GPU overclocked too much, running poor

Hello everyone,

I recently decided to overclock my MSI GTX 1060 6G video card using MSI Afterburner. I got some great results initially, but I think I went a little too far because during one very GPU intensive cutscene in RDR2 my computer froze and didn't even want to boot anymore. I eventually got it to boot by removing the CMOS battery for a bit but my game ran really poor all of a sudden. I decided to remove the overclock but this didn't fix it, so I tried a little overclocking, a little downclocking, more power, checked the GPU temps and other stats which all seemed fine. I am at a loss because none of my games will run properly anymore, dropping frames all over the place but averaging around my usual FPS still.Can anyone help me fix my PC?

I have attached a GPU-Z log file beneath while running a game of Halo infinte below, hope that might indicate something to someone here.GPU-Z Sensor Log.txt

21 minutes ago, Victaro said:

Hello everyone,

I recently decided to overclock my MSI GTX 1060 6G video card using MSI Afterburner. I got some great results initially, but I think I went a little too far because during one very GPU intensive cutscene in RDR2 my computer froze and didn't even want to boot anymore. I eventually got it to boot by removing the CMOS battery for a bit but my game ran really poor all of a sudden. I decided to remove the overclock but this didn't fix it, so I tried a little overclocking, a little downclocking, more power, checked the GPU temps and other stats which all seemed fine. I am at a loss because none of my games will run properly anymore, dropping frames all over the place but averaging around my usual FPS still.Can anyone help me fix my PC?

I have attached a GPU-Z log file beneath while running a game of Halo infinte below, hope that might indicate something to someone here.GPU-Z Sensor Log.txt

It’s unlikely it didn’t boot due to GPU OC, seeing as that isn’t applied until your in windows and afterburner is loaded. It may have crashed due to pushing it too far, but it wouldn’t not boot due to the GPU OC.

Was your CPU or RAM OCed?

Rig: i7 13700k - - Asus Z790-P Wifi - - RTX 4080 - - 4x16GB 6000MHz - - Samsung 990 Pro 2TB NVMe Boot + Main Programs - - Assorted SATA SSD's for Photo Work - - Corsair RM850x - - Sound BlasterX EA-5 - - Corsair XC8 JTC Edition - - Corsair GPU Full Cover GPU Block - - XT45 X-Flow 420 + UT60 280 rads - - EK XRES RGB PWM - - Fractal Define S2 - - Acer Predator X34 -- Logitech G502 - - Logitech G710+ - - Logitech Z5500 - - LTT Deskpad

Headphones/amp/dac: Schiit Lyr 3 - - Fostex TR-X00 - - Sennheiser HD 6xx

Homelab/ Media Server: Proxmox VE host - - 512 NVMe Samsung 980 RAID Z1 for VM's/Proxmox boot - - Xeon e5 2660 V4- - Supermicro X10SRF-i - - 128 GB ECC 2133 - - 10x4 TB WD Red RAID Z2 - - Corsair 750D - - Corsair RM650i - - Dell H310 6Gbps SAS HBA - - Intel RES2SC240 SAS Expander - - TreuNAS + many other VM’s

iPhone 14 Pro - 2018 MacBook Air

Alright thanks for the help! I have not overclocked my CPU or RAM so I don't think that is the problem. I forgot to mention this before but my PC still doesn't want to boot all the time and when it does there's like a 50% chance there will be any video output

14 hours ago, LIGISTX said:

It’s unlikely it didn’t boot due to GPU OC, seeing as that isn’t applied until your in windows and afterburner is loaded. It may have crashed due to pushing it too far, but it wouldn’t not boot due to the GPU OC.

Was your CPU or RAM OCed?

Alright thanks for the help! I have not overclocked my CPU or RAM so I don't think that is the problem. I forgot to mention this before but my PC still doesn't want to boot all the time and when it does there's like a 50% chance there will be any video output

1 hour ago, Victaro said:

Hmm. What are the specs of the system? 

Rig: i7 13700k - - Asus Z790-P Wifi - - RTX 4080 - - 4x16GB 6000MHz - - Samsung 990 Pro 2TB NVMe Boot + Main Programs - - Assorted SATA SSD's for Photo Work - - Corsair RM850x - - Sound BlasterX EA-5 - - Corsair XC8 JTC Edition - - Corsair GPU Full Cover GPU Block - - XT45 X-Flow 420 + UT60 280 rads - - EK XRES RGB PWM - - Fractal Define S2 - - Acer Predator X34 -- Logitech G502 - - Logitech G710+ - - Logitech Z5500 - - LTT Deskpad

Homelab/ Media Server: Proxmox VE host - - 512 NVMe Samsung 980 RAID Z1 for VM's/Proxmox boot - - Xeon e5 2660 V4- - Supermicro X10SRF-i - - 128 GB ECC 2133 - - 10x4 TB WD Red RAID Z2 - - Corsair 750D - - Corsair RM650i - - Dell H310 6Gbps SAS HBA - - Intel RES2SC240 SAS Expander - - TreuNAS + many other VM’s

40 minutes ago, LIGISTX said:

Hmm. What are the specs of the system? 

