10900k 'CPU overheat error' with Corsair H100i

RhysMusique

Hey all,

So I built my new system around this time last year and have never noticed any real problem with temperatures.

Sure it get's very warm in my room when I'm gaming, because I've got a 10900k and an RTX 3090 pumping out heat.

Today I was playing a bit of 'Planet Coaster', which is a fairly CPU intensive game. Every time I play this game I notice that my H100i fans ramp up quite high but it's never really bothered me except for the slightly irritating noise. Performance is normally fine. Today however, the PC completely just stopped responding, and I had to reset the PC myself. Upon reboot, the 'CPU overheat error' came up on the first boot screen. Waited a couple of minutes and started again and it was fine. I'm sat on my iCUE (Corsair software) and the fluid temp was at 51 deg Celcius, now has dropped to 35 under normal load, but this worried me.

Could it be that my 240mm AIO isn't good enough for the 10900k? If so, what would you guys recommend? I have a 360mm slot in the top of my Lian Li 011-Dynamic available.

Thanks,

Rhys

CURRENT: intel i9-10900K ASUS ROG Maximus XII Hero ROG Strix RTX 3090 32GB 3600MHz Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro RM1000i Lian Li O11-Dynamic

OFFICE: intel i5-3570K ASUS Z77 mITX EVGA GTX 970 SC 16GB 1600MHz Corsair Vengeance LP Silverstone SFX PSU Fractal Design Node 202

Is the CPU running stock or is it overlocked?

If you are running it overclocked, I would maybe go for either a custom loop or at least a 360mm setup. With my NZXT 360mm AIO, I haven't experienced any issues with cooling my 10900k.

The i9 10900k is a notoriously hot cpu so yeah the 240mm might be cutting it close especially if you are running anything other than stock. If I remember correctly alot of reviewers were recommending a 280mm aio as sorta minimum otherwise you could run into overheating issues. 

6 minutes ago, KhakiHat said:

Is the CPU running stock or is it overlocked?

If you are running it overclocked, I would maybe go for either a custom loop or at least a 360mm setup. With my NZXT 360mm AIO, I haven't experienced any issues with cooling my 10900k.

It's either stock or like very very close to stock, without checking I can't remember what clock I put on there new, but I do remember being disappointed that I couldnt even get 0.2GHz above the stock speed, so I either left it at stock or slightly above. Yeah looks like a 360mm for me!

2 minutes ago, Brooksie359 said:

The i9 10900k is a notoriously hot cpu so yeah the 240mm might be cutting it close especially if you are running anything other than stock. If I remember correctly alot of reviewers were recommending a 280mm aio as sorta minimum otherwise you could run into overheating issues. 

Ahh okay. I must've missed all of those reviewers saying that, I knew it was a fairly hot chip, but I did read that it was better than the 9900k because of the thicker IHS, so it probably just nullified any negative in my mind about the CPU. D'oh. I'll probs have to look into a 360mm AIO then. Thank you!

CURRENT: intel i9-10900K ASUS ROG Maximus XII Hero ROG Strix RTX 3090 32GB 3600MHz Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro RM1000i Lian Li O11-Dynamic

OFFICE: intel i5-3570K ASUS Z77 mITX EVGA GTX 970 SC 16GB 1600MHz Corsair Vengeance LP Silverstone SFX PSU Fractal Design Node 202

Try applying a slightly lower voltage for the CPU through the motherboard BIOS. You should be able to lower the CPU voltage slightly without dropping clock speed, just run some stress tests to make sure it's stable or you might experience random crashes/BSODs. If you have issues you'll need to increase the voltage or revert to default/auto.

Check the pump and fan speeds for the AIO cooler in Corsair iCue and set it to performance pump speed and increase the fan speed when the temperatures are hot. Since the water temperature is heating up it's a good indicator that the CPU mount and pump are okay.

How are your radiator and fans orientated in the case?

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

What is your fan config? Are you exhausting +350W from the 3090 through your cpu radiator?