Magni 3+ power switch

Dr0y

So I got a used magni 3+ and the power switch got damaged during shipping ... it's now without a click and you can push it inside quite far without resistance.  I've contacted schiit and they said that they can repair it for quite a fair price but the problem resides in the price of the shipping ... all in all, shipping it back an forth from Quebec would cost more than what I've paid the unit. 

My question would be, what kind of switch should I get to replace the stock one ?  Do any of you have any model, part number or some link for me that would make it not that expensive to fix it.  I can do the repair myself, it's not something that complicated, but I just want to be sure to get the right switch. 

Also on another subject, I have a modi 2 and I've heard it was not that good of a dac and also the finish on it doesn't match the rest of the stack.  Would I hear an improvement in sound quality by getting the modi 3+ or would it just be about the same except that the stack will look better that way ?

Thanx for the help.

I9 10850K

EVGA RTX 3080 TI FTW3 ULTRA

32 Gb Crucial Balistix ddr4 3600mHz 16-18-18-38

MSI Z490 Tomahawk

Fractal Design Ion+ 860W platinum

Arctic Liquid Freezer II, 360mm

WB Black SN750 NVMe ssd

TeamGroup L5 3D Lite 1 Tb sata SSD

Those are pretty generic switches. I'm sure any decent electronics repair shop should have a similar switch if not find the exact one and replace it for you.

5 hours ago, Dr0y said:

Also on another subject, I have a modi 2 and I've heard it was not that good of a dac and also the finish on it doesn't match the rest of the stack.  Would I hear an improvement in sound quality by getting the modi 3+ or would it just be about the same except that the stack will look better that way ?

If you know what you are looking for you should be able to hear a difference. There are also pretty measurable differences. Should be cleaner , less compressed sounding, more detail, and maybe an improvement from staging. 

The switch should be easy to find. IIRC they just used a toggle switch, so go to Mouser or Digi-Key and find a toggle switch with the correct pin spacing and bushing diameter. If you're lucky it even has a part on it. 

You could also try bugging Schiit to see if they'll be nice enough to tell you the part number. Now and then companies will be nice.

As for the Modi... ASR really ripped Schiit a new one for the performance of their older DACs. The Modi 2 had quite a bit of jitter and was fairly sensitive to USB power. It's also bizarre in that it doesn't use a delta-sigma DAC chip like most DACs - I think they're using some Analog Devices R-R chip.

That device led to quite a few accusations of the engineers at Schiit being "not real engineers" or "science deniers", (the typical ASR response to below-average performance).

The reality? Even the Modi 2 is still lower noise and more linear than the vast majority of power amps, which are usually at least an order of magnitude more linear than the transducers you're driving. Despite being mediocre by DAC standards, it's still good enough to not matter. 

I have a Modi 2 Uber that I got around 2017 - 2018. I don't use it that much anymore because it doesn't have balanced outputs, but seriously, I absolutely cannot tell the difference between it and my Lynx L22 under most conditions. Okay, the L22 has lower noise and lower distortion - that's why I have it. But unless you're trying to use it for measurements, who cares?

6 hours ago, H713 said:

go to Mouser or Digi-Key and find a toggle switch with the correct pin spacing and bushing diameter. If you're lucky it even has a part on it. 

thanx, I'll check those out. 

As for the modi 2, I've noticed that it sounded different than the topping d20 I have but as for noise floor or distortion I really haven't heard any difference.  And even tho they sound different I can't say which one I like better.  Maybe the d20 is brighter and the modi 2 is warmer and a bit less detailed ... that's probably how I would describe them with the limited audio terminology I have.  Even tho it's good enough I still might try to get a modi 3+ and either sell the modi 2 or replace the topping d20 with the modi 2, still not sure about that tho.  I'm also tempted to get a Cambridge Audio dac to replace the d20. 

I9 10850K

MSI Z490 Tomahawk

WB Black SN750 NVMe ssd

3 hours ago, Dr0y said:

thanx, I'll check those out. 

As for the modi 2, I've noticed that it sounded different than the topping d20 I have but as for noise floor or distortion I really haven't heard any difference.  And even tho they sound different I can't say which one I like better.  Maybe the d20 is brighter and the modi 2 is warmer and a bit less detailed ... that's probably how I would describe them with the limited audio terminology I have.  Even tho it's good enough I still might try to get a modi 3+ and either sell the modi 2 or replace the topping d20 with the modi 2, still not sure about that tho.  I'm also tempted to get a Cambridge Audio dac to replace the d20. 

Yep, I mean you can always replace it if you'd like, but even with it running at full blast all throughout your night, it's going to suck less power than most LED lightbulbs. 

As for your dac situation, all I have to say is if you find something wrong with your dac and you interested in getting it fixed, I'd say absolutely go ahead, if you're just curious, maybe hold off a few weeks, see if it fades, just to make sure it's not a phase or anything like that, imo. The Modi3 probably would be auditorily better to most people's ears, but I'm not confident it's a significant improvement. 

I am NOT a professional and a lot of the time what I'm saying is based on limited knowledge and experience. I'm going to be incorrect at times. 

Motherboard Tier List                   How many watts do I need?
Best B550 Motherboards             Best Intel Z490 Motherboards

PC Troubleshooting                      You don't need a big PSU

PSU Tier List                                Common pc building mistakes 
PC BUILD Guide! (POV)              How to Overclock your CPU 

35 minutes ago, Brok3n But who cares? said:

Yep, I mean you can always replace it if you'd like, but even with it running at full blast all throughout your night, it's going to suck less power than most LED lightbulbs. 

As for your dac situation, all I have to say is if you find something wrong with your dac and you interested in getting it fixed, I'd say absolutely go ahead, if you're just curious, maybe hold off a few weeks, see if it fades, just to make sure it's not a phase or anything like that, imo. The Modi3 probably would be auditorily better to most people's ears, but I'm not confident it's a significant improvement. 

highly doubt that most people could hear a difference between the Modi 2 and the Modi 3. We are talking about distortion + noise that is >85 dB below the fundamental. You might trick yourself into thinking you hear a difference, but take a few minutes and think about how tiny those distortion + noise components are for a nominal line-level signal. You really think you're going to be able to hear those?

DACs have been a "solved problem" for almost two decades.

4 hours ago, Brok3n But who cares? said:

the unit barely turns on ... I have to play with the switch in order to get it to work and it sometimes just turn off by itself for no reason ... the contact inside the switch is not good anymore so I have to get a new switch to replace the faulty one. 

I9 10850K

MSI Z490 Tomahawk

WB Black SN750 NVMe ssd

• 1 year later...

So in the end I got that power switch from mouser.ca

https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Dailywell/1MD1T1B4M7CES?qs=B6kkDfuK7%2FAJbbilgQl4YQ%3D%3D&countrycode=CA&currencycode=CAD

I screwed up the repair probably cause lack of skill, really bad soldering iron and no flux ... I ended up tearing a contact pad so ruining the pcb. 

In the end I just got a brand new magni 3+

I9 10850K

MSI Z490 Tomahawk

WB Black SN750 NVMe ssd