Looking for which controller to get for Linux PC gaming

LloydLynx

I have this really old rockcandy Xbox 360 controller and the pots are really showing their age. Precision with the analogue controls is getting quite difficult, and the triggers have a deadzone worth half the throw. 

I have some requirements that need to be met:

• Standard button/stick layout, standard mapping in games
  • Analogue triggers with a decent throw
  • Wired connectivity for a no BS experience
  • Perfect Linux support OOTB
  • A resonable price for a basic controller, like ~$60 give or take
  • Made by the official or a reputable company

I at first thought about an Xbox One controller, but I've heard bad things about them on Linux. They otherwise seem perfect. 

Then I thought about getting another Xbox 360 controller, an official Microsoft one this time, but I'm concerned the trigger throw will have a massive deadzone like my current one. 

As for a Dual Shock, I've also heard bad things about them on Linux, and I frankly don't like the layout, though that last part isn't a deal breaker. 

I'll be using it to almost exclusively play BeamNG, a driving game. 

So... suggestions?

lumpy chunks

Expand to help Bunny reach world domination

(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to
(")_(") help him on his way to world domination.

-Rakshit Jain

8 minutes ago, LloydLynx said:

I at first thought about an Xbox One controller, but I've heard bad things about them on Linux. They otherwise seem perfect. 

They're what I use, and I've had no issues with them. They're dirt cheap used, and very comfortable.

1 minute ago, RONOTHAN## said:

They're what I use, and I've had no issues with them. They're dirt cheap used, and very comfortable.

Are they simply plug and play using a cable connection?

lumpy chunks

Expand to help Bunny reach world domination

(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to
(")_(") help him on his way to world domination.

-Rakshit Jain

Just now, LloydLynx said:

Are they simply plug and play using a cable connection?

Yeah. They've got a simple USB micro B connector, you just connect it and call it a day. It also works just great over Bluetooth. 

On 12/17/2021 at 3:45 PM, LloydLynx said:

I use a Wired and Wireless one (Over bluetooth) and they work fine. The Xbox Wireless Dongle on the other hand I have heard mixed results about.

In a lot of cases, it is also necessary to connect it to a Windows Machine and update the controller in the xBox Accessories app before it works correctly under Linux.

On 12/17/2021 at 3:45 PM, LloydLynx said:

As for a Dual Shock, I've also heard bad things about them on Linux, and I frankly don't like the layout, though that last part isn't a deal breaker.

Dualshock 3/4 controllers should have out of the box Support for Wired and Bluetooth. I happen to use a DS3 Controller and know it works.

Sony was working on a Official DS5 Driver, but I'm not actually sure if that was ever merged.

A lot of complaints from controller compatibility for both xBox and PlayStation come from Unofficial Generic Controllers, so keep that in mind when purchasing a controller.