Potatoes in broccoli cheese soup. What did I do wrong?

Thready

This is a real question because I'm cooking for people on Christmas. 

I put boiled potato pieces in broccoli cheese soup, hoping to make an epic once-in-a-lifetime Star Trek meets Star Wars crossover of potato soup and broccoli cheese soup.

It was awfully executed. I mean, it tasted like normal broccoli cheese soup, but I had to take the potatoes out because they added absolutely nothing to the soup. I'm wondering if I need to boil the potatoes and partly mash them a tiny bit to get the starches exposed before putting them in the soup, maybe exposing the starches will help.

My question is, should I give up on the potatoes and just focus on the broccoli cheese or keep trying with this hybrid abomination?

What crossover soup would you be willing to try, if any? 

Photographer, future counselor, computer teacher.

3600X and RTX 2070 with too many storage drives to count. 

If you didn't like it then don't keep it. You could try different kinds of potatoes as well. If you used starchy potatoes maybe try waxy ones.

The other thing I'd try is boiling the potatoes with the soup instead of separately or parboil them and finish boiling with the soup. At least then you'll get the benefit of the starches (slightly) thickening the soup.

Crystal: CPU: i7 7700K | Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix Z270F | RAM: GSkill 16 GB@3200MHz | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti FE | Case: Corsair Crystal 570X (black) | PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 1000W | Monitor: Asus VG248QE 24"

Laptop: Dell XPS 13 9370 | CPU: i5 10510U | RAM: 16 GB

Server: CPU: i5 4690k | RAM: 16 GB | Case: Corsair Graphite 760T White | Storage: 19 TB

On 12/9/2021 at 2:09 PM, tikker said:

If you didn't like it then don't keep it. You could try different kinds of potatoes as well. If you used starchy potatoes maybe try waxy ones.

The other thing I'd try is boiling the potatoes with the soup instead of separately or parboil them and finish boiling with the soup. At least then you'll get the benefit of the starches (slightly) thickening the soup.

good ideas!

Did you used way too much broccoli??? You only need a mere handful of it. If the Dish reeks of the stuff, the you know not to next time.

Please don't me started on Brussels Sprouts... Cabbage is way better, particularly in the for of sauerkraut.

You only need a small amount and they need to be floury. You need to boil them until they're basically mush and essentially dissolve them into your stock to act as a thickener. 

[ P R O J E C T _ M E L L I F E R A ]

[ 5900X @4.7GHz PBO2 | X570S Aorus Pro | 32GB GSkill Trident Z 3600MHz CL16 | EK-Quantum Reflection ]
[ ASUS RTX4080 TUF OC @3000MHz | O11D-XL | HardwareLabs GTS and GTX 360mm | XSPC D5 SATA ]

[ TechN / Phanteks G40 Blocks | Corsair AX750 | ROG Swift PG279Q | Q-Acoustics 2010i | Sabaj A4 ]

P R O J E C T | S A N D W A S P

6900K | RTX2080 | 32GB DDR4-3000 | Custom Loop 

On 12/12/2021 at 9:42 AM, whm1974 said:

Did you used way too much broccoli??? You only need a mere handful of it. If the Dish reeks of the stuff, the you know not to next time.

Please don't me started on Brussels Sprouts... Cabbage is way better, particularly in the for of sauerkraut.

I used a lot of broccoli because I tripled everything to cook 3x the recipe. But I also chopped the broccoli down into tiny pieces

On 12/12/2021 at 10:01 AM, HM-2 said:

You only need a small amount and they need to be floury. You need to boil them until they're basically mush and essentially dissolve them into your stock to act as a thickener. 

That's what I didn't do. I bought already cooked pieces from the grocery store in one of their soup ingredient packs in the produce aisle and then I just simmered them in the soup for 30 minutes. I didn't boil them beyond that. Next round I'll actually boil them for 10 minutes before putting them in the soup to simmer for 30.

Isn't it a blended soup?

Intel 4670K /w TT water 2.0 performer, GTX 1070FE, Gigabyte Z87X-DH3, Corsair HX750, 16GB Mushkin 1333mhz, Fractal R4 Windowed, Varmilo mint TKL, Logitech m310, HP Pavilion 23bw, Logitech 2.1 Speakers

1 hour ago, Yoinkerman said:

Isn't it a blended soup?

What is a blended soup pray tell?

Usually in a creme type soup you blend the cooked potatoes to make the soup more creamy...

For example a leek cream soup my wife made, and I too some times

get a stalk of leek, clean and cut in small rings, put into a small pot or pan with some olive oil and get the leek to become aldente and a little glassy.

