One of a kind - RISC-V SBC StarFive now being delivered

williamcll

image.thumb.png.043b16453c572ce8b57eafad3a670471.png

On sale since last month, the first commercially available (self proclaimed) RISC-V SBC is now being delivered, as well as adding support on Linux. It is however a bit costly at ~170 USD.

Quotes

vj6Nn4zbFwQ6VcDkSGxYYh-970-80.jpg.webp

Support for the StarFive JH710 has been merged into the Linux 5.17 kernel, along with support for the prototype BeagleV Starlight which never went into mass production. In case you’re not familiar with the Chinese-developed StarFive JH7100, it’s a SoC with two U74 64bit cores running at 1.5 GHz. It doesn’t have a built-in 3D GPU, but does support 4K output over its HDMI port. It supports LPDDR3 and 4 (the VisionFive V1 board pictured above, for example, comes with 8GB of the latter), Gigabit Ethernet, built-in flash storage, SD cards, Wi-Fi, and various camera modules and LCD panels. Boards even come with a row of GPIO pins like a Raspberry Pi. Phoronix reports that the performance of the U74 is similar to an Arm Cortex A55, the successor to the Cortex A53 chip used in the Raspberry Pi Zero 2 W.

My thoughts

The I/O is pretty nice, albeit rather expensive compared to ARM boards like the Pi, if this have another ethernet port it would make a fantastic NAS.

Sources

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/linux-kernel-adds-risc-v-jh7100-support

https://shop.allnetchina.cn/collections/starfive/products/starfive-visionfive-ai-single-board-computer

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

Forgive my ignorance, but what OSes are avail for it currently (or is it embedded options only)

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

Is it really the first? I have a nezha D1 sitting right next to me.

14 minutes ago, Radium_Angel said:

Forgive my ignorance, but what OSes are avail for it currently (or is it embedded options only)

Most linux distros should work, the risc-v support is reasonable.

FX6300 @ 4.2GHz | Gigabyte GA-78LMT-USB3 R2 | Hyper 212x | 3x 8GB + 1x 4GB @ 1600MHz | Gigabyte 2060 Super | Corsair CX650M | LG 43UK6520PSA
ASUS X550LN | i5 4210u | 12GB
Lenovo N23 Yoga

19 hours ago, igormp said:

Is it really the first? I have a nezha D1 sitting right next to me.

Most linux distros should work, the risc-v support is reasonable.

SiFive already had one and came out with another that a bit cheaper. The last one I found out about you could install a GPU w/o an expensive add-on. It also uses a Standard mITX cases.