Fans spin, no display output

whoisjaya
Go to solution Solved by whoisjaya,
On 12/8/2021 at 1:19 AM, Heliian said:

Did you reseat the cpu properly?  If he just pulled the old cooler off and slapped the new one on it could be loose in the socket. 

Seems like you were right. He's got it working now, the CPU wasn't seated properly and somehow, one of the pins in the socket was bent. (idk how that couldve happened tbh lmao)

Hey, so a friend upgraded his rig with a new CPU cooler and NVME SSD today, and his pc just won't turn on, and I've been trying to help him.

Whenever he tries to power on his machine, the fans spin and everything lights up, and other than that, nothing happens. (It doesn't seem to be rebooting, it just doesn't do anything.)

Made him take out the SSD, nothing changed.
Tried just one of the RAM sticks, in different slots, no success there either.
Tried to reseat the power cables, didn't change anything.
Plugged his display into the iGPU, still no output.

I'm thinking it may be a CPU issue, but I'm not sure since I have dealt with any actual troubleshooting in a hot minute.

Anything I'm missing here?
Thanks in advance 🙂

EDIT: Also he did say he might've spilled some isopropyl alcohol on the CPU wiping off the old thermal paste, but I doubt that really could've done anything with how fast it evaporates and considering that would've been several minutes before he first tried to power on the machine.

Make sure to tag and/or quote people so they get notified... :P:D 

My gear:

Ryzen 7 2700X / Gigabyte GA-X370M-Gaming 3 / R9 380 Nitro 4GB/ 16GB DDR4 2133 / 225GB OCZ Trion 100 / 3TB of hard drive storage
                                                                                                     AOC C24G1 / BenQ GW2270H(rarely overclocked to 87Hz :P )
                                                                               Razer Blackwidow / Redragon Kumara / Logitech G Pro Wiress / Sennheiser HD 559

Microsoft LifeCam Studio / Tonor BM700 microphone

Panasonic Lumix DC-FZ82 / Canon EOS 80D

#PCMasterrace

42 minutes ago, Jonas_2909 said:

EDIT: Also he did say he might've spilled some isopropyl alcohol on the CPU wiping off the old thermal paste, but I doubt that really could've done anything with how fast it evaporates and considering that would've been several minutes before he first tried to power on the machine.

depends on how much, and where it went. alcohol does not tend to dry quickly if it spills under a component, or anywhere it isn't directly exposed to air. if alot spilled, and it may have went under something, maybe keep a fan blowing directly on the mobo overnight, then try it again.

also, spray out under everything you can on the mobo with compressed air(from a can, not a compressor).

Did you reseat the cpu properly?  If he just pulled the old cooler off and slapped the new one on it could be loose in the socket. 

1 hour ago, bmx6454 said:

depends on how much, and where it went. alcohol does not tend to dry quickly if it spills under a component, or anywhere it isn't directly exposed to air. if alot spilled, and it may have went under something, maybe keep a fan blowing directly on the mobo overnight, then try it again.

also, spray out under everything you can on the mobo with compressed air(from a can, not a compressor).

Just double checked with him, there was no spillage, he's just afraid he might've squeezed some alcohol out of the cotton swab. But I honestly doubt that really happened.

My gear:

Ryzen 7 2700X / Gigabyte GA-X370M-Gaming 3 / R9 380 Nitro 4GB/ 16GB DDR4 2133 / 225GB OCZ Trion 100 / 3TB of hard drive storage

#PCMasterrace

37 minutes ago, Heliian said:

I was thinking that, too, and no, he has yet to try that. ('he' as in 'we're troubleshooting remotely' lmao)

My gear:

#PCMasterrace

On 12/8/2021 at 1:19 AM, Heliian said:

Seems like you were right. He's got it working now, the CPU wasn't seated properly and somehow, one of the pins in the socket was bent. (idk how that couldve happened tbh lmao)

My gear:

#PCMasterrace