How to preserve Battery Lifespan

PoKee

Hello there, recently I bought a Lenovo Legion 5, it has a "Conservation Mode" which claims to extend battery lifespan 

"Conservation Mode

This function is useful to extend the lifespan of your battery when plugged.
When this mode is enabled, the battery will only be charged to 55-60% of capacity and the battery lifespan can be maximized. However, this will shorten the time you use your computer after it is disconnected from the AC power source."

Is it true? is it usefull?

Maybe?  They're trying to keep the battery in an optimal charge state for longevity but you lose out on using the full battery capacity.  

I also believe that all batteries are not created equal and you're at the mercy of the battery "lottery".  

Personally, I want full capacity when I go on battery, I'll replace the battery when it craps out.  My last laptop battery lasted 6 years, the cheapo replacement still worked when I decommissioned it after 3 years.  My new laptop came with a lower capacity battery, when it craps out I'll install the higher capacity one available.  

52 minutes ago, PoKee said:

Hello there, recently I bought a Lenovo Legion 5, it has a "Conservation Mode" which claims to extend battery lifespan 

"Conservation Mode

This function is useful to extend the lifespan of your battery when plugged.
When this mode is enabled, the battery will only be charged to 55-60% of capacity and the battery lifespan can be maximized. However, this will shorten the time you use your computer after it is disconnected from the AC power source."

Is it true? is it usefull?

Probably.  There are a lot of different lithium rechargeable battery chemistries besides the most common one in a lot of electronics of LiPo.  Most of them don’t like being charged up all the way or drained all the way.   Some of them don’t care all that much.  Older NiMh for example (in a lot of power tool battery packs and electric cars) likes 80%-20%.  There are even subsets of that though.  Some rechargeable battery chemistries like to be charged all the way up then all the way down because one gets the same number of charges out of them no matter what one does so partial charging is wasteful.  I don’t remember enough about LiPo in particular to confirm or deny that one, but it could be any of dozens of chemistries.  Means there’s a really good chance you are going to specifically need OEM replacement batteries for that laptop when the time comes. 

Edited by Bombastinator

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.