what is right storage for a NAS system, decentralized storage

ohmans

i built a couple of computers but now im interested in decentralized storage.....how would i build a quality NAS system?

which storage hardware is more appropriate and how do i know i am buying the right storage device?

Software is an equally important consideration. OpenMediaVault, Unraid, and FreeNAS are all worthwhile contenders.

Hardware wise, having plenty of room for storage expansion is key. That includes your case, and your motherboard having enough SATA ports, or PCIe slots for expansion cards.

You'll probably find that once you start this, you'll also want to start running some services & containers on the device. Having appropriate CPU and RAM becomes more important here.

What's your budget? Are you thinking rack mount or tower? Lots of considerations here. /r/homeserver/ is another place to look for good discussion on this.

The NAS that I built for myself was focused on low cost.

I bought an old server board with CPUs and RAM included for $60, I got an HBA card and 8 1TB SAS HDD for another $80ish and I'm using FreeNAS to run shares, so apps, and maybe a VM when I get around to it.

If you are just using it for storage you don't need very much power. Any quad core will usually be enough, but I recommend going for a platform that uses DDR3 ECC as it is affordable on the used market and is rock solid for a personal NAS.

If you are using 4 or fewer drives I think (personally) that it is ok to use consumer HDD, if you are using more I would recommend going with NAS or Industrial class drives (think Seagate Ironwolf or WD Red). 

Be aware of how many drives your motherboard can support and what kind of RAID you'll be using to determine whether or not you'll need an HBA, RAID card, or niether.

https://shucks.top/  is another resource that you might find useful for getting the best $/TB prices on hard drives. The WD EasyStores from Best Buy are often on sale (I got a 14TB HDD for around $170 in November), and can be "shucked" from their external chassis to be used as a normal internal drive.

22 minutes ago, ramenbellic said:

https://shucks.top/  is another resource that you might find useful for getting the best $/TB prices on hard drives. The WD EasyStores from Best Buy are often on sale (I got a 14TB HDD for around $170 in November), and can be "shucked" from their external chassis to be used as a normal internal drive.

this will specifically be for SCprime, i can see this is something i can easily spend thousands of dollars on, but im looking to start small and build up if it is truly profitable over the long term.

my idea was to start with repurposing and old DDR3 Dell i have in the closet, and the real money i invest in this system to go to hard drives that have a good mean time to failure.

of course im new to this and have lots to learn, so lets say current budget 400-600 cash, and an old Dell tower.

39 minutes ago, KingTdiGGiTTy said:

The NAS that I built for myself was focused on low cost.

I bought an old server board with CPUs and RAM included for $60, I got an HBA card and 8 1TB SAS HDD for another $80ish and I'm using FreeNAS to run shares, so apps, and maybe a VM when I get around to it.

If you are just using it for storage you don't need very much power. Any quad core will usually be enough, but I recommend going for a platform that uses DDR3 ECC as it is affordable on the used market and is rock solid for a personal NAS.

If you are using 4 or fewer drives I think (personally) that it is ok to use consumer HDD, if you are using more I would recommend going with NAS or Industrial class drives (think Seagate Ironwolf or WD Red). 

Be aware of how many drives your motherboard can support and what kind of RAID you'll be using to determine whether or not you'll need an HBA, RAID card, or niether.

this will be specifically to use for SCprime, repurpose an old dell tower (DDR3) to start.

so 400-600 budget to get some quality drives that can last.

im completely new to this end of things so any detailed advice is welcomed

That seems really cool, I wasn't familiar with that project. 125SCP/TB/mo seems like a crazy good return on investment, too.

Definitely repurpose what you have, upgrade as needed later.

48 minutes ago, ramenbellic said:

That seems really cool, I wasn't familiar with that project. 125SCP/TB/mo seems like a crazy good return on investment, too.

Definitely repurpose what you have, upgrade as needed later.

its probably a little bit "car sales" but in the end i will have a mini cloud at home, so win win.

i think i will go with WD Gold Enterprise.....5 year warranty

18 TB = $466

4 TB = $80 (used)

and that blows my budget......wish me luck 

3 minutes ago, ohmans said:

its probably a little bit "car sales" but in the end i will have a mini cloud at home, so win win.

i think i will go with WD Gold Enterprise.....5 year warranty

18 TB = $466

4 TB = $80 (used)

and that blows my budget......wish me luck 

I don't know that the enterprise drive is worth paying 2x the cost of a consumer one. A free warranty can be added just by using a good credit card.

Have you looked at Backblaze's Drive Reliability Report? https://www.backblaze.com/blog/backblaze-drive-stats-for-q2-2021/