Right to repair in Ministerial Mandate Letters

makzv

Summary

Ministerial Mandate Letters issued by Prime Minister Trudeau on December 16, 2021, directs Ministers to implement a right to repair, including for the repair of “digital devices and systems”.

Quotes

“Work with the Minister of Environment and Climate Change to implement a ‘right to repair’ to extend the life of home appliances, particularly electronics, by requiring manufacturers to supply repair manuals and spare parts, and by amending the Copyright Act to allow for the repair of digital devices and systems.”

My thoughts

This does not necessarily tell us much, but it is a start. It points out the importance of right to repair, at least from the environmental perspective. How this will be implement remains to be seen. Will this be done through legislation or another policy instrument? It seems it will be through legislation when it comes to the right to repair “digital services and systems”. I’m curious to find out more. This part may be aimed at the John Deere’s of this world. My apologies that there isn’t anything more detailed to share. I thought this would be of interest since right to repair was often brought up these past Wan shows. 

Sources

https://pm.gc.ca/en/mandate-letters/2021/12/16/minister-innovation-science-and-industry-mandate-letter

If if ends up passing, that's actually pretty good for us Canadians.

But like you said, it doesn't tell us much, it's literally just that one quote in the entire mandate letter and I wouldn't be surprised if it gets removed/never realized or modified along the way.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

I really hope that the repair section gets pushed through. As it stands we don't have any 'right to repair' legislation (that I know of) so this might help to set a precedent that more than just electronics benefit.

Currently the closest thing that I know of for any right to repair in Canada is an agreement with some auto manufactures to provide tools and service information. Unfortunately in the auto world that tooling and service information comes at a very steep cost to independent shops. This has gotten worse with the amount of computer modules within vehicles. It's not uncommon for shops to have to turn customers away because they can't program replaced parts and modules since the OEM scan tools and licensing can cost tens of thousands per year per manufacturer. So it would really help if we had any legislation to set a precedent that can be expanded upon.

CPU: Intel i7 - 5820k @ 4.5GHz, Cooler: Corsair H80i, Motherboard: MSI X99S Gaming 7, RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB DDR4 2666MHz CL16,

GPU: ASUS GTX 980 Strix, Case: Corsair 900D, PSU: Corsair AX860i 860W, Keyboard: Logitech G19, Mouse: Corsair M95, Storage: Intel 730 Series 480GB SSD, WD 1.5TB Black

Display: BenQ XL2730Z 2560x1440 144Hz