Buying a new monitor and wall mounting it.

Beanman

I was thinking of buying this: https://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/dell-27-gaming-monitor-s2721dgf/apd/210-axeh/monitors-monitor-accessories?ref=p13n_snp_pdp_eol&c=us&cs=19&l=en&s=dhs monitor because it is on sale. I was wondering 1. If this monitor is worth buying at this price (if not a recommendation for a better one would be great. it would be a secondary monitor so It needs to be 27"). 2. I want to mount this and my other dell monitor to the wall and I was wondering if anyone could recommend a dual wall mount monitor for both of these. Thank you so much for any responses. 

1 hour ago, Beanman said:

I was thinking of buying this: https://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/dell-27-gaming-monitor-s2721dgf/apd/210-axeh/monitors-monitor-accessories?ref=p13n_snp_pdp_eol&c=us&cs=19&l=en&s=dhs monitor because it is on sale. I was wondering 1. If this monitor is worth buying at this price (if not a recommendation for a better one would be great. it would be a secondary monitor so It needs to be 27"). 2. I want to mount this and my other dell monitor to the wall and I was wondering if anyone could recommend a dual wall mount monitor for both of these. Thank you so much for any responses. 

The definition of secondary monitor is perhaps getting confused by the need for 27”.  If by secondary you mean the second half of a dual monitor system, the only way to have a bare chance of having monitors look alike is if they’re the same model, and even that sometimes doesn’t work. There will be color shift, there willl be pixel size and orientation issues. You may have a problem with the cursor moving between screens.  It’s done, even quite a bit, but it will always look like two monitors. 

the standard methodology for wall mounts is vesa. There are a bajillion wall mount systems.  Visible,hidden, various sorts of weight limits and range of motion, various numbers. If you want suggestions on specific models you may need to narrow your requirements a bit more.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

11 hours ago, Bombastinator said:

The definition of secondary monitor is perhaps getting confused by the need for 27”.  If by secondary you mean the second half of a dual monitor system, the only way to have a bare chance of having monitors look alike is if they’re the same model, and even that sometimes doesn’t work. There will be color shift, there willl be pixel size and orientation issues. You may have a problem with the cursor moving between screens.  It’s done, even quite a bit, but it will always look like two monitors. 

the standard methodology for wall mounts is vesa. There are a bajillion wall mount systems.  Visible,hidden, various sorts of weight limits and range of motion, various numbers. If you want suggestions on specific models you may need to narrow your requirements a bit more.

Okay I’ll be more specific, I currently have a 27” 4K 60hrz monitor and I wanted another but I wanted it to be 1440p and 144 hrz. I looked around and found this Dell one (my other one is a dell) and it is the same size 27” and is flat. I need a wall monitor mount that is flexible and able to move around allot without falling down. I believe both monitors are vesa but am not sure.

3 hours ago, Beanman said:

Okay I’ll be more specific, I currently have a 27” 4K 60hrz monitor and I wanted another but I wanted it to be 1440p and 144 hrz. I looked around and found this Dell one (my other one is a dell) and it is the same size 27” and is flat. I need a wall monitor mount that is flexible and able to move around allot without falling down. I believe both monitors are vesa but am not sure.

The differing refresh rates can cause problems. They may not be happy hooked up to the same video card at the same time. 

Re: “move around a lot”

There are vesa mounts that can go up and down by 15 feet or more and others that can turn corners.  They tend to be very big and heavy, and very expensive though.  On the other end of adjustable mounts are invisible stuff with about 20° or so of horizontal only. They tend to be much lighter and cheaper.

what is needed I suspect, is to know how much movement in what direction is needed.  The most expensive movement is forward and back for example.  Those usually take gas sprung struts. 

re: fallling down

Mounting:

The weak point of this could be the wall itself.  It depends a lot on what you want to connect to.  The method of mounting will change  Depending on what that is attached to.  You can still mount very heavy things to the middle of drywall, for example, but the connector can be expensive and not come with the mount. Different fastener systems have different weight limits which can be quite low. 

What one does is add together the weight of the device and the mount, take that weight and compare it to weighted rate for a given mounting system and surface. 
given enough information and budget though pretty much anything can be attached to almost anything else securely though. 

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

50 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

The differing refresh rates can cause problems. They may not be happy hooked up to the same video card at the same time. 

There are vesa mounts that can go up and down by 15 feet or more and others that can turn corners.  They tend to be very big and heavy, and very expensive though.  On the other end of adjustable mounts are invisible stuff with about 20° or so of horizontal only. They tend to be much lighter and cheaper.

what is needed I suspect, is to know how much movement in what direction is needed.  The most expensive movement is forward and back for example.  Those usually take gas sprung struts. 

Mounting:

The weak point of this could be the wall itself.  It depends a lot on what you want to connect to.  The method of mounting will change  Depending on what that is attached to.  You can still mount very heavy things to the middle of drywall, for example, but the connector can be expensive and not come with the mount. Different fastener systems have different weight limits which can be quite low. 

What one does is add together the weight of the device and the mount, take that weight and compare it to weighted rate for a given mounting system and surface. 
given enough information and budget though pretty much anything can be attached to almost anything else securely though. 

Okay thank you. Will the differing refresh rates affect it that much.

1 minute ago, Beanman said:

52 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

Mounting:

To be more specific I would not be running each of these monitors playing one game I would game on one and have somthing else on the other. 

35 minutes ago, Beanman said:

Likely.  It seems a bit random but often.  Might be able to do it using iGP for one and discrete card for the other.  It depends.  What may happen is you will get 60hz on both monitors

Edited by Bombastinator

33 minutes ago, Beanman said:

To be more specific I would not be running each of these monitors playing one game I would game on one and have somthing else on the other. 

Wouldn’t make a difference.  The differentiation is at too low a level I suspect.  Might be able to make it go with full screen depending on the game. Iffy though.  It’s possible if you’re using the large low refresh monitor for “other things” if those things are low requirement you might be able to plug in that monitor there and make it work.  Generally it’s a mess though.