Upgrading dGPUs every ~3 Years?

whm1974

I had my GTX 970 for Six Years now and had to replace the Fan earlier this year. Only used it this long due to didn't really need to upgrade and wasting cash on junk foods and soda. Now that I stopped getting crap from 7-11, I starting to save up some money. As always I'm buying things I need first, then spend money on Computer Stuff.

The Fan is a Inroberts cheapie that I overpaid. Not quiet at all, and had to remove Hearing Aids to even use my Computer. Even lost two screws swapping it in. Even cut two of the blades to install... Way too noisy...

Anyway due to the shortage, I'm now going to upgrading GPUs every three years once this is over. Good plan or not?

Don't upgrade on a set time window, but rather when your PC doesn't meet your needs anymore. Could be 2 years, could be 10, etc...

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

If you're set on electronics being where your entertainment budget goes, I'd say it's a good guideline, but not a good rule or plan. You have to leave yourself plenty of wiggle room, and definitely not buy something just because X years have passed.

I do something similar with all my tech. I actually have a spreadsheet (never been tested for autism, but nobody would be surprised 😄 ) listing every tech thing I own, date when I bought it, price, warranty info, potential replacement if it broke today (mostly based on randomly watched Youtube reviews) and a date when I expect to want a new one. When the date comes however, I always reevaluate it, and push it back more often than not

2 minutes ago, Yebi said:

If you're set on electronics being where your entertainment budget goes, I'd say it's a good guideline, but not a good rule or plan. You have to leave yourself plenty of wiggle room, and definitely not buy something just because X years have passed.

I do something similar with all my tech. I actually have a spreadsheet (never been tested for autism, but nobody would be surprised 😄 ) listing every tech thing I own, date when I bought it, price, warranty info, potential replacement if it broke today (mostly based on randomly watched Youtube reviews) and a date when I expect to want a new one. When the date comes however, I always reevaluate it, and push it back more often than not

I had to switch back to my older GTX 760 and had to do tricky to use the newest Nvidia drivers in Linux. With Steam Proton I had the screen go dark on me with Homeworld: Remastered and Homeworld: DOK. Even in Win10 it did that. I don't if it was a driver issue with both OSes or the Fan is going bad. It didn't do this with other games I was playing. But put back the 970 and no problem...

But wearing my Hearing Aids I can't stand the noisy Replacement Fans at all. So I took them out. Even in the bathroom I hear them wearing those. So shutting the Door when on the phone.

Just take the fans and fan shroud off, then use two 120mm case fans with zipties. 

Enjoy better temps and lower noise. 

Work Rigs - 2015 15" MBP | 2019 15" MBP | 2021 16" M1 Max MBP | Lenovo ThinkPad T490 |

AMD Ryzen 9 5900X  |  MSI B550 Gaming Plus  |  64GB G.SKILL 3200 CL16 4x8GB |  AMD Reference RX 6800  |  WD Black SN750 1TB NVMe  |  Corsair RM750  |  Corsair H115i RGB Pro XT  |  Corsair 4000D  |  Dell S2721DGF  |

Fun Rig - AMD Ryzen 5 5600X  |  MSI B550 Tomahawk  |  32GB G.SKILL 3600 CL16 4x8GB |  AMD Reference 6800XT  | Creative Sound Blaster Z  |  WD Black SN850 500GB NVMe  |  WD Black SN750 2TB NVMe  |  WD Blue 1TB SATA SSD  |  Corsair RM850x  |  Corsair H100i RGB Pro XT  |  Corsair 4000D  |  LG 27GP850  |

38 minutes ago, Action_Johnson said:

Just take the fans and fan shroud off, then use two 120mm case fans with zipties. 

Enjoy better temps and lower noise. 

That will work? It is a Zotac two Fan Card. I would have to get some zip ties and case fans.

The Replacement Fans have two noise levels: Noisy and Extra Loud... My left Side Panel does allow me to mount case fans. Two of them side by side. Molex Plugs? Not sure how many Fan pins there are on my very Basic Z87 Motherboard.