Sell Me on Your Favourite GUI Text/Code Editor

maplepants
18 hours ago, Dat Guy said:

Depends on how much you pay for your electricity… 🙂 

Your electricity would have to be pretty expensive to notice RAM on your bill. The electricity where I am in Germany is pretty expensive, and 8GB of wasted RAM would only cost me 11€ ($16) a year. 

I talked to a German just two weeks ago, he lived on the streets of Hannover and “only 11€” would have helped him to survive for one more week.

Just talking about relativity here.

Write in C.

Nano and geddit are the only ones i used outside of fullblown IDE. 

One of my coworkers used a heavily modified version of nano with lots of custom shortcuts. 

Sudo make me a sandwich 

On 12/14/2021 at 4:28 AM, WolframaticAlpha said:

Jetbrains is better as a standalone IDE imho (coming from goland+clion used)

The autocomplete is better, the peek functionality is better, the plugins, while sparse are quite OKin my comparision. Package management is really ood, the debugging is quite simplified (I use LLDB on the backend and was quite happy with visual studio, so no prob there). 

but for very small projects, as well as things like python and javascript, I use vscode. I used to use sublime but I don't now because of the extensions. While I love the extensibility of vsc, I prefer jetbrains. Don't  So for smaller projects, I use vscode, larger projects and c++ stuff in clion. For scripts I alternate between neovim and vscode.

don't take my comment as me saying that vsc is trash, but I just prefer jetbrains ides. Also fleet is coming.

Problem with jetbrains is sometimes their IDEs crashes my computer. I can have for example webstorm open with debugger running then another one of their IDE open like pycharm or Phpstorm side by side and sometimes my computer grinds to a halt. When I check the ram usage on the resource monitor and i would see that java is using more than 8-12 gigs of ram. There must be some sort of memory leak or some major bug with thier IDEs. My computer has 16 gig memeory installed which should be enough for two IDEs running at once. 

Sudo make me a sandwich 

43 minutes ago, wasab said:

Nano and geddit are the only ones i used outside of fullblown IDE. 

One of my coworkers used a heavily modified version of nano with lots of custom shortcuts. 

Nano used to get so much hate in Linux forums and that just isn’t the case anymore. It’s a great editor and I am glad to see it get more of the respect it deserves. 

VS code.

Even runs on a Raspberry Pi.

Genius.

• 5 weeks later...
On 12/9/2021 at 2:52 AM, maplepants said:

This makes sense. If you've got a specialized use case, an IDE specifically for that use case can offer features that make everything about your life so much easier. A friend of mine does predictive maintenance data science for a train company and she always uses Python and R tools specifically for machine learning and data science. The toolchain and needs are so different that for her, even my beloved Nova.app might as well be TextEdit.app. 

Can support how invaluable RStudio is for my workflow as a R developer. Its built to handle and help deal with all the quirks of R, and is working on becoming a great IDE for python as well.

If I'm not using RStudio, definitely opening text files in notepad++

Notepad++

it's lightweight and not bloated.

Great for learning if you are getting started in code, as it doesn't auto correct for you, basically forcing you to learn how to code in that language instead of baby sitting you, and I guess it's yeah, just lightweight and simple.

Also it has dark mode, and you can connect it to FTP servers and stuff.

I prefer it instead of using Visual Studios Code, the simplicity and stability is nice.

1 minute ago, Elijah Kamski said:

Notepad++

Great for learning if you are getting started in code, as it doesn't auto correct for you, basically forcing you to learn how to code in that language instead of baby sitting you, and I guess it's yeah, just lightweight and simple.

I prefer it instead of using Visual Studios Code, the simplicity and stability is nice.

Forgot to mention, it's free and open sourced!

FREE BOI!!! 😄

Best selling point ever! XD

CLions for C/C++ ; but idk I am new to programming in general and I found vscode too clumsy and difficult to setup.

8 hours ago, Elijah Kamski said:

Notepad++

I think I mentioned it before, but I am quite a fan of Geany. It's a lot like Notepad++ except that it's cross-platform and has a few additional features, nothing which stops it from still feeling a world away from a massive IDE like VSCode though

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

pythonmegapixel

into tech, public transport and architecture // amateur programmer // youtuber // beginner photographer

Thanks for reading all this by the way!

By the way, my desktop is a docked laptop. Get over it, No seriously, I have an exterrnal monitor, keyboard, mouse, headset, ethernet and cooling fans all connected. Using it feels no different to a desktop, it works for several hours if the power goes out, and disconnecting just a few cables gives me something I can take on the go. There's enough power for all games I play and it even copes with basic (and some not-so-basic) video editing. Give it a go - you might just love it.