What Speakers should I get for $300

Hello everyone.
I am looking for new speakers since I will be selling mine. I will almost never be playing video games with them since I have headphones for that. I'm looking for speakers to use when listening to music and consuming other forms of media on my PC. I want to spend no more than $300. I would prefer two speakers and a sub, or just two speakers. I don't have a sound-card or amp either. 

-Corsair 750D - MSI Mpower Z77 - 3570k @ 4.21 -Corsair H60- 8GB Corsair Vengeance 2133 Mhz- Corsair RM850 - MSI 780 Lightning -256GB SSD- 2 1TB HDDs - LG 23' Flatron - Razer Death Adder - Ducky Shine 3 Cherry MX Blue - Logitech z506 5.1-

Project - Bloody Lightning

Linus currently makes a Series of speaker reviews. Stay tuned for that. 

I know he is making videos on that. But I am probably going to buy them soon. I don't want to wait for him.

-Corsair 750D - MSI Mpower Z77 - 3570k @ 4.21 -Corsair H60- 8GB Corsair Vengeance 2133 Mhz- Corsair RM850 - MSI 780 Lightning -256GB SSD- 2 1TB HDDs - LG 23' Flatron - Razer Death Adder - Ducky Shine 3 Cherry MX Blue - Logitech z506 5.1-

I know he is making videos on that. But I am probably going to buy them soon. I don't want to wait for him.

You  can't wait a couple of days? 

You  can't wait a couple of days? 

I can learn about speakers on the market much faster buy going on forums and looking at already made reviews. That Is why I go on here to talk about things I want to know about. Not trying to seem impatient. 

Those are quite highly rated and often the speakers to beat. Can't go wrong with Audioengines. However, there are Swans on Massdrop for a really good price but those are bigger speakers. What size are you looking for?

Corsair SP2500's are awesome, I love my 2500's. I would recommend a decent sound card with these speakers, otherwise they are great.

SP2500 lose to a lot of offering from real audio companies in that range and a sound card won't do anything since the speakers themselves are powered. 

If I get the 2+ I can get the 30 degree stands and still be under $300. 

Bamboo is cool but it wouldn't match my set up. 

My reccomendation

http://www.amazon.com/M-Audio-Studiophile-Active-Monitor-Speakers/dp/B0051WAM64/ref=sr_ob_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1397624110&sr=8-2

edit- Only reason to spend more on the Audioengine A2+ is if you want to plug a subwoofer in future using the variable line-out.

Uh no. That is not the only reason. Audioengines are like half the size and don't look stupid. Can't say anything sound wise because I haven't listened to both but you can't say there is no reason to get the A2+.

Uh no. That is not the only reason. Audioengines are like half the size and don't look stupid. Can't say anything sound wise because I haven't listened to both but you can't say there is no reason to get the A2+.

The volume control knob is at the back (hopelessly impractical). :mellow:. Agree that they look better.

I admit I have not heard the A2+ in person. I have used the M-Audio AV40 for an extended period and they sounded very good (helped by bigger size than A2+), better than I expected. From what I have read they sound better than the A2+ but not as good as the A5+.

I have a set of the audio engine speakers and they are fantastic. For the price and the size you cant do much better. That said, if you hate bass, these arent for you because they cover up the fact that they dont have great detail for bass response. I personally dont think the bass is overwhelming (and i usually like more neutral headphones), and the great soundstage and "musicality" that they produce is the best of any listening device at this price point. You will never regret buying them.

I have a set of the audio engine speakers and they are fantastic. For the price and the size you cant do much better. That said, if you hate bass, these arent for you because they cover up the fact that they dont have great detail for bass response. I personally dont think the bass is overwhelming (and i usually like more neutral headphones), and the great soundstage and "musicality" that they produce is the best of any listening device at this price point. You will never regret buying them.

What kind of music do you listen to? on a scale of 1-10 what would you rate the bass? I wouldn't mind getting a sub in the future so long as the bass isn't bad stock.