I have now added my specs to my profile, or do you need more?

1 hour ago, Victaro said:

I have now added my specs to my profile, or do you need more?

Its usually more helpful to put the specs in the actual post, but thats ok 🙂

I would have suggested trying a BIOS update, but seeing as its a OEM type mobo, I doubt there even is a newer BIOS to try.

What happens when it doesn't boot? Do you not even get a BIOS/POST screen? Does it boot loop? What exactly is happening when it doesn't boot.

When you say no video out, again, is that in Windows? Or is that no POST screen at all? Can you get into BIOS? 

3 hours ago, LIGISTX said:

Its usually more helpful to put the specs in the actual post, but thats ok 🙂

I would have suggested trying a BIOS update, but seeing as its a OEM type mobo, I doubt there even is a newer BIOS to try.

What happens when it doesn't boot? Do you not even get a BIOS/POST screen? Does it boot loop? What exactly is happening when it doesn't boot.

When you say no video out, again, is that in Windows? Or is that no POST screen at all? Can you get into BIOS? 

Alright I will do that next time!

Yeah I don't think there's any possible BIOS updates. When it doesn't boot it usually does a boot loop for two or three times. When it finally boots it doesn't give any output so I turn it off after a while and repeat it all again and suddenly get it to boot with output.

So when there's no output I don't even see the BIOS...

2 hours ago, Victaro said:

Alright I will do that next time!

Yeah I don't think there's any possible BIOS updates. When it doesn't boot it usually does a boot loop for two or three times. When it finally boots it doesn't give any output so I turn it off after a while and repeat it all again and suddenly get it to boot with output.

So when there's no output I don't even see the BIOS...

Is the only thing you did for GPU OC was use afterburner? You didn’t flash a different GPU BIOS or use GPUZ to adjust anything, correct?

If you didn’t do anything like that, we can try and elongate the GPU being the issue by taking it out and trying just the onboard video. If you plug your monitor into the motherboards display output instead of the GPU’s, and remove the GPU, we will at least know if it is causing the issue or not. Is this something you would be comfortable trying?

Try uninstalling MSI afterburner and seeing if that helps. You could also try reinstalling the GPU drivers if this doesn't work. It's unlikely that you have actually damaged your GPU (unless you did something that you're not telling us) it's more likely to be software or driver related. If possible you could remove the card and test it in a different system (such as a friends) to see if that makes any difference. 

CPU i7 14700K | CPU Cooler Noctua NH-U12A | Motherboard MSI Pro Z690-A | GPU Zotac Airo RTX 4080 | RAM 32 GB GSkill Ripjaws V 4400
Mhz |
 Monitor Alienware AW2721D / Gigabyte M28U | PSU ASUS ROG Strix 850G

3 hours ago, Bobbysixjp said:

Try uninstalling MSI afterburner and seeing if that helps. You could also try reinstalling the GPU drivers if this doesn't work. It's unlikely that you have actually damaged your GPU (unless you did something that you're not telling us) it's more likely to be software or driver related. If possible you could remove the card and test it in a different system (such as a friends) to see if that makes any difference. 

This wouldn’t explain the boot issues tho. Afterburner doesn’t start tweaking GPU settings until it loads under windows… 

On 12/6/2021 at 1:32 AM, Bobbysixjp said:

I haven't been able to boot my PC for the past couple of days, but today it worked again and after uninstalling and reinstalling my GPU drivers it finally boots like it should again! There is still the problem of really inconsistent framrates during gameplay however, do you have any tips for that?

On 12/6/2021 at 4:38 AM, LIGISTX said:

This wouldn’t explain the boot issues tho. Afterburner doesn’t start tweaking GPU settings until it loads under windows… 

Somehow it did, reinstalling the driver made my PC boot again. but framerates during gameplay are still really inconsistent, do you have any clue how to fix that?

6 hours ago, Victaro said:

Somehow it did, reinstalling the driver made my PC boot again. but framerates during gameplay are still really inconsistent, do you have any clue how to fix that?

I have no idea - drivers are not loaded until windows loads, they don’t affect BIOS at all. You didn’t mess with GPUZ power states or something?

What are you system specs? Is BIOS on the newest version?

You can try and DDU the drivers (search google for DDU, display driver uninstalled) and start fresh, if that doesn’t work…… reformat?