from a half-completed update. I spent like 3 weeks debugging because "something" screwed up my computer in 2015 and I eventually found it was DCOM's fault. Until then, I also thought DCOM errors were harmless like most people.

Thank you ran it again, it didnt restart anymore automatically but it set the permissions (Atleast it gave me green in the CMD) and I rebooted manually.
I'll keep you both in the loop if it returns still.

10 minutes ago, SwedishFreaK said:

Thank you ran it again, it didnt restart anymore automatically but it set the permissions (Atleast it gave me green in the CMD) and I rebooted manually.
I'll keep you both in the loop if it returns still.

Yeah, I tested it this time, it does work lol. But it will take a few minutes. Guess I'll add more text so people know what the script is doing. Anyway, if you're not having any issues and the permissions are set correctly then that's plenty and no more needs to be done.

1 hour ago, Mavendow said:

Yeah, I tested it this time, it does work lol. But it will take a few minutes. Guess I'll add more text so people know what the script is doing. Anyway, if you're not having any issues and the permissions are set correctly then that's plenty and no more needs to be done.

Immersive Shell is throwing a DCOM 10016 error what looks like intervals of 5 seconds.
No freeze yet though, but figured I'd mention that.

4 hours ago, SwedishFreaK said:

Immersive Shell is throwing a DCOM 10016 error what looks like intervals of 5 seconds.
No freeze yet though, but figured I'd mention that.

Does it say:

... to the user NT AUTHORITY\LOCAL SERVICE ...

Or does it say your username? If it's your username, then just let windows deal with that by running these two commands:

dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth
sfc /scannow

If those don't work then there's another way to fix it but it involves rebuilding the Windows Update catalog... Which takes many hours. Honestly, it's not worth it. The chance it will corrupt your OS is zero because it already has the permissions it needs and it's basically throwing a tantrum. It'll be fixed when Windows Update updates the ImmersiveShell.

If it's LOCAL SERVICE then this could be what caused your original issue. LOCAL SERVICE is a very restricted user account but should still have access to the ImmersiveShell. Otherwise windows would not be able to show or access universal apps within that execution context. Which means Windows Update may not be able to modify that user account correctly. In that case, please show the full error text so I can grab the necessary information to make another script. This will probably be the last one.

4 hours ago, Mavendow said:

Does it say:

Or does it say your username? If it's your username, then just let windows deal with that by running these two commands:

sfc /scannow

If those don't work then there's another way to fix it but it involves rebuilding the Windows Update catalog... Which takes many hours. Honestly, it's not worth it. The chance it will corrupt your OS is zero because it already has the permissions it needs and it's basically throwing a tantrum. It'll be fixed when Windows Update updates the ImmersiveShell.

If it's LOCAL SERVICE then this could be what caused your original issue. LOCAL SERVICE is a very restricted user account but should still have access to the ImmersiveShell. Otherwise windows would not be able to show or access universal apps within that execution context. Which means Windows Update may not be able to modify that user account correctly. In that case, please show the full error text so I can grab the necessary information to make another script. This will probably be the last one.

these are the errors it throws, it throws a couple to ten with an interval of 5 seconds ish.
{C2F03A33-21F5-47FA-B4BB-156362A2F239} refers to immersive shell at least

Logs.evtx

13 hours ago, Mavendow said:

Does it say:

sfc /scannow

End of the day it happened once today that I noticed during working.
Log shows about 400 or so Immersive Shell 10016s

Log.evtx

35 minutes ago, SwedishFreaK said:

End of the day it happened once today that I noticed during working.
Log shows about 400 or so Immersive Shell 10016s

Log.evtx 13.07 MB · 0 downloads

Wow, SYSTEM! That means the account with the highest permissions on your computer is being denied access to the ImmersiveShell. I've never seen that before. No way in hell is that correct. Basically, DCOM is meant to be a fallback when the OS fails some operation the normal way. So if SYSTEM is being denied access through the normal route it'll fall back to DCOM. If DCOM also fails it has no other options. The following script should fix this (does not need a restart): Repair.zip

This script will not automatically close. Since we're dealing with a SYSTEM permissions issue, please review it for any errors when it finishes. This is because even Run as Administrator may not work correctly when SYSTEM is denied. This may be why my second script didn't work correctly after I had already fixed the bug.

6 hours ago, Mavendow said:

Wow, SYSTEM! That means the account with the highest permissions on your computer is being denied access to the ImmersiveShell. I've never seen that before. No way in hell is that correct. Basically, DCOM is meant to be a fallback when the OS fails some operation the normal way. So if SYSTEM is being denied access through the normal route it'll fall back to DCOM. If DCOM also fails it has no other options. The following script should fix this (does not need a restart): Repair.zip

This script will not automatically close. Since we're dealing with a SYSTEM permissions issue, please review it for any errors when it finishes. This is because even Run as Administrator may not work correctly when SYSTEM is denied. This may be why my second script didn't work correctly after I had already fixed the bug.

Ran fine, no more immersive shell errors. Am getting microsoft gaming app 10016s still though. Although not tested enough yet to know if those also cause hitches.

16 hours ago, SwedishFreaK said:

Ran fine, no more immersive shell errors. Am getting microsoft gaming app 10016s still though. Although not tested enough yet to know if those also cause hitches.