I generally listen to Rock, Folk, Country, Random Access Memories (the only electronic music i have ever liked). Just to be clear by the way, i am not saying the bass is bad, i am saying that it can sometimes overwhelm the other frequencies because of how punchy and realistic it is. On a scale of 1-10, 1 being etymotic er-4 neutral and 10 being just a sub woofer, i would give it a 3.5. 

I generally listen to Rock, Folk, Country, Random Access Memories (the only electronic music i have ever liked). Just to be clear by the way, i am not saying the bass is bad, i am saying that it can sometimes overwhelm the other frequencies because of how punchy and realistic it is. On a scale of 1-10, 1 being etymotic er-4 neutral and 10 being just a sub woofer, i would give it a 3.5. 

Do you have any other speakers that you would recommend?

Well i'll put my two pennies in...

For 300 dollars you're not going to buy much; i would suggest going to swap meet, or salvation army to try to find good speakers, or a decent amp.

Don't fall for any of those all in one kits; most of them are not that good, and will not last that long.

I would look into Harmon Kardon, Marantaz, or a Denon for a receiver. 70-90 watts aside; 120 if possible. 

Speakers would have to be up to your discretion, but I would recommend Infinites, JBLs, Bose, Energy, or B&W

Energy, or JBL subs for price for performance, but the sub shouldn't be a priority.

Get spears with good tweeters for good highs; trust me, good tweeters make all the difference. 

I destroy my enemies when I make them my friends.

~Abraham Lincoln

In times when we are on the brink of destruction, war, and loosing ourselves, let's remember a basic fundamental element of love, forgiveness, and understanding; God bless!

Well i'll put my two pennies in...

For 300 dollars you're not going to buy much; i would suggest going to swap meet, or salvation army to try to find good speakers, or a decent amp.

Don't fall for any of those all in one kits; most of them are not that good, and will not last that long.

I would look into Harmon Kardon, Marantaz, or a Denon for a receiver. 70-90 watts aside; 120 if possible. 

Speakers would have to be up to your discretion, but I would recommend Infinites, JBLs, Bose, Energy, or B&W

Energy, or JBL subs for price for performance, but the sub shouldn't be a priority.

Get spears with good tweeters for good highs; trust me, good tweeters make all the difference. 

This is for a computer setup not home theater. And Bose is overrated anyway. 

This is for a computer setup not home theater. And Bose is overrated anyway. 

I use my home theater as my computer audio system; why use a small one?

Bose are not over rated, and if any thing bose 701s make for some good backs. Back don't need to be that high quality, and bose are cheap.

I destroy my enemies when I make them my friends.

~Abraham Lincoln

In times when we are on the brink of destruction, war, and loosing ourselves, let's remember a basic fundamental element of love, forgiveness, and understanding; God bless!

I use my home theater as my computer audio system; why use a small one?

Bose are not over rated, and if any thing bose 701s make for some good backs. Back don't need to be that high quality, and bose are cheap.

Because almost no one has that amount of room/desk space? A cleaner desk is more productive anyway. Also, what you are suggesting is overkill anyway. You really don't need anything past 20 watts per channel. 

If you haven't purchased your speakers yet check these out

https://www.massdrop.com/buy/swan-d1080-mk-iv-speakers

Really recommended but if you can get it in the US with cheaper shipping that is probably the better choice, I think audio insider sell them

Intel Core i7 930 // GIGABYTE X58-UD7 rev1 // Corsair Dominator 3x4GB // GPU MSI 7870 // Fractal Design R4 // 256GB Samsung SSD 840 Pro 1TB Samsung SpinPoint 3TB Seagate Barracuda  // Corsair 1000W // Dell 2713H // Vortex Poker II Ducky DK9008 // Logitech G400s // SteelSeries Qck+ DotA 2 Edition // Swan D1080-IV Audioengine A5+ Audioengine S8 // ASUS Xonar Essence STX - Albums http://imgur.com/a/wkJSM#2 // http://imgur.com/a/V2idF#0