[KG] New generator could power wearable tech through body heat

KakaoDj

Kitguru article

It is not the first thermoelectric generator, but it's a lot smaller than the previous. This could be golden for wearables, and maybe even your cellphone. There will be clothes with these generators intergrated that you can use to charge every device you are carrying, maybe even wirelessly?  :o Imagine never having to use another plug to charge your tech. This gets me so excited for the future  :D  

Edit: as @Misanthrope said, the USB buttplug we are all waiting for may be the best way to utilize body heat for all your electronic needs 

Creating a smart watch or arm band with a battery that can last the entire day in such a small form factor is difficult but what if these devices never had to charge and could live off of your body heat? This could become a reality as researchers at KAIST have developed a flexible thermoelectric generator that could easily fit in most wearables and turn your body heat into energy.

kaist_1.jpg

inb4matrix

Current rig: CPU: AMD FX-8120  Cooling: Corsair H100i  Mobo: ASRock 970 Extreme 3  RAM: 8GB 1333Mhz  GPU: MSI GTX 660Ti Power Edition  Case: Fractal Design Define R4  Storage: 2TB Seagate HDD + 128GB Crucial SSD  PSU: be quiet! 730W bronze

That's really interesting... I'd like to see what they do with this tech.

Like watching Anime? Consider joining the unofficial LTT Anime Club Heaven Society~ ^.^

That's really interesting... I'd like to see what they do with this tech.

Indeed. Aside from basic things like phones and watches, I could see this being used for medical tech too. No more worrying about the battery dieing on the pump would be a great step forward.

Spoiler

Desktop <dead?> 

Spoiler

P8P67-WS/Z77 Extreme4/H61DE-S3. 4x4 Samsung 1600MHz/1x8GB Gskill 1866MHzC9. 750W OCZ ZT/750w Corsair CX. GTX480/Sapphire HD7950 1.05GHz (OC). Adata SP600 256GB x2/SSG 830 128GB/1TB Hatachi Deskstar/3TB Seagate. Windows XP/7Pro, Windows 10 on Test drive. FreeBSD and Fedora on liveboot USB3 drives. 

Spoiler

Laptop <Works Beyond Spec>

Spoiler

HP-DM3. Pentium U5400. 2x4GB DDR3 1600MHz (Samsung iirc). Intel HD. 512GB SSD. 8TB USB drive (Western Digital). Coil Wine!!!!!! (Is that a spec?). 

so where's my armored exo-skeleton that runs off my body heat? There are some people's houses I want to destroy and it might be hard without it.

-The Bellerophon- Obsidian 550D-i5-3570k@4.5Ghz -Asus Sabertooth Z77-16GB Corsair Dominator Platinum 1866Mhz-x2 EVGA GTX 760 Dual FTW 4GB-Creative Sound Blaster XF-i Titanium-OCZ Vertex Plus 120GB-Seagate Barracuda 2TB- https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/60154-the-not-really-a-build-log-build-log/ Twofold http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/121043-twofold-a-dual-itx-system/ How great is EVGA? http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/110662-evga-how-great-are-they/#entry1478299

so where's my armored exo-skeleton that runs off my body heat? There are some people's houses I want to destroy and it might be hard without it.

You would freeze to death wearing something like that  :D

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

Indeed. Aside from basic things like phones and watches, I could see this being used for medical tech too. No more worrying about the battery dieing on the pump would be a great step forward.

I am not sure how effective it will be in terms of medical devices (well for internal devices anyways).  From my understanding all these power generators don't actually just use the heat from your body, but rather the heat differential of your body heat and the outside temperature.  So by implanting a device it's hot side would be very close in temperature to the cold side, which would generate a lot less electricity (the greater the difference the more electricity you can generate).

So while I enjoy this technology, I am not sure how far it will ever reach....although if this is scaled and improved perhaps it could be used as a more efficient system than the current steam turbine system.

0b10111010 10101101 11110000 00001101

didnt some girl invent a flashlight that was powered by human body heat about 2 years ago. 

CM Storm Switch Tester MOD (In-Progress) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/409147-cm-storm-switch-tester-macro-mod/

Ammo Can Speaker 02 (Completed) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/283826-ammo-can-speakers-02/       A/B Switch V 0.5 (Completed) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/362417-ab-switch-v0

Build 01 - The Life of a Prodigy -  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/13103-build-01-the-life-of-a-prodigy/             Build 02 - Silent Server 3000 - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/116670-build-02-silent-server-3000/

You know, given the fact that one of the best ways to take up accurate temperature readings is rectally, Linus dreams of a USB buttplug might finally become reality

Oh god, adding that to the OP  :o

I am not sure how effective it will be in terms of medical devices (well for internal devices anyways).  From my understanding all these power generators don't actually just use the heat from your body, but rather the heat differential of your body heat and the outside temperature.  So by implanting a device it's hot side would be very close in temperature to the cold side, which would generate a lot less electricity (the greater the difference the more electricity you can generate).

So while I enjoy this technology, I am not sure how far it will ever reach....although if this is scaled and improved perhaps it could be used as a more efficient system than the current steam turbine system.

I'll give you that I should have been a little clearer.  

Not all medical devices are internal. The statement I made was specifically referring to infusion pumps, which generally are used for Insulin delivery, but can be used for practically any liquid medications that are taken on a consistent basis (non changing values on a daily basis via injection). It would be nice to have a wearable generator powering it instead of a AAA battery, as it would lower the list of possible issues (consumables that are not considered hardware issues) down to the medication, reservoir, and infusion device. 

They way I am looking at it, it would be one step closer to an optimal world for me. Without a battery that dies, and with the advances made in recent years that allow constant monitoring of glucose levels (not constant exactly, but it tests automatically like 4x an hour, so close enough), and automatic correction for lows or highs, the only things left are the infusion mechanism, the Insulin itself, and the battery. Remove the battery via a thermal generator and that just leaves the medicine, and the only way to do away with that would be make the whole thing internal, which won't happen for a while. 

Spoiler

Desktop <dead?> 

Spoiler

P8P67-WS/Z77 Extreme4/H61DE-S3. 4x4 Samsung 1600MHz/1x8GB Gskill 1866MHzC9. 750W OCZ ZT/750w Corsair CX. GTX480/Sapphire HD7950 1.05GHz (OC). Adata SP600 256GB x2/SSG 830 128GB/1TB Hatachi Deskstar/3TB Seagate. Windows XP/7Pro, Windows 10 on Test drive. FreeBSD and Fedora on liveboot USB3 drives. 

Spoiler

Laptop <Works Beyond Spec>

Spoiler

HP-DM3. Pentium U5400. 2x4GB DDR3 1600MHz (Samsung iirc). Intel HD. 512GB SSD. 8TB USB drive (Western Digital). Coil Wine!!!!!! (Is that a spec?).