Nvidia tried so hard to stop this

BellLMG
14 hours ago, DragonGamees said:

...I didn’t use the script [...] I did everything myself

Personally, I agree that this is the better solution. While the Easy GPU-P Script can be useful for people intimidated by Powershell I've found it causes more issues than it prevents and the most stable, streamlined way to get GPU-P working is to write the script yourself.

The Potato Box:

AMD 5950X

EVGA K|NGP|N 3090

128GB 3600 CL16 RAM

The Scrapyard Warrior:

AMD 3950x

EVGA FTW3 2080Ti

64GB 3200 CL16 RAM

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys, I got this up and running on my Asus Flow X16 (3060), without using all the Easy GPU-P scripts. I just used two scripts: " Update-VMGpuPartitionDriver.ps1" and "Add-VMGpuPartitionAdapter", as recommended here:
Tutorial: Passing through GPU to Hyper-V guest VM - Windows 10 Forums (tenforums.com)

Everything works, but I want to force the VM to use my discrete 3060, and it always defaults to the Radeon iGPU. The only way I can get the VM to run using the 3060 is by disabling the iGPU on my host before launching the VM. That is a bit of nuisance. 

I tried not installing the drivers for the Radeon (by passing the NVIDIA gpu name in parameters, and when that didn't work by uninstalling and removing drivers for Radeon on the host before running the scripts), but that just makes the Radeon show up with a ! in the device manager. 

Any way to force the VM to prioritize the 3060 over the iGPU?

Apologies if this has been discussed in the thread, I tried looking for something similar but couldn't find it. 

Wow, now I've run into an even bigger problem:

I'm not using Parsec, but Sunshine/Moonlight combo, but I'm just learning this does NOT play nice with Hyper V enhanced mode. It'll terminate the connection to the VM from my host, and even if I'm not connected to the VM from the host, Moonlight would just terminate the session if the VM is using enhanced mode. It works in basic mode, but enhanced mode is needed to share resources between the host and VM. 

I know I got Moonlight connecting to the VM once in Enhanced mode, but I can't get to that point again. 

Anybody tried this? Any suggestions?

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/2/2023 at 11:36 AM, Mohammadmansur said:

Everything works, but I want to force the VM to use my discrete 3060, and it always defaults to the Radeon iGPU.

Unfortunately, at the moment mobile GPUs are not supported by GPU-P (although you can use the iGPU as you discovered).

The Potato Box:

AMD 5950X

EVGA K|NGP|N 3090

128GB 3600 CL16 RAM

The Scrapyard Warrior:

AMD 3950x

EVGA FTW3 2080Ti

64GB 3200 CL16 RAM

On 2/3/2023 at 6:20 AM, Mohammadmansur said:

...but I'm just learning this does NOT play nice with Hyper V enhanced mode.

Enhanced mode tends to cause issues with any desktop sharing software such as Parsec or Sunshine/Moonlight and I highly recommended you avoid having it enabled. If you need to access files or folders create a shared network drive on your host machine, or another machine such as a NAS if you have one already, and then connect to that while in the virtualized environment.

The Potato Box:

AMD 5950X

EVGA K|NGP|N 3090

128GB 3600 CL16 RAM

The Scrapyard Warrior:

AMD 3950x

EVGA FTW3 2080Ti

64GB 3200 CL16 RAM

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Guys,
So i am gonna get straight to the point- 
I have a Laptop with-
i5-10300 @2.50 Ghz 8-cores

16 GB ram
Nvidia GTX 1650ti 4gb
and a 512GB SSD, Windows 11 Home

I have another PC with
i5-3330 @3.00Ghz 4-cores
8 GB ram
Nvidia Geforce GT-710 2gb
and 1TB and 512GB HDD, Windows 10 Home ( can change to Windows 11 Home )

So my question is can I use Laptop Power to run GTA-V on the PC, we can use Wired connections such as Display cable, ethernets etc. The Laptop won't run Games when PC is playing so i don't need to run on both.

Thank You for replying in advance,
Hoping for positive response!!!

• 2 weeks later...

can i also do this with my amd gpu.

I have a rx 570.

18 hours ago, sierles said:

I have a rx 570.

According to reports from people who have tried, that generation of AMD card has questionable compatibility with GPU-P with some reporting that it works without issue and others finding it completely incompatible. That said, I would try the process and see what your results are since at last some people have been able to get the RX 570/RX 570 working with GPU-P (particularly given the high rate of problems that are caused by nothing more than user-error).

The Potato Box:

AMD 5950X

EVGA K|NGP|N 3090

128GB 3600 CL16 RAM

The Scrapyard Warrior:

AMD 3950x

EVGA FTW3 2080Ti

64GB 3200 CL16 RAM

• 5 weeks later...

Going to add to this thread as I've also gone down the rabbit hole trying this out and I've managed to get almost everything to work. VM installation worked, GPU partitioning worked, was able to get the gpu setup and recognized within the VM, and have Parsec (and IddSampleDriver as a virtual adapter) to be installed.

The one issue I am running into is that Parsec seems to be stuck at ~40-42 fps on transmitting from the VM to my computer. I have verified that the game within the VM itself is running at 100+ fps, host Parsec is set to a high bandwidth and 120 fps, yet the client view is around the 40 fps mark. I have tried using the Hyper-V adapter, the IddSampleDriver adapter and even trying the Parsec trial to utilize their own virtual adapter, but the results are all the same. Anyone have further ideas as to what to try/do in order to get this to work?

For reference, my main displays are both running at 1440p - 144 hertz natively and I have set the adapters within Hyper-V to also run at the same resolution/refresh rate. The VM window itself is set to 64 hertz, however that is a limitation of Hyper-V as I understand it.

