found a used 780

bunnydanerd

I want to start by saying I am new to this forum, so I'm not sure if this is the right place for this question.

I am currently using a GT 730 (I know, it sucks) along with an r5 3600 (my setup makes no sense.) I have been streaming for a little over four months now, mostly playing games like Minecraft that my PC can handle. I have found a used GTX 780 for around 150 dollars. I want to begin streaming games like Valorant, and this should be enough. 

My questions are:

• Is this a good deal?
  • What questions should I ask the seller?

Thanks for your help,

-Bunny

Its an upgrade for you yes, but I am not sure its going to be an upgrade that is going to get you to streaming. You might be better off making a second PC that does the stream capture for you.

30 minutes ago, bunnydanerd said:

I want to start by saying I am new to this forum, so I'm not sure if this is the right place for this question.

I am currently using a GT 730 (I know, it sucks) along with an r5 3600 (my setup makes no sense.) I have been streaming for a little over four months now, mostly playing games like Minecraft that my PC can handle. I have found a used GTX 780 for around 150 dollars. I want to begin streaming games like Valorant, and this should be enough. 

My questions are:

• Is this a good deal?

Thanks for your help,

-Bunny

Well the 780 is still a pretty decent card, and based on how the GPU market looks like now, id say its a pretty good deal. While it only have 3GB of vram, it should still be able to run your stated games with ease. And for streaming, it will be a breeze for it as it got Nvidias Nvenc (decoder built for streaming and recording).

But I would try and stay within 720p 60/30 FPS as its still a pretty old architecture.

Now, things that would be good to know is first of all if the card works or have any type of problem. Then id ask things like what condition its in, like is it dusty? Does it have visual damage? etc.

Should be plenty capable, ask about thermals and if they ever had any driver problems. Not that driver problems matter but it’s a good way to try and trick a seller to reveal more information about minor issues the card may have.

150$ is pretty average, not a bad price with how gpu prices are now 

Its a perfectly capable card for 1080p gaming.

i wouldnt  say it s bad price, but i wouldnt be willing to spend any more than that.

Consider that a GTX 1650 is around the same performance, but seem significantly more expensive.

A GTX 970, could be within that same ball park price and perform as good or better than a 780.

UK ebay puts the 'buy it now' price of a 780 at £150-£200, and so is a 970.

CPU: Intel i7 3930k w/OC & EK Supremacy EVO Block | Motherboard: Asus P9x79 Pro  | RAM: G.Skill 4x4 1866 CL9 | PSU: Seasonic Platinum 1000w Corsair RM 750w Gold (2021)|

VDU: Panasonic 42" Plasma | GPU: Gigabyte 1080ti Gaming OC & Barrow Block (RIP)...GTX 980ti | Sound: Asus Xonar D2X - Z5500 -FiiO X3K DAP/DAC - ATH-M50S | Case: Phantek Enthoo Primo White |

Storage: Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD + WD Blue 1TB SSD | Cooling: XSPC D5 Photon 270 Res & Pump | 2x XSPC AX240 White Rads | NexXxos Monsta 80x240 Rad P/P | NF-A12x25 fans |

4 minutes ago, SolarNova said:

Its a perfectly capable card for 1080p gaming.

i wouldnt  say it s bad price, but i wouldnt be willing to spend any more than that.

Consider that a GTX 1650 is around the same performance, but seem significantly more expensive.

A GTX 970, could be within that same ball park price and perform as good or better than a 780.

UK ebay puts the 'buy it now' price of a 780 at £150-£200, and so is a 970.

If that's the case then getting the 970 would be a no-brainer, as it still gets driver updates and also at least has an extra 0.5GB of usable VRAM. 

I wouldn't put a ton of faith in the old NVENC on any of these cards for streaming, though.

Corps aren't your friends. "Bottleneck calculators" are BS. Only suckers buy based on brand. It's your PC, do what makes you happy.  If your build meets your needs, you don't need anyone else to "rate" it for you. And talking about being part of a "master race" is cringe. Watch this space for further truths people need to hear.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | ASRock X570 PG Velocita | PowerColor Red Devil RX 6900 XT | 4x8GB Crucial Ballistix 3600mt/s CL16

1 hour ago, bunnydanerd said:

My questions are:

• Is this a good deal?

Thanks for your help,

-Bunny

Argh, $150 is really a terrible price for a card that's seven years (and five generations) old and without driver support. And it's not even a 780 Ti, just a 780. Ugh. But it is on par with something like a 1050 Ti or 1650 in terms of raw performance, and good luck finding those for less than $250-300, so yeah, I guess it's not a terrible deal. I'm finding a few 780s on FB Marketplace for $100, but most of FB Marketplace is one giant scam anyway.

If my options were $150 for a GTX 780 or keep using a GT 730, I'd probably get the 780, maybe see if I could shave $10-20 off of the price. If this is eBay, you don't need to ask the seller anything because you have a 30-day money-back guarantee no matter what they say about returns. If it's local, I would want proof of life. A video of the exact card hooked up and running a benchmark like Firestrike or one of the Unigines, followed by a trip into Device Manager to look at the card's details and verify that there are no errors there. I think I'm being very conservative when I say that over half of GPU listings on FB Marketplace, Craigslist and OfferUp are just outright dead card scams right now, or baked cards that were dead a week ago and will be dead again in a week. If the seller's not willing to provide that video of the card working, I'd be very skeptical about it. Others here will call me nuts, but right now my rule is trust no one.

Aerocool DS are the best fans you've never tried.

Given the price of 3 gig 1060 and horrible version 970s availible, I'd get one again if its the reference blower or an evga model.

I'd spend a few more bucks for a reference 970 if I could find it. Bought a 3gig 1060 for that price being desperate for a card as running a monitor at 30hz is unbearable and I can still play stuff when need be.

If you need something get what you can, doesnt matter if its a good deal or not. The choice is what? Wait for something? If you can do so, wait. If not get what you can/need.

Main RIg Corsair Air 540, I7 9900k, ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero, G.Skill Ripjaws 3600 32GB, 3090FE, EVGA 1000G5, Acer Nitro XZ3 2560 x 1440@240hz 

Spare RIg Lian Li O11 AIR MINI, I7 4790K, Asus Maximus VI Extreme, G.Skill Ares 2400 32Gb, EVGA 1080ti, 1080sc 1070sc & 1060 SSC, EVGA 850GA, Acer KG251Q 1920x1080@240hz