Laptop for sister

Go to solution Solved by Donut417,
1 hour ago, EDKTech said:

How'd it go? Did you decide on a Laptop?

She got the Lenovo one and said so far so good. I haven't got to check it out as she lives quite a while away from us. But as long as she is happy. Thanks for the help. 

My sister was looking for a new laptop. She asked me for the bare minimum she would need. She doing basic web browsing and some light photo editing as she got a new DSLR for xmas. I told her at least 8 Gigs of ram and an SSD but that was before the photo editing part of the convo. So will one of the two machines she linked to me be OK? If not what do you think she needs? Im guessing the budget is around the price of these machines. 

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/hp-envy-2-in-1-15-6-touch-screen-laptop-intel-core-i5-8gb-memory-256gb-ssd-natural-silver/6479176.p?skuId=6479176

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/lenovo-ideapad-3-15-6-fhd-touch-screen-laptop-intel-core-i5-11th-gen-12gb-memory-256gb-ssd-arctic-grey/6461977.p?skuId=6461977

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

I like the first one's looks, but the price of the second one is better.

However, if I had the cash for the first one I'd go for the first one.

I've got an old 2011 laptop, Dell Latitude E6420 and it can do Photoshop and Web Browsing find on 6GB RAM, so you don't need a super highspec PC.

If my post helped you please hit the "Solved" button below ✅

For light photo editing I'd say either one is more than capable. Photo editing isn't super demanding.

Main Desktop: CPU - i9-14900k | Mobo - Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite AX DDR4 | GPU - ASUS TUF Gaming OC RTX 4090 RAM - Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 64GB 3600mhz | AIO - H150i Pro XT | PSU - Corsair RM1000X | Case - Phanteks P500A Digital - White | Storage - Samsung 970 Pro M.2 NVME SSD 512GB / Sabrent Rocket 1TB Nvme / Samsung 860 Evo Pro 500GB / Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2tb Nvme / Samsung 870 QVO 4TB  |

TV Streaming PC: Intel Nuc CPU - i7 8th Gen | RAM - 16GB DDR4 2666mhz | Storage - 256GB WD Black M.2 NVME SSD |

Phone: Samsung Galaxy Z Fold 4 - Phantom Black 512GB |

34 minutes ago, EDKTech said:

I like the first one's looks, but the price of the second one is better.

However, if I had the cash for the first one I'd go for the first one.

I've got an old 2011 laptop, Dell Latitude E6420 and it can do Photoshop and Web Browsing find on 6GB RAM, so you don't need a super highspec PC.

The Lenovo has soldiered ram, at least 4 gigs is soldered. The HP the list 2x4Gigs on their website, but Best Buy says upgradeable up to 8 Gigs, so Im not sure with that one. The HP has Thunderbolt 4 however and my experience with Thunderbolt on my Mac has been stellar, its like the most useful port I have ever used. 

*Edit, so the HP is stuck at 8 Gigs. 

2 hours ago, Donut417 said:

The Lenovo has soldiered ram, at least 4 gigs is soldered. The HP the list 2x4Gigs on their website, but Best Buy says upgradeable up to 8 Gigs, so Im not sure with that one. The HP has Thunderbolt 4 however and my experience with Thunderbolt on my Mac has been stellar, its like the most useful port I have ever used. 

*Edit, so the HP is stuck at 8 Gigs. 

What software does she want to use for editing? I think 8GB would be enough, but for the best experience possible a little higher.

2 minutes ago, EDKTech said:

What software does she want to use for editing? I think 8GB would be enough, but for the best experience possible a little higher.

Thats the thing, she doesnt know what software to use. Back in the day it was a pirated copy of Adobe's CS3 suit she got from me, who got it from a guy at my collage. If you have any thing you recommend thats cheap or free that would be kinda cool. 

1 minute ago, Donut417 said:

Thats the thing, she doesnt know what software to use. Back in the day it was a pirated copy of Adobe's CS3 suit she got from me, who got it from a guy at my collage. If you have any thing you recommend thats cheap or free that would be kinda cool. 

For free I'm sure most would say GIMP it's just really hard to use, for me at least, so I'd say Photoshop, preferably an older version, like what I use so you don't have to pay yearly for Creative Cloud.

I use Photoshop Elements 14 Costco Edition and it is amazing! The only thing it doesn't have that the new versions have is easier select tool. You can probably find a copy on EBay or Amazon.

1 hour ago, EDKTech said:

She got the Lenovo one and said so far so good. I haven't got to check it out as she lives quite a while away from us. But as long as she is happy. Thanks for the help.