Weird 10gbe network card problem, with 12600k.

bullet901

I brought 2 MNPA19-XTR 10GB Mellanox ConnectX-2 10Gbe network cards for faster speeds between unraid and windows 11. installed the 1st network card into the unraid server works no problem. installed the 2nd one into my windows 11 PC with a 12600k in it and blue screens. so then i tried it in a pc with a intel i3-8100 with windows 10. no blue screen works fine. So i cleaned installed windows 10 on my 12600k build. thinking windows 11 was the problem. nope blue screens with a clean install of windows 10. So i took a stab in the dark and disabled the E cores on my 12600k. boots just fine -_- so i recover my windows 11 build. disable the E cores and it works just fine. so i enable 1 E-core works fine enable 2 works fine enable 3 boots but unstable. enable 4 and it wont boot into windows at all.

Motherboard: Z690M AORUS ELITE DDR4 (rev 1.0) 

4 E-cores enable Blue screen: system thread exception not handled, what failed mlx4eth63.sys, and 

3 E-cores enable and testing file trasnfer: irql less or equal 

disalbing 2 P cores also fixes the blue screen. now i am even more confused 

Oh dude, ConnectX-2 is obsolete. The V3 is already getting old, but V2... That thing has serious issues from the inside out. I've seen and heard errors and complaints on the V2 series for years now. UEFI compatibility with newer boards is questionable at best, and I would be amazed if any OS newer than Win8.1 would even boot much less recognize and use the V2 series.

You could try doing a firmware update, but I have no idea if firmware for V2 cards is available anymore...

uhh i see, i should have done more research about it (facepalm). it's just so weird disabling any 2 cpu cores fixes everything and it runs just fine.i found firmware for the v2 card if updating it doesn't work, do you think i should buy and try a v3 card with my 12600k build ?

• 7 months later...

I have this same issue with my connect-x 3 card after upgrading from my 3rd gen to a 12600k. I've tried all different versions of drivers I can find. Tried different combinations of disabling the P and E cores. Ensured my bios is up to date. Made sure windows was up to date. Looked all over the bios for a setting I might be missing but didn't find anything. Even with no drivers installed, if the card is plugged in it will boot and about 10 seconds later it blue screens. Sorry for the poor image but I get this error. This is on a fresh install of windows since I installed fresh with the new build, so I have not tried doing a reinstall. I confirmed the card works on another machine that is running truenas. Wondering if it's just not compatible with this new hardware or maybe it's a windows issue. Could try booting Ubuntu to see if it works there with this hardware. Any other ideas?

PXL_20220908_222443814.jpg

• 1 month later...
On 9/10/2022 at 3:44 PM, Bear_Cannons said:

I have this same issue with my connect-x 3 card after upgrading from my 3rd gen to a 12600k. I've tried all different versions of drivers I can find. Tried different combinations of disabling the P and E cores. Ensured my bios is up to date. Made sure windows was up to date. Looked all over the bios for a setting I might be missing but didn't find anything. Even with no drivers installed, if the card is plugged in it will boot and about 10 seconds later it blue screens. Sorry for the poor image but I get this error. This is on a fresh install of windows since I installed fresh with the new build, so I have not tried doing a reinstall. I confirmed the card works on another machine that is running truenas. Wondering if it's just not compatible with this new hardware or maybe it's a windows issue. Could try booting Ubuntu to see if it works there with this hardware. Any other ideas?

PXL_20220908_222443814.jpg

Interesting disabling 4 cores made it stable after I found out 2 would blue screen after a file transfer started. If you have made any progress would be great to hear back. I wonder what motherboard you are using I am on a z690m aorus elite ddr4. Are you on ddr5 ? What makes my older card work but not your newer one