RAM Stick randomly died during normal use.

Bitzs

Issue:

So I was using my pc for some usual work nothing taxing when out of nowhere both my monitors go blank but my computer stays on. I assumed it could be a cable problem but the computer boots back up with any input from me, hangs on the bios for a second and then boots to windows no problem. I went back to my work and then roughly 5 minutes later I get a BSOD: page fault in non paged area, I waited a few minutes for the auto reboot to kick in but it never did so I force powered it off and then cycled the power (power off, unplug, hold power button) but couldn't get it to POST. Knowing that it was a page error I assumed a fault in the ram perhaps a bad connection and eventually got it to post with one stick but not the other each  by themselves. 

I upgraded my PSU, CPU, and MOBO about a week ago but kept my old ram and haven't had any issues until now. MY general assumption right now is that my new MOBO killed the ram stick so im not to keen in buying new ram and then just having that killed too. Another theroy I have is that I had some sort of surge (Im on a surge protector) that killed the stick. Im mainly just asking for theory's from anyone that might have experience with this or has some advice

Specs:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3800x, stock cooler (yeah I know should get something better) and stock speeds

MOBO: Gigabyte B550M AORUS PRO - P

GPU: GEFORCE RTX 2060 VENTUS 6G OC

RAM:  Before dead stick: corsair vengeance lpx 32gb (2x16)  After: corsair vengeance lpx 16gb (1x16)

PSU: Corsair RM850x 80 + gold

DRIVES: 2x Sata ssd's 1x HDD

It's also possible that a memory channel died on the CPU,or that you don't have enough mounting pressure on the CPU.

CPU and RAM are connected to each other directly through the motherboard.

So you have 3 suspects:

CPU

RAM

Motherboard

A PC Enthusiast since 2011
AMD Ryzen 7 5700X@4.65GHz | GIGABYTE GTX 1660 GAMING OC @ Core 2085MHz Memory 5000MHz
Cinebench R23: 15669cb | Unigine Superposition 1080p Extreme: 3566

6 hours ago, Vishera said:

It's also possible that a memory channel died on the CPU,or that you don't have enough mounting pressure on the CPU.

CPU and RAM are connected to each other directly through the motherboard.

So you have 3 suspects:

CPU

RAM

Motherboard

I thought this at first but even placing both sticks in channel 1 or just the broken one in channel 1 will not allow the PC to post. So at this point I think my motherboard must have killed it or the stick had some sort of fault. but thanks for the help

4 hours ago, Bitzs said:

even placing both sticks in channel 1 or just the broken one in channel 1 will not allow the PC to post.

Sounds more like the CPU than the motherboard.

A PC Enthusiast since 2011
AMD Ryzen 7 5700X@4.65GHz | GIGABYTE GTX 1660 GAMING OC @ Core 2085MHz Memory 5000MHz
Cinebench R23: 15669cb | Unigine Superposition 1080p Extreme: 3566