Peel 4 medium sized potatoes and slice and dice them, bring those to a boil with about a liter of water and 2-3 teaspoons of clear broth. 

as soon as the potatoes are done, add some cream/milk, get a wand mixer and go at the potato cream soup with vengeance, until all potato pieces are blended. 

Add the leek, and spices to your liking like pepper, salt... 

Cook on small flame until the consistancy is to your liking...

-----------------

With your Cheese Brokkoly Potato cream soup, go the same way, cook the brokkoly seperately and add it in later, when the potato/cheese/cream soup is mixed up nicely. Add the brokkoly then, and let it simmer a little on small heat until taste and creamyness ist reached. 

Wand Mixer : 

image.jpeg.60abf37812c852bfa2c355264b9fe42e.jpeg

And as Bonus a saying my wife and I use when cooking (ok she doesn't anymore due to taking the final exit five years ago):

He or She who tastes while spicing is a coward =P

Main System:

Anghammarad : Asrock Taichi x570, AMD Ryzen 7 5800X @4900 MHz. 32 GB DDR4 3600, some NVME SSDs, Gainward Phoenix RTX 3070TI

System 2 "Igluna" AsRock Fatal1ty Z77 Pro, Core I5 3570k @4300, 16 GB Ram DDR3 2133, some SSD, and a 2 TB HDD each, Gainward Phantom 760GTX.

System 3 "Inskah" AsRock Fatal1ty Z77 Pro, Core I5 3570k @4300, 16 GB Ram DDR3 2133, some SSD, and a 2 TB HDD each, Gainward Phantom 760GTX.

On the Road: Acer Aspire 5 Model A515-51G-54FD, Intel Core i5 7200U, 8 GB DDR4 Ram, 120 GB SSD, 1 TB SSD, Intel CPU GFX and Nvidia MX 150, Full HD IPS display

Media System "Vio": Aorus Elite AX V2, Ryzen 7 5700X, 64 GB Ram DDR4 3200 Mushkin, 1 275 GB Crucial MX SSD, 1 tb Crucial MX500 SSD. IBM 5015 Megaraid, 4 Seagate Ironwolf 4TB HDD in raid 5, 4 WD RED 4 tb in another Raid 5, Gainward Phoenix GTX 1060

(Abit Fatal1ty FP9 IN SLI, C2Duo E8400, 6 GB Ram DDR2 800, far too less diskspace, Gainward Phantom 560 GTX broken need fixing)

Nostalgia: Amiga 1200, Tower Build, CPU/FPU/MMU 68EC020, 68030, 68882 @50 Mhz, 10 MByte ram (2 MB Chip, 8 MB Fast), Fast SCSI II, 2 CDRoms, 2 1 GB SCSI II IBM Harddrives, 512 MB Quantum Lightning HDD, self soldered Sync changer to attach VGA displays, WLAN

6 hours ago, whm1974 said:

What is a blended soup pray tell?

Its like a regular soup but you blend it with a blender 

Intel 4670K /w TT water 2.0 performer, GTX 1070FE, Gigabyte Z87X-DH3, Corsair HX750, 16GB Mushkin 1333mhz, Fractal R4 Windowed, Varmilo mint TKL, Logitech m310, HP Pavilion 23bw, Logitech 2.1 Speakers

21 hours ago, Yoinkerman said:

Isn't it a blended soup?

It's mostly blended but it has a few chunks in it, like the potatoes

23 hours ago, Thready said:

That's what I didn't do. I bought already cooked pieces from the grocery store in one of their soup ingredient packs in the produce aisle and then I just simmered them in the soup for 30 minutes. I didn't boil them beyond that. Next round I'll actually boil them for 10 minutes before putting them in the soup to simmer for 30.

Use actual potatoes. Don't buy pre-par-boiled ones. Buy actual raw potatoes and boil those with it.

Crystal: CPU: i7 7700K | Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix Z270F | RAM: GSkill 16 GB@3200MHz | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti FE | Case: Corsair Crystal 570X (black) | PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 1000W | Monitor: Asus VG248QE 24"

Laptop: Dell XPS 13 9370 | CPU: i5 10510U | RAM: 16 GB

Server: CPU: i5 4690k | RAM: 16 GB | Case: Corsair Graphite 760T White | Storage: 19 TB

3 hours ago, tikker said:

Use actual potatoes. Don't buy pre-par-boiled ones. Buy actual raw potatoes and boil those with it.

And always buy other Potatoes besides those common Idahoes brown ones. I get reds or golden one as they taste better anyway.

23 hours ago, whm1974 said:

And always buy other Potatoes besides those common Idahoes brown ones. I get reds or golden one as they taste better anyway.

I prefer russet potatoes.