Thoughts on purchasing a ROG PG35VQ in 2021/2022?

Altecice
Go to solution Solved by Stahlmann,

I bought one this summer and it's still one of the best HDR gaming monitors even by today's standards. It offers a REAL HDR experience and fairly good response times. The 200Hz refresh rate is not much of a feature but a nice bonus. There is some dark smearing but that's to be expected of a VA monitor and it's not so bad that it will ruin the experience. Picture quality is great and as soon as you turn on HDR in a supported game you will not regret buying this monitor. Even for the high price.

Basically the HDR monitor market didn't move an inch since the PG35VQ and X35 were released, which is why they're still good choices today.

1 hour ago, jaslion said:

Problem with the rog is that it is another bleeding edge model from in 2019 which also suffers from flickering and scanline faults if you don't get a good unit. That and colour inaccuracies/backlight differences. Ultrawides as of right now are in a rather sorry state as the only actual good ones are ones that are using existing tech and refining it by just not pushing limits.

I don't think this is a good deal for a couple year old monitor with known problems. Then again for these stupid high end ones there is basically not a single one without a glaring issue (just look at the samsung g series).

This monitor has no wide-spread issues to speak of anymore.

I had 3 different units of this monitor due to an RMA problem with Asus (RMA reason was a dead internal fan, the reason it took 3 new monitors was shipping damage). They all had very consistent colors (not just subjectively, but also by the measurements i've taken when calibrating them) and none of them had scanline or flickering issues to any degree.

The LG 34GN850 is better in only two ways: No dark smearing, 5% more DCI-P3 coverage. Everything else is objectively worse. Keep in mind you're talking about a very high-end VA monitor with very good response times basically on-par with LG's current gen IPS panels.

(Data from Hardware Unboxed, the Acer X35 and Asus PG35VQ are basically the same monitor so the response times still apply here, the Asus was just reviewed before he introduced his detailed response time charts.)

image.png.388f529253cb6a85aa0c1512b11ad772.png

Here is a more detailed chart. As you can see, response times are impressive for everything but the darkest transitions, overshoot is there, but not in a critical range yet. So basically not really noticeable. And it's easily fast enough to keep up with it's 200Hz refresh rate. 

image.thumb.png.ecd7c9946752e39fb9d2d7a90b09cf2f.png

Yes it's still expensive, but that is because both the Asus PG35VQ and Acer Predator X35 are still amazing monitors that are basically unrivaled especially once HDR also comes into play. (I don't see the Neo G9 as a rival in it's current state)

And afaik the issues that were present on launch have been fixed by now. That is more than i can say about Samsung monitors that were released in the last two years. I had my issues with Asus's support, but that still doesn't make me talk smack about a great overall product.

I paid 1700€ for mine and imo it was worth it. You'll have to judge yourself if the hefty price is worth it.

It's also worth to mention that currently there are no rivals on the horizon, so prices likely won't drop significantly.

Hi guys, I'm looking to upgrade my Acer Predator X34 monitor for another, newer ultrawide.

I was looking around at the current enthustast monitors and it would appear that the ROG PG35VQ is still the "top dog" when it comes to ultrawides?

• 35" 3440x1440p
  • 200Hz (144hz limited if you want to keep 10-bit colour)
  • Quantum Dot VA
  • HDR 1000
  • 512 FALD zones
  • G-Sync Ultimate

It appