Ryzen 9 5900x intermittent lag spikes

Go to solution Solved by SwedishFreaK,

@Mavendow @RTX 3071

FOUND A SOLUTION
A user by the name of HarryJDM_ commented on my post on Reddit and he mentioned that he had the same problem and had managed to get footage of the hitch on a stream.
Here is the proof and example of the problem.

The solution was to DISABLE fTPM in BIOS.
Obviously cannot install Windows 11 without it off, then if I can turn it off when I have installed windows 11 without issues I don't know.
But I am in no rush to install it anyway.

There has now been no error all day and been at the computer all day.
Been gaming, working, browsing, idling and watching netflix.
Nothing, it's fixed now.

Just hope this is something that maybe windows or a new BIOS update can fix? Cause eventually I will want to install Windows 11.
PS. Did not install Windows 11 before finding this fix, so don't know if going to Win 11 fixes it, but seen comments saying it does not.

So I recently bought a new pc got myself a Ryzen 9 5900x and I randomly (I would say every other hour or so) get a lag spike. It stutters everything freezes for a split second including sound and then everything is fine again for another hour or two.

It is very annoying cause it happens regardless of what I'm doing. I have tried numerous fixes, I first noticed it with having Voicemeeter installed, so I uninstalled it and removed and cleaned up all the drivers for it. Then I tried removing Nahimic and other audio drivers and bloatware except the Realtek driver, tried updating realtek no change.

Then I read on a forum people had experience stutters from GSync so I disabled that, no change.

Then I disabled cortana and Xbox DVR which also had reports of causing stutters.

Then I tried to update both my lan driver and my realtek sound card again but for some reason it would not let me.Then I read something about a drive going to sleep being the problem so I disabled that, no change.

I'm at a loss, I paid a lot of money for this computer and now i'm starting to wonder if I should RMA it? Last thing I've read is changing voltage on ram and cpu or either to fix it but I dont know.

Any thought on this matter? I'd appreciate any input.

EDIT: Forgot to add other info about system.
Ryzen 9 5900x
ASUS ROG STRIX x570-f Gaming Motherboard
64GB G.SKILL TridentZ CL16 3600MHZ (XMP enabled)
RTX 3080ti

Any help is appreciated!
Best Regards

- Michael

· ᛁᚠ · ᚢᚬᚢ · ᛅᛏ · ᛘᛁ · ᛅᚾᛏ · ᚦᛁᚾᚴ · ᛁᛚ · ᚴᛁᚠᛁ · ᚢᚬᚢ · ᛘᚢ · ᛋᚴᛁᚾᛋ · ᛒᛚᛁᛅᛋᛁ · ᚴᚬ · ᚠᚢᚴ · ᚢᚬᚢᚱ · ᛋᛁᛚᚠ ·

Can you please export and send the "System" log from Event Viewer? It might have some useful things for this issue.

55 minutes ago, RTX 3071 said:

Can you please export and send the "System" log from Event Viewer? It might have some useful things for this issue.

Here you go, has not happened in a couple hours now.

SystemLog.csv

· ᛁᚠ · ᚢᚬᚢ · ᛅᛏ · ᛘᛁ · ᛅᚾᛏ · ᚦᛁᚾᚴ · ᛁᛚ · ᚴᛁᚠᛁ · ᚢᚬᚢ · ᛘᚢ · ᛋᚴᛁᚾᛋ · ᛒᛚᛁᛅᛋᛁ · ᚴᚬ · ᚠᚢᚴ · ᚢᚬᚢᚱ · ᛋᛁᛚᚠ ·

38 minutes ago, SwedishFreaK said:

Here you go, has not happened in a couple hours now.

SystemLog.csv 3.22 MB · 0 downloads

Can you please export in .evtx format because it exports as the language you have on your system when you export with csv and I can't read that.

I seem to have the same problem with my Ryzen 9 system. I am on linux, so I would not be able to export the events, but do have syslogs if you would be interested. The thing I see is that it is just window updates that freeze, the mouse can still move freely over the screen, and sometimes I can even get some of the mouseover effects.

M

2 minutes ago, mGoodwin said:

I seem to have the same problem with my Ryzen 9 system. I am on linux, so I would not be able to export the events, but do have syslogs if you would be interested. The thing I see is that it is just window updates that freeze, the mouse can still move freely over the screen, and sometimes I can even get some of the mouseover effects.

M

I'm not really confident with my Linux debugging to be honest but can you post full system specs?

So here is my setup:

- be quiet Dark Base Pro 900 Rev.2 Silver with Window ATX Chassis   
      - ASUS TUF B550-PLUS GAMING AM4 ATX Motherboard                     
      - AMD Ryzen 9 5950X 3.4GHz 105W 16C/32T 72MB CPU (Requires Graphics)
      - Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 3200MHz Memory           
      - Noctua NH-U14S Ultra-Quiet Slim CPU Cooler with NF-A15 fan        
      - FSP Hydro PTM Pro 1000W Semi-Fanless Modular PSU, 80+ Platinum OEM
      - Quiet PC IEC C13 Euro Mains Power Cord, 2m (Type F)               
      - Samsung 980 PRO 500GB PCIe 4.0 M.2 NVMe SSD (6900/5000)           

To this added a

* ASUS TUF RTX 3090 O24G Gaming

* ASUS ThunderboltEX 4 PCIe Expansion card

And some bigger spinning disks, where I keep my user files.

36 minutes ago, mGoodwin said:

So here is my setup:

- be quiet Dark Base Pro 900 Rev.2 Silver with Window ATX Chassis   
      - ASUS TUF B550-PLUS GAMING AM4 ATX Motherboard                     
      - AMD Ryzen 9 5950X 3.4GHz 105W 16C/32T 72MB CPU (Requires Graphics)
      - Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 3200MHz Memory           
      - Noctua NH-U14S Ultra-Quiet Slim CPU Cooler with NF-A15 fan        
      - FSP Hydro PTM Pro 1000W Semi-Fanless Modular PSU, 80+ Platinum OEM
      - Quiet PC IEC C13 Euro Mains Power Cord, 2m (Type F)               

To this added a

* ASUS TUF RTX 3090 O24G Gaming

* ASUS ThunderboltEX 4 PCIe Expansion card

And some bigger spinning disks, where I keep my user files.

Does this happen when the system is on load? Because I'm not sure if your motherboard can handle that CPU as well as all these storage devices at the same time.

It does not seem to be related to load, mostly it is when doing office stuff, like reading mail or some such.

7 minutes ago, mGoodwin said:

It does not seem to be related to load, mostly it is when doing office stuff, like reading mail or some such.

Hmm interesting. Maybe when I review OP's event logs I can find something which will help you as well.

1 hour ago, RTX 3071 said:

Hmm interesting. Maybe when I review OP's event logs I can find something which will help you as well.

Sorry for slow response, here you go, should be readable now 😄

SystemLog.evtx

6 hours ago, RTX 3071 said:

Ok when I'm free I will take a look.

Really appreciate it!

9 hours ago, SwedishFreaK said:

Really appreciate it!

Uninstall your Nvidia driver with DDU in safe mode, remove GeForce Experience as well.
And after that install it again.

If these don't work, try these one by one (try them one by one and if it doesn't get fixed, move to the next solution):
- Update the driver for: Intel(R) I211 Gigabit Network Connection from motherboard manufactorer's site (or if it's external, from Intel, not Device Manager
- Check for any devices with a yellow exclamation mark from Device Manager's HID (Human Interface Devices), especially the device HID\VID_046D&PID_0AAA&MI_03&Col02\9&320a6035&0&0001. If there's any, please inform me.
- Uninstall the "Xbox" Microsoft app
- Disable Hyper-V
- Uninstall Drive

57 minutes ago, RTX 3071 said:

Removing the app from the Uninstall panel will not remove the faulting DCOM module. Unfortunately, there is a PowerShell command to forcibly remove that module from UWP but doing so will break UWP's permissions structure. That will cause Windows Update to fail because UWP is very strict about the Xbox app's DRM.

The following script will repair the faulting DCOM permissions and also run sfc / DISM / chkdsk. It will reboot the PC when it's done. Don't hit any keys on startup so it can run the disk integrity check. Repair.zip

12 hours ago, RTX 3071 said:

Uninstall your Nvidia driver with DDU in safe mode, remove GeForce Experience as well.

If these don't work, try these one by one (try them one by one and if it doesn't get fixed, move to the next solution):
- Update the driver for: Intel(R) I211 Gigabit Network Connection from motherboard manufactorer's site (or if it's external, from Intel, not Device Manager
- Check for any devices with a yellow exclamation mark from Device Manager's HID (Human Interface Devices), especially the device HID\VID_046D&PID_0AAA&MI_03&Col02\9&320a6035&0&0001. If there's any, please inform me.
- Disable Hyper-V
- Uninstall Drive

11 hours ago, Mavendow said:

Removing the app from the Uninstall panel will not remove the faulting DCOM module. Unfortunately, there is a PowerShell command to forcibly remove that module from UWP but doing so will break UWP's permissions structure. That will cause Windows Update to fail because UWP is very strict about the Xbox app's DRM.

The following script will repair the faulting DCOM permissions and also run sfc / DISM / chkdsk. It will reboot the PC when it's done. Don't hit any keys on startup so it can run the disk integrity check. Repair.zip

Thank you both, will go through all of this and come back to let you know how it went.

On 1/15/2022 at 11:33 PM, RTX 3071 said:

- Disable Hyper-V
- Uninstall Drive

Hope I am not jinxing it by saying it but I started with reinstalling the intel network card drivers, and cleaned up and installed the realtek drivers again. No change.

Then at the end of the day (yesterday) I did the DDU uninstall and clean up in safe mode and reinstalled the nvidia drivers.
So far (Longer period than I have noticed before) used computer for about 6 hours, and no freeze/hitch so far. Played games, idled, browsed the web, watched a movie and continued working in Unreal Engine and Maya and nothing so far. (Used to happen every 2-3 hours)

Hope I didnt jinx it now haha.

Thank you for all the guidance and taking your time to go through my logs. Appreciate you so god damn much, you have no idea.

I'll write again if it hitches and continue with next steps then.

Edited by SwedishFreaK
Rephrasing

On 1/16/2022 at 12:30 AM, Mavendow said:

And you too ofcourse thank you for your time. So far I have not needed to get to your solutions yet, hope the freeze/hitch doesnt come back.
Appreciate you a ton!

39 minutes ago, SwedishFreaK said:

And you too ofcourse thank you for your time. So far I have not needed to get to your solutions yet, hope the freeze/hitch doesnt come back.
Appreciate you a ton!

Great! Less work is better.

If you have any future problems, then run that script. Faulting DCOM modules can corrupt the OS at random despite many internet sources suggesting they are benign (including LTT itself). It would not be a warning in the Event Log if it meant nothing! Just FYI, however, It won't work on any computer other than yours because I entered your computer's particular DCOM faults in the script code.

On 1/15/2022 at 11:33 PM, RTX 3071 said:

- Disable Hyper-V
- Uninstall Drive

On 1/17/2022 at 8:42 PM, Mavendow said:

Great! Less work is better.

If you have any future problems, then run that script. Faulting DCOM modules can corrupt the OS at random despite many internet sources suggesting they are benign (including LTT itself). It would not be a warning in the Event Log if it meant nothing! Just FYI, however, It won't work on any computer other than yours because I entered your computer's particular DCOM faults in the script code.

So it was fine until I opened the xbox app to install a game, and then I noticed it again. Although it was milder now, still annoying though. And my system log is full of just DCOM 10016 XboxGaming app.

So what I did is I attempted to fix that error with some guides, backups of the registry made ofc.
It involved tracing the clsid and finding what app, so on startup PerApptimeBroker gave me a DCOM 10016 so I went to change rights to this and give admins full rights to this key but it told me I cant. Dunno what to do next there, so I ran your script @Mavendow and it started and shutdown, pc has not restarted yet and should take that long for it restart I feel.

1 hour ago, SwedishFreaK said:

So it was fine until I opened the xbox app to install a game, and then I noticed it again. Although it was milder now, still annoying though. And my system log is full of just DCOM 10016 XboxGaming app.

So what I did is I attempted to fix that error with some guides, backups of the registry made ofc.
It involved tracing the clsid and finding what app, so on startup PerApptimeBroker gave me a DCOM 10016 so I went to change rights to this and give admins full rights to this key but it told me I cant. Dunno what to do next there, so I ran your script @Mavendow and it started and shutdown, pc has not restarted yet and should take that long for it restart I feel.

Yes, that is what my script was intended to fix. Unfortunately, I tried updating it for your issues and I made a blunder. Basically, your DCOM issues need to be fixed before running sfc and DISM (unlike most of the repairs I've done), but the script format doesn't allow that. I've modified it so it launches the DCOM repairs in a separate process.

However, this script does not include a XboxGaming app fix (it's only fixing the GamingApp, not XboxGaming) so please upload a new System log so I can get the correct info. I will post a new repair script once I have that DCOM entry.

1 hour ago, SwedishFreaK said:

Well, "fixing" these DCOM permissions might have its harm to Windows. These aren't meant to be touched and needs to get fixed by Microsoft. You will see these on even a new Windows install.
And you should always create a restore point before doing any of these.

1 minute ago, RTX 3071 said:

Well, "fixing" these DCOM permissions might have its harm to Windows. These aren't meant to be touched and needs to get fixed by Microsoft. You will see these on even a new Windows install.
And you should always create a restore point before doing any of these.

That's simply not true. Windows is buggy and this is one of these bugs, which, I have a script that fixes it. I made a typo in his script though.

31 minutes ago, Mavendow said:

That's simply not true. Windows is buggy and this is one of these bugs, which, I have a script that fixes it. I made a typo in his script though.

What was the typo and should I be worried about it? 😛

4 minutes ago, SwedishFreaK said:

What was the typo and should I be worried about it? 😛

Unfortunately, I tried updating it for your issues and I made a blunder. Basically, your DCOM issues need to be fixed before running sfc and DISM (unlike most of the repairs I've done), but the script format doesn't allow that. I've modified it so it launches the DCOM repairs in a separate process.

However, this script does not include a XboxGaming app fix (it's only fixing the GamingApp, not XboxGaming) so please upload a new System log so I can get the correct info. I will post a new repair script once I have that DCOM entry.

All it did was stop the script from running.