Update: I figured it out! The missing piece of the puzzle to get Parsec to 144 FPS is to set Hyper-V to only show the virtual display via the Display Settings -> Show only on 2, which will disable the Hyper-V display. A note to anyone experiencing soft-locking with Parsec/Windows - take Parsec from full-screen to windowed mode before disconnecting.

• 3 months later...

I followed the instructions on the Easy-GPU-PV repo properly as far as I can tell.  I ran the PreChecks.ps1 script and it listed my RTX 4070 GPU.  I downloaded the Win10_22H2_EnglishInternational_x64v1.iso Windows install image, edited the CopyFilesToVM.ps1 script parameters to give a suitable VM name, path to the Windows ISO file, left the GPUName parameter as "AUTO" as I'm using Windows 10 Pro 22H2 x64 as host and guest OS, specified a path for the VHD to a folder that exists on the host's filesystem and ran the script to build the Hyper-V VM.  It promptly created and launched the VM with this console output:

Windows(R) Image to Virtual Hard Disk Converter for Windows(R) 10
Copyright (C) Microsoft Corporation.  All rights reserved.
Version 10.0.14278.1000.amd64fre.rs1_es_media.160201-1707

INFO   : Opening ISO Win10_22H2_EnglishInternational_x64v1.iso...
INFO   : Looking for F:\sources\install.wim...
INFO   : Looking for the requested Windows image in the WIM file
INFO   : Image 6 selected (Professional)...
INFO   : Creating sparse disk...
INFO   : Mounting VHDX...
INFO   : Initializing disk...
INFO   : Creating EFI system partition...
INFO   : Formatting system volume...
INFO   : Setting system partition as ESP...
INFO   : Creating MSR partition...
INFO   : Creating windows partition...
INFO   : Formatting windows volume...
INFO   : Windows path (H:) has been assigned.
INFO   : Windows path (H:) took 1 attempts to be assigned.
INFO   : System volume location: G:
INFO   : Applying image to VHDX. This could take a while...
INFO   : Image was applied successfully. 
INFO   : Applying unattend file (autounattend.xml)...
INFO   : Making image bootable...
INFO   : Drive is bootable.  Cleaning up...
INFO   : Finding and copying driver files for NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4070 to VM. This could take a while...
INFO   : Setting up Parsec to install at boot
INFO   : Dismounting VHDX...
INFO   : Closing Windows image...
INFO   : Done.
Set-VM : The computer 'COMPUTERNAME' could not be resolved. Make sure you typed the machine name correctly and that you have network access.
At C:\users\username\desktop\Easy-GPU-PV-main\CopyFilesToVM.ps1:4373 char:9
+         Set-VM -Name $VMName -ProcessorCount $CPUCores -CheckpointTyp ...
+         ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    + CategoryInfo          : NotSpecified: (:) [Set-VM], VirtualizationException
    + FullyQualifiedErrorId : Unspecified,Microsoft.HyperV.PowerShell.Commands.SetVM

Set-VMMemory : The computer 'COMPUTERNAME' could not be resolved. Make sure you typed the machine name correctly and that you have network access.
At C:\users\username\desktop\Easy-GPU-PV-main\CopyFilesToVM.ps1:4374 char:9
+         Set-VMMemory -VMName $VMName -DynamicMemoryEnabled $false
+         ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    + CategoryInfo          : NotSpecified: (:) [Set-VMMemory], VirtualizationException
    + FullyQualifiedErrorId : Unspecified,Microsoft.HyperV.PowerShell.Commands.SetVMMemory

INFO   : Starting and connecting to VM
If all went well the Virtual Machine will have started, 
In a few minutes it will load the Windows desktop, 
when it does, sign into Parsec (a fast remote desktop app)
and connect to the machine using Parsec from another computer. 
Have fun!

I didn't know what the name resolution errors were about (maybe it has to do with my host's hostname being long enough that Windows complained about NETBIOS resolution), but the VM was running, so I logged in and saw that the RTX 4070 was listed in Device Manager (with an exclamation point).  I shut down the VM and ran the Update-VMGpuPartitionDriver.ps1 script, passing the -VMName and -GPUName ("AUTO") as command line parameters.  That script output the following:

Mounting Drive...
Copying GPU Files - this could take a while...
INFO   : Finding and copying driver files for NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4070 to VM. This could take a while...
Dismounting Drive...
Done...

When I booted the VM up again and logged in, the RTX 4070 GPU was still listed in the guest's Device Manager with an exclamation point (code 43).  If anybody can point me in the right direction for solving this, it would be greatly appreciated.

Edit:

I ran the script from step 5 in this post:

https://www.tenforums.com/virtualization/195745-tutorial-passing-through-gpu-hyper-v-guest-vm.html
and it seems to work.  Device Manager now shows the RTX 4070 is in working status and running with a Microsoft driver as expected.

After some testing, it appears that the guest can make use of the GPU, but some programs that would make use of hardware acceleration (like video editors) don't seem to see the GPU and rely on the CPU for encoding instead.  Task Manager's performance tab, for example, doesn't show a GPU entry at all.  Is there a way I can fix this?

• 3 months later...

Hi everyone, I looking video, thanks for this but I have a question.

I respect documentation, I bought a diplay dummy.

image.png.7a9e0464d21c107db54c45e3027c0a89.png

But in hyperV machine I don't see the monitor and impossible to change resolution with parsec, do you idea of the way to add monitor in machine? 

Thank you for help, really appreciate

image.thumb.png.2948c0bd6e7aba2acfac46b3ee38cb5f.png

• 1 month later...