If the errors again specify some account other than your own you can add the following lines to the top of _lib.cmd:

CD %~dp0
REG IMPORT "Enable Powershell_CU.reg"

Then put the erroring AppID (the second long string of letters and numbers) into the line where it says GrantPermission. After that, on the same line, change

-Account "SYSTEM"

to the account name specified in the error. Then just run _lib.cmd instead of RunMe.cmd since the latter will also run sfc and DISM. I don't want you to keep having to come back to grab scripts when it appears we've already cleaned the lion's share of the corruption.

Beware, however, you should not grant these permissions to <Account Unknown>, unprivileged user accounts, or similar. System, service, TrustedInstaller, and administrator accounts are okay. Once you're done, just double-click "Disable Powershell_CU.reg" as this will return your system's powershell security to default.

@Mavendow @RTX 3071
So it happened again, it very rare now though but would be nice if I could get it to stop completely, cause it makes me have to restart my voicemeeter drivers every time it hitches. (I dont have voicemeeter now installed but I want to install it, but if it hitches I just cant be arsed)

Should I continue unintalling Xbox gaming app and so or any other way we could narrow this down?

Best Regards and thank you!

30 minutes ago, SwedishFreaK said:

@Mavendow @RTX 3071
So it happened again, it very rare now though but would be nice if I could get it to stop completely, cause it makes me have to restart my voicemeeter drivers every time it hitches. (I dont have voicemeeter now installed but I want to install it, but if it hitches I just cant be arsed)

Should I continue unintalling Xbox gaming app and so or any other way we could narrow this down?

Can you send me your event logs again?

2 hours ago, SwedishFreaK said:

@Mavendow @RTX 3071

Did you do what I was saying regarding the script? If not, just post your event log as RTX mentioned and I'll make another script if needed. I was just trying to give you the option to do it yourself if you wanted.

3 hours ago, RTX 3071 said:

Can you send me your event logs again?

1 hour ago, Mavendow said:

Did you do what I was saying regarding the script? If not, just post your event log as RTX mentioned and I'll make another script if needed. I was just trying to give you the option to do it yourself if you wanted.

Sorry I wrote that then I did some random googling again for like the 100th time but with some different words. And found a post on Tomshardware about disabling all Privacy settings fixing an almost identical error for him. This one -> Horrible lags / slow downs with new ryzen system

1901865003_Skrmbild2022-01-22000959.png.1e727cc7633bdf802a234088c5c2a1e7.png

Disabled it, nothing yet. Although I'm gonna run it for like the whole day tomorrow and monitor it to see. Maybe even two to be sure.
But I will hold off on sending logs and reverting to registry editing again (Only really have dcom errors now when I have the xbox app open)

I appreciate you both very much, and I appreciate that you offered to make me edit the script myself @Mavendow I have been a little weary of running your scripts but looking through them with my limited knowledge I didnt see anything weird. No offense you know ofcourse just the nature of this whole thing being a bit out of my comfort zone.
Been good so far though and you both have helped me a ton. I'll stay in touch but will let this run and monitor it for a day at least before I can draw any sort of conclusion if it's fixed or not.

Thank you both, you two are very much appreciated (I keep saying that word :D)
Wish you both a magnificent weekend!

13 hours ago, SwedishFreaK said:

Sorry I wrote that then I did some random googling again for like the 100th time but with some different words. And found a post on Tomshardware about disabling all Privacy settings fixing an almost identical error for him.

If it works, great. Mark your own post as the solution if it stays good and I'll make note of that for future troubleshooting.

But I will hold off on sending logs and reverting to registry editing again (Only really have dcom errors now when I have the xbox app open)

That's what we were aiming for. You're not going to be able to get rid of every Xbox DCOM error because the app itself is broken. The goal is to set all the permissions correctly and then let WU sort out the rest. As I said, if it shows DCOM errors when the permissions are all set, that means it's basically just throwing a tantrum. It won't be able to corrupt the OS at that point because critical permissions can't be denied.

I appreciate you both very much, and I appreciate that you offered to make me edit the script myself @Mavendow I have been a little weary of running your scripts but looking through them with my limited knowledge I didnt see anything weird. No offense you know ofcourse just the nature of this whole thing being a bit out of my comfort zone.

Oh, but you were okay deleting critical registry keys and setting everything to admin, huh? 😜

It's not rude to be suspicious (it is the internet after all) but I am a bit confused...

Been good so far though and you both have helped me a ton. I'll stay in touch but will let this run and monitor it for a day at least before I can draw any sort of conclusion if it's fixed or not.

Thank you both, you two are very much appreciated (I keep saying that word :D)
Wish you both a magnificent weekend!

Have a good one as well. Glad I was able to help. Just @ us in this thread if you need more help.

54 minutes ago, Mavendow said:

Oh, but you were okay deleting critical registry keys and setting everything to admin, huh? 😜

It's not rude to be suspicious (it is the internet after all) but I am a bit confused...

Yea fair point. I dont know what I was thinking guess I didn't really consider what it all could lead too, just was desperate for a fix. 😄

Well it happened again, this is so frustrating. Could it be my ryzen cpu at low load something with the voltages?
It happened during a round in Tarkov today so I dunno what to make of that.

Anyway sad to say but dont think the privacy setting were it... was so promising.
@Mavendow @RTX 3071
Here are todays logs.

SystemLog.evtx