Memory OC

What are peoples opinions on running stupidly loose timings in order to get much higher memory overclocks. I am running a 9-9-9-24 DDR3 1600Mhz kit of corsair vengeance pro at 11-13-13-35 2400Mhz. Personlay i enjoy tweaking things just to get more Mhz but is there any downside to running the timings this loose.

post-20323-0-44780400-1397565814.png

Desktop -  i5 4670k, GTX 770, Maximums VI Hero, 2X Kingston Hyper X 3k in raid zero.

Laptop - Lenovo X230 Intel 535 480GB, 16GB Gskill memory, Classic Keyboard Mod, Triple USB 3.0 Express Card.

you made your ram slower..

Proud Member of the Glorious PC Master Race

Not really it's like 1600 CL8. Still pointless. 

Not really it's like 1600 CL8. Still pointless. 

Really? a corsair vengence pro runs at 2400Mhz runs at CL11 or 9.9.9.24, while his has a far slower timing, which i would say makes it even slower than a CL9 1600, tho a Kingston HyperX Beast does CL11 ( 11-13-13 )

Proud Member of the Glorious PC Master Race

But is that entirely true. Sure the timings are much higher and the cas latency is as well but the actually ram speed is much higher. If you look at any ram kit with a speed over 2133Mhz i doubt it will be anything under CL11. My timings are the same as this kit http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=416&products_id=27317 albit 200Mhz slower on mem speed.

Desktop -  i5 4670k, GTX 770, Maximums VI Hero, 2X Kingston Hyper X 3k in raid zero.

Laptop - Lenovo X230 Intel 535 480GB, 16GB Gskill memory, Classic Keyboard Mod, Triple USB 3.0 Express Card.

Personally I don't think it's worth OC-ing memory at all due to possible system instability and low performance gains.

Overclocking the memory is almost never worth it unless you really want to squeeze the last bit of performance from your system. Anyway, since you are doing it for fun, there is no downside from running the memory at these settings, the thing is though, that you are not getting anything from it either. 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 - 3900x @ 4.4GHz with a Custom Loop | MBO: ASUS Crosshair VI Extreme | RAM: 4x4GB Apacer 2666MHz overclocked to 3933MHz with OCZ Reaper HPC Heatsinks | GPU: PowerColor Red Devil 6900XT | SSDs: Intel 660P 512GB SSD and Intel 660P 1TB SSD | HDD: 2x WD Black 6TB and Seagate Backup Plus 8TB External Drive | PSU: Corsair RM1000i | Case: Cooler Master C700P Black Edition | Build Log: here

What are peoples opinions on running stupidly loose timings in order to get much higher memory overclocks. I am running a 9-9-9-24 DDR3 1600Mhz kit of corsair vengeance pro at 11-13-13-35 2400Mhz. Personlay i enjoy tweaking things just to get more Mhz but is there any downside to running the timings this loose.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/7364/memory-scaling-on-haswell

Depends on the application, gpu setup. Gaming on a single dedicated GPU like you have? Not really much benefit.

Use maxxmem or aida and go with the one with the lowest latency. Make sure to run maxxmem a few times though cus score can change quite a bit. Latency changes depending on the speed. 2133 cl9 T1 might be faster. You aren't going to see anything major in games, but if you are bored? Go for it. : ) Tweaking is fun.

CPU:24/7-4770k @ 4.5ghz/4.0 cache @ 1.22V override, 1.776 VCCIN. MB: Z87-G41 PC Mate. Cooling: Hyper 212 evo push/pull. Ram: Gskill Ares 1600 CL9 @ 2133 1.56v 10-12-10-31-T1 150 TRFC. Case: HAF 912 stock fans (no LED crap). HD: Seagate Barracuda 1 TB. Display: Dell S2340M IPS. GPU: Sapphire Tri-x R9 290. PSU:CX600M OS: Win 7 64 bit/Mac OS X Mavericks, dual boot Hackintosh.

running your mem chips overclocked 800 MHz? Thats pretty cool. Not much benefit like other have mentioned but good fun none the less. sounds like something I would do :)

increased frequency = higher reads \ writes

tight timings = lower latency

pick whichever you fancy  most applications will not yield any difference

One benchmark that LOVES faster memory is the Intel XTU Benchmark

Mainboard Asrock Z170 OCF CPU 6700k RAM Tridentz 3600 HDD Intel 730 240gb GPU GTX 780ti sc acx PSU Silverstone Strider 1200W  Case Antec 900 Laptop Lenovo Thinkpad T520 build log-   http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/35809-antec-900-the-re-birth-of-a-legend/ Check out the Tech Center https://www.youtube.com/user/prokon24/videos LTT's Unicore King

Overclocking the memory is almost never worth it unless you really want to squeeze the last bit of performance from your system. Anyway, since you are doing it for fun, there is no downside from running the memory at these settings, the thing is though, that you are not getting anything from it either. 

Well there is the whole BF4 with fast ram situation. I have never actually tested it myself but at least there is some reason to be running that much of an overclock.