Can CPU temps affect GPU temps

LKG

I have a i3 10100 paired with a rtx 3080 ti and my cpu gets pretty hot when playing games, hits about 80 C. I see my gpu hitting close to 75 C when playing COD Vanguard. Ive seen other streamers get way lower temps on their cards at like 48 and 55 C on a rtx 3070-3080 ti. So im just wondering if it could be that my cpu is causing the temps to be that high? I also am running a hyper 212 evo on the cpu, cooler master td500 case aswell.

No. Maaaybe every so slightly if your CPU cooler is blowing it's hot air onto the back of the card. Just like the 3000 series FE design doesn't notably impact your CPU temps, neither should CPU heat affect the GPU. In the end those temperatures are not worrysome and are well within operating range for both your CPU and GPU.

They could have lower temperatures due to a different fan curve, better airflow through their case, better coolers on their cards, undervolts potentially etc. There are a lot of variables.

Crystal: CPU: i7 7700K | Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix Z270F | RAM: GSkill 16 GB@3200MHz | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti FE | Case: Corsair Crystal 570X (black) | PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 1000W | Monitor: Asus VG248QE 24"

Laptop: Dell XPS 13 9370 | CPU: i5 10510U | RAM: 16 GB

Server: CPU: i5 4690k | RAM: 16 GB | Case: Corsair Graphite 760T White | Storage: 19 TB

12 minutes ago, tikker said:

No. Maaaybe every so slightly if your CPU cooler is blowing it's hot air onto the back of the card. Just like the 3000 series FE design doesn't notably impact your CPU temps, neither should CPU heat affect the GPU. In the end those temperatures are not worrysome and are well within operating range for both your CPU and GPU.

They could have lower temperatures due to a different fan curve, better airflow through their case, better coolers on their cards, undervolts potentially etc. There are a lot of variables.

should i change to water cooling instead of air cooling the CPU? My case is a td 500 from cooler master and its said to have good air flow so, 3 intake fans, 2 exhaust, 1 on top 1 on back. Blowing out hot air as of right now

2 hours ago, LKG said:

should i change to water cooling instead of air cooling the CPU? My case is a td 500 from cooler master and its said to have good air flow so, 3 intake fans, 2 exhaust, 1 on top 1 on back. Blowing out hot air as of right now

If not at full speed, you can try adjusting your fan curves such that your fans either spin faster or at max speed. Sure temps may get lower with a better cooler, but it's not really necessary at these values. Are you having performance issues or are you worried about something else? Like I said earlier, these temperatures are fine and normal operating temperatures while gaming or putting heavy loads on the components.

Crystal: CPU: i7 7700K | Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix Z270F | RAM: GSkill 16 GB@3200MHz | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti FE | Case: Corsair Crystal 570X (black) | PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 1000W | Monitor: Asus VG248QE 24"

Server: CPU: i5 4690k | RAM: 16 GB | Case: Corsair Graphite 760T White | Storage: 19 TB

9 hours ago, tikker said:

If not at full speed, you can try adjusting your fan curves such that your fans either spin faster or at max speed. Sure temps may get lower with a better cooler, but it's not really necessary at these values. Are you having performance issues or are you worried about something else? Like I said earlier, these temperatures are fine and normal operating temperatures while gaming or putting heavy loads on the components.

Worried that my pc may crash, or that the airflow in the case isnt good when everyone else has been getting nice temps in the case. im assuming the 3080 ti is putting a lot of pressure on the i3 but im not sure

2 hours ago, LKG said:

Worried that my pc may crash, or that the airflow in the case isnt good when everyone else has been getting nice temps in the case. im assuming the 3080 ti is putting a lot of pressure on the i3 but im not sure

If you didn't overclock significantly on your own, it's unlikely to crash. The maximum temperatures for that CPU is 100 C and for the GPU it will also be something like 90 C or north of that even. Both components will also throttle themselves if temperatures rise too high, lowering their speed to prevent running too hot, or give a hard shutdown once you exceed a set limit.

80 C on the CPU and 75 C on the GPU are fine under heavy load. The i3 is probably a bottleneck to the 3080 Ti, but that's it. There's no damage or anything done to it.

8 hours ago, tikker said:

If you didn't overclock significantly on your own, it's unlikely to crash. The maximum temperatures for that CPU is 100 C and for the GPU it will also be something like 90 C or north of that even. Both components will also throttle themselves if temperatures rise too high, lowering their speed to prevent running too hot, or give a hard shutdown once you exceed a set limit.

80 C on the CPU and 75 C on the GPU are fine under heavy load. The i3 is probably a bottleneck to the 3080 Ti, but that's it. There's no damage or anything done to it.

is it possible that since the gpu is way better than the cpu, its making it run much hotter than it should? Im still learning about how parts work with each and all

14 minutes ago, LKG said:

is it possible that since the gpu is way better than the cpu, its making it run much hotter than it should? Im still learning about how parts work with each and all

There are a couple of things to consider when it comes to temps - airflow and cooling. You stated that you have a Cooler Master TD 500 case, with a decent number of fans attached to it. So airflow should be fine. The other thing, like I said, is cooling. If your graphics card has an open cooler design, meaning that it expels the majority of the heat inside the case then this can have an affect on CPU temps. This is even more so in cases where a normal air cooler, especially a down-draft one, such as the one that comes included with most lower-end processors is used for the CPU cooling. These coolers are small and tend to easily get overwhelmed by heat generated by other power hungry components in the system. A way to get around that is to get a liquid cooler and have it intake fresh from outside the case. This way your CPU will get the best possible cooling. 

That being said, if you are not experiencing any kind of CPU throttling, due to the temperature, I can't really recommend you spend any more money in this regard unless you really want to.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 - 3900x @ 4.4GHz with a Custom Loop | MBO: ASUS Crosshair VI Extreme | RAM: 4x4GB Apacer 2666MHz overclocked to 3933MHz with OCZ Reaper HPC Heatsinks | GPU: PowerColor Red Devil 6900XT | SSDs: Intel 660P 512GB SSD and Intel 660P 1TB SSD | HDD: 2x WD Black 6TB and Seagate Backup Plus 8TB External Drive | PSU: Corsair RM1000i | Case: Cooler Master C700P Black Edition | Build Log: here

1 hour ago, LKG said:

No, maybe a tiny bit yes. The CPU is going as fast as it can, the GPU is going as fast as it can. In your case the 3080 Ti is capable of rendering more frames than the i3 can deliver, so you'll be limited by your CPU, which will try to go 100%. If your GPU was a terrible-for-gaming 730 or something you would see the GPU maxed out doing as much as it can while the CPU would be chilling on the side as the GPU can't "keep up". In the latter the CPU might be running a little bit cooler as it wouldn't have much to do, but it still wouldn't matter. It's all ok.

48 minutes ago, Analog said:

If your graphics card has an open cooler design, meaning that it expels the majority of the heat inside the case then this can have an affect on CPU temps.

With proper airflow I think it affects temperatures way less than people like to think. This was the whole debate around the 3000 series' FE cooler. It would supposedly cook your CPU dumping the GPUs heat in the CPUs intake stream, but it in the end doesn't seem to affect much at all.