Need help making a keyboard decision

flaxe
Go to solution Solved by Universes,
13 minutes ago, Flaxe said:

However, this now brings us back to the original question. Should I try repairing my k552 by replacing the switches (and possibly keycaps), or just go order another budget keyboard (G.Skill KM360).

The most objective answer I have is what I originally replied with. 

This is a matter of personal choice. If you really want to base your choice on someone else's opinion, then I would just get a replacement keyboard. 

I'm currently in a slight dillema of some sorts. I have myself a redragon k552 keyboard, which i tempest, foam case, bandaid modded and lubed. This entire process took me 10+ hours (first time dealing with a keyboard) but as you should expect from a novice keyboard modder, certain keys stopped registering 7/10 I press on them (most notably the enter key). As a temporary solution, I bought a heavily discounted RK61 for the price of $20 from my friend. However, the cherry mx blue switches are driving me insane! I have two proposed solutions and I want to know which I should go for. Should I A: try and attempt to fix my k552 by buying new switches for it (although the switches are not guaranteed the issue) or B: try buying a new keyboard altogether; which will probably be the G.Skill km360 and ditch the k552 for good.

If cost and time are the biggest factor, do you think attempting to fix the K552 is worth it especially when it still may not work after 'fixing' it?

If there's something special about the specific K552 that you have, then decide how much it is worth to you. 

Read before asking for help  |  How to respond to a no POST or no power up situation  |  Don't ask to ask, just ask  |  The XY Problem  | Don't just say "Hello" in chat  |  How do I ask a good question?

If my post helped, please give a 'reaction' using the heart 🤍 in the bottom right. 

Make sure to quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

F@H Contribution

BOINC Contribution

HeatWare

"The only difference between a problem and a solution is that people understand the solution."

"Give people permission to make mistakes and the obligation to learn from them."

“The capacity to learn is a gift; The ability to learn is a skill; The willingness to learn is a choice.” - Brian Herbert

"People will never truly understand something until it happens to them."

"I usually give people more chances than they deserve but once I'm done, I'm done."

CPU AMD Ryzen 7 3700X  |  Motherboard Gigabyte X570 Gaming X  |  RAM Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB 3600MHz  |  GPU ZOTAC GAMING GeForce RTX 3070 Ti Trinity OC |  Case BitFenix Ghost  |  Storage HP EX920 1TB, Samsung 840 EVO 250GB, WD Black 8TB, Seagate Barracuda 4TB  |  PSU Seasonic Prime GX-750  |  Displays Lenovo ThinkVision P27q-20, Dell UP2716D  |  Cooling Noctua NH-D15  |  Operating System Windows 10 Home

I don't really think there's anything special about my k552, other than the hours put into it. That said, it was expected for it to take hours to lube anyway. I think what I'm trying to say is that I'm deciding if the k552's case/pcb is worth salvaging for high-end switches and keycaps. If not, I'll just take the Km360.

Sorry for the weird explanation on my post above.

12 minutes ago, Universes said:

If cost and time are the biggest factor, do you think attempting to fix the K552 is worth it especially when it still may not work after 'fixing' it?

If there's something special about the specific K552 that you have, then decide how much it is worth to you. 

30 minutes ago, Flaxe said:

I think what I'm trying to say is that I'm deciding if the k552's case/pcb is worth salvaging for high-end switches and keycaps. If not, I'll just take the Km360.

Unless I don't see it, it doesn't look like the switches are swappable, so that would mean you're using a soldering iron to removing and attach new switches. Even then, why 'waste' high end switches and keycaps on a regular case? 

Read before asking for help  |  How to respond to a no POST or no power up situation  |  Don't ask to ask, just ask  |  The XY Problem  | Don't just say "Hello" in chat  |  How do I ask a good question?

If my post helped, please give a 'reaction' using the heart 🤍 in the bottom right. 

Make sure to quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

F@H Contribution

BOINC Contribution

HeatWare

"The only difference between a problem and a solution is that people understand the solution."

"Give people permission to make mistakes and the obligation to learn from them."

“The capacity to learn is a gift; The ability to learn is a skill; The willingness to learn is a choice.” - Brian Herbert

"I usually give people more chances than they deserve but once I'm done, I'm done."

CPU AMD Ryzen 7 3700X  |  Motherboard Gigabyte X570 Gaming X  |  RAM Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB 3600MHz  |  GPU ZOTAC GAMING GeForce RTX 3070 Ti Trinity OC |  Case BitFenix Ghost  |  Storage HP EX920 1TB, Samsung 840 EVO 250GB, WD Black 8TB, Seagate Barracuda 4TB  |  PSU Seasonic Prime GX-750  |  Displays Lenovo ThinkVision P27q-20, Dell UP2716D  |  Cooling Noctua NH-D15  |  Operating System Windows 10 Home

1 minute ago, Universes said:

Unless I don't see it, it doesn't look like the switches are swappable, so that would mean you're using a soldering iron to removing and attach new switches. Even then, why 'waste' high end switches and keycaps on a regular case? 

The switches are in fact hot swappable; I just plucked them out of the case and lubed them. As for 'wasting' high end switches and keycaps, I felt as though that would be appropriate since it's either that, or get an entirely new keyboard. In hindsight, it does seem to be a waste and assuming I try to repair my k552, I should opt for more budget friendly switches/keycaps. However, this now brings us back to the original question. Should I try repairing my k552 by replacing the switches (and possibly keycaps), or just go order another budget keyboard (G.Skill KM360).

13 minutes ago, Flaxe said:

However, this now brings us back to the original question. Should I try repairing my k552 by replacing the switches (and possibly keycaps), or just go order another budget keyboard (G.Skill KM360).

The most objective answer I have is what I originally replied with. 

This is a matter of personal choice. If you really want to base your choice on someone else's opinion, then I would just get a replacement keyboard. 

F@H Contribution

BOINC Contribution

HeatWare