First Build in 7 Years

dubbleup99

Budget (including currency): $2000 (without GPU)

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: Productivity (school, work [office work]), some gaming [haven't gamed much but when I do, I usually game high-end games), compression, photo comparison

Other details (existing parts lists, whether any peripherals are needed, what you're upgrading from, when you're going to buy, what resolution and refresh rate you want to play at, etc): 

https://pcpartpicker.com/user/dubbleup99/saved/Gvbt3C

All parts are new except:

UPS, Keyboard, Mouse, GPU.

I know the GPU is WAY old, but I am not going to purchase a new one at these crazy prices. I have no problem waiting since I am not playing to many PC games right now. When I can get one at MSRP, I plan on getting a 3070, 3070 TI, or 3080. 

I just want people's opinion on if this is a good system or not? Different part suggestions? I have always wanted an RGB PC and I decided, darn it, I deserve it, lol.

Part list is private, and you have no listed budget. Please update and fix your post.

Main Desktop: CPU - i9-14900k | Mobo - Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite AX DDR4 | GPU - ASUS TUF Gaming OC RTX 4090 RAM - Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 64GB 3600mhz | AIO - H150i Pro XT | PSU - Corsair RM1000X | Case - Phanteks P500A Digital - White | Storage - Samsung 970 Pro M.2 NVME SSD 512GB / Sabrent Rocket 1TB Nvme / Samsung 860 Evo Pro 500GB / Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2tb Nvme / Samsung 870 QVO 4TB  |

TV Streaming PC: Intel Nuc CPU - i7 8th Gen | RAM - 16GB DDR4 2666mhz | Storage - 256GB WD Black M.2 NVME SSD |

Phone: Samsung Galaxy Z Fold 4 - Phantom Black 512GB |

22 minutes ago, SpookyCitrus said:

Part list is private, and you have no listed budget. Please update and fix your post.

Wow, my legit bad. Thanks for the heads up. 

I am just throwing my 2 cents about GPU Prices. Check out Falcodrin on twitch. He has a bot that tells you when things go in stock. Most stores at this point have a weekly stock of GPUs, its not hard to get one, just takes time. NewEgg shuffle is also an option. You could spend $300 on a 980ti or $400 on a 3060. I have gotten 3 cards this way. most recent being a 3060 Ti for $529 from Best Buy.

As far as you build goes Everything looks good. Intel does have plans for an X670 and B660 Motherboard that should be a lot cheaper. What I've done for PC builds this year is first acquire a GPU, then get everything else. In that time the new chipsets might be out.

Edit: with the Monitor you selected, the 980 Ti might not be enough to drive it fully. Also with 12th gen intel try to get 3600 MHZ or more CL16 Ram. It'll use it for sure.

Sorry I probably edited my post. Refresh plz. Build Specs Below.

System

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5900x
  • Motherboard
    ASUS ROG STRIX X570-F
  • RAM
    32 GB (2X8) Trident Z Neo 3600MHz CAS 16
  • GPU
    ASUS ROG STRIX RTX 3070
  • Case
    Corsair 4000D Airflow
  • Storage
    Sabrent 1 TB TLC PCI 4.0 NVMe M.2
  • PSU
    NZXT C850 Gold PSU
  • Display(s)
    MSI Optix MAG342CQR 34" UWQHD
  • Cooling
    Corsair H100i RGB Pro XT 240mm
  • Operating System
    Windows 11

32 minutes ago, mr fobs said:

I am just throwing my 2 cents about GPU Prices. Check out Falcodrin on twitch. He has a bot that tells you when things go in stock. Most stores at this point have a weekly stock of GPUs, its not hard to get one, just takes time. NewEgg shuffle is also an option. You could spend $300 on a 980ti or $400 on a 3060. I have gotten 3 cards this way. most recent being a 3060 Ti for $529 from Best Buy.

Thank you, following Falcodrin now.

As far as you build goes Everything looks good. Intel does have plans for an X670 and B660 Motherboard that should be a lot cheaper. What I've done for PC builds this year is first acquire a GPU, then get everything else. In that time the new chipsets might be out.

I was thinking of going with another motherboard, but I like some of the features that are on this. That being said, I have never been a MOBO expert so if you feel I am going overkill, please let me know. I like all the ports and m.2 spots available.

Edit: with the Monitor you selected, the 980 Ti might not be enough to drive it fully. Also with 12th gen intel try to get 3600 MHZ or more CL16 Ram. It'll use it for sure.

I will clarify this a little. This is the current card I already have. I would def not spend money on this (i.e., I agree with you). I plan on upgrading my card when I can get a new one and with the above-mentioned source, hopefully sooner than later (again, thank you). 

One final question I just thought of: I want 32 GB of RAM. 2 stick or 4?

This is what I would do.

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/CXwgTJ

I have this motherboard paired with my 12700k and it's fantastic. No need to get that Asus, it's not worth it at all at that price. Don't know if you were doing RGB ram because you wanted it for aesthetics but you can get LPX at the same speeds for quite a bit cheaper. Power supply could also be cheaper just by getting the 2018 model which is more than fine. The two big cost cuts are your selected drive and Windows license. While the 980 Pro drives are nice you don't necessarily need gen 4 nvme for what you plan to do with the system, there are only a couple workstation tasks where gen 4 would even benefit you. A standard Nvme SSD is more than enough for your use case and significantly cheaper. As for Windows you can create a Windows 10 installer for free, you can install and use Windows 10 Pro for free and un-activated no strings attached. If you really need or want to activate it with a genuine license you can get them for $5 to $25 if you know where to look.

(Edit: The AIO comes with that same thermal paste pre-applied no need to purchase a separate tube.)

Main Desktop: CPU - i9-14900k | Mobo - Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite AX DDR4 | GPU - ASUS TUF Gaming OC RTX 4090 RAM - Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 64GB 3600mhz | AIO - H150i Pro XT | PSU - Corsair RM1000X | Case - Phanteks P500A Digital - White | Storage - Samsung 970 Pro M.2 NVME SSD 512GB / Sabrent Rocket 1TB Nvme / Samsung 860 Evo Pro 500GB / Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2tb Nvme / Samsung 870 QVO 4TB  |

TV Streaming PC: Intel Nuc CPU - i7 8th Gen | RAM - 16GB DDR4 2666mhz | Storage - 256GB WD Black M.2 NVME SSD |

Phone: Samsung Galaxy Z Fold 4 - Phantom Black 512GB |

1 hour ago, dubbleup99 said:

One final question I just thought of: I want 32 GB of RAM. 2 stick or 4?

If you think you will need more than 32GB of ram in the life of this computer or you're a mid to heavy multitasker, go with 2x16GB. If not, 4 is fine. 

I was thinking of going with another motherboard, but I like some of the features that are on this. That being said, I have never been a MOBO expert so if you feel I am going overkill, please let me know. I like all the ports and m.2 spots available.

Well for right now, the Z690 is the only available for 12th gen intel. You could also do a AMD 5950x or 5900x with an X570 MoBo and get similar features for less cost. Something to look into! I currently runa 5900x and its a beauty for gaming and CPU Heavy tasks.

I will clarify this a little. This is the current card I already have. I would def not spend money on this (i.e., I agree with you). I plan on upgrading my card when I can get a new one and with the above-mentioned source, hopefully sooner than later (again, thank you). 

Thank you for clarifying, I wouldn't have talked you out of it, but I would have been upset if you planned on buying a 980 Ti. If you need help deciding on a card; for an UW 1440p monitor, I would recommend a 3070-3080. I currently run a 3070 and it runs everything really well on my UW. 3080, would just be for the extra Vram for some games. If you are playing only demanding games, I would go with the 3080. Also when you are hunting, Fe cards are the hardest to get.

Finally! I am going to edit this post with a link to a PC part picker list of what I would do in your shoes. Just for a reference! You are welcome to completely ignore it: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/NkkJz7

This saves you money and gets you a beastly PC. Plus an extra 2TB of storage and 3 RGB front fans for the 4000D Airflow. I have the same case and have 3 front fans for intake, my 240mm AIO on the top for my 5900x, and my back exhaust is just the one that came with the 4000D. My 5900x never goes past 70 degrees. System stays quiet.

Not trying to sway you in any particular direction, just wanted to show you a similarly specked build, that could save you money!

Sorry I probably edited my post. Refresh plz. Build Specs Below.

System

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5900x
  • Motherboard
    ASUS ROG STRIX X570-F
  • RAM
    32 GB (2X8) Trident Z Neo 3600MHz CAS 16
  • GPU
    ASUS ROG STRIX RTX 3070
  • Case
    Corsair 4000D Airflow
  • Storage
    Sabrent 1 TB TLC PCI 4.0 NVMe M.2
  • PSU
    NZXT C850 Gold PSU
  • Display(s)
    MSI Optix MAG342CQR 34" UWQHD
  • Cooling
    Corsair H100i RGB Pro XT 240mm
  • Operating System
    Windows 11

ALL, 

Thank you all for everyone's input (very sincere). You have all given me some things to think about (in a good way). I am going to sit down over the next couple days and figure this out. Thanks again.

not sure why you need that board, but ryzen is still king for compression/decompression. you could get a 5900X and good B550 board for less than what you have now and it'll perform better for compression. 

thermal paste comes with the cooler, no need to buy it.

get a 2x16gb kit instead and save the slots for later.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X Heatsink: Gelid Phantom Black GPU: Palit RTX 3060 Ti Dual RAM: Corsair DDR4 2x8GB 3000Mhz mobo: Asus X570-P case: Fractal Design Define C PSU: Superflower Leadex Gold 650W

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X 3.7 GHz 12-Core Processor  ($524.99 @ Newegg) 
CPU Cooler: ARCTIC Liquid Freezer II 360 RGB 48.8 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler  ($124.95 @ Amazon) 
Motherboard: ASRock B550 PG Velocita ATX AM4 Motherboard  ($139.99 @ Newegg) 
Memory: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-4000 CL18 Memory  ($164.99 @ Newegg) 
Storage: Corsair MP600 PRO XT 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive  ($169.99 @ Amazon) 
Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6 GB STRIX Video Card 
Case: Phanteks Eclipse P400A Digital ATX Mid Tower Case  ($89.99 @ Newegg) 
Power Supply: Corsair RMx (2018) 850 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply  ($94.99 @ Newegg) 
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit  ($129.99 @ Newegg) 
Monitor: Acer XV340CK Pbmiipphzx 34.0" 3440x1440 144 Hz Monitor  ($399.99 @ Newegg) 
Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB MK.2 Wired Gaming Keyboard  ($159.99 @ Amazon) 
Mouse: Corsair GLAIVE RGB PRO Wired Optical Mouse  ($149.94 @ Amazon) 
UPS: CyberPower CP1500PFCLCDTAA UPS 
Custom: Lenovo 500 FHD Webcam - GXC0X89769  ($49.99 @ Walmart) 
Total: $2199.79
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2022-01-07 21:47 EST-0500

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X Heatsink: Gelid Phantom Black GPU: Palit RTX 3060 Ti Dual RAM: Corsair DDR4 2x8GB 3000Mhz mobo: Asus X570-P case: Fractal Design Define C PSU: Superflower Leadex Gold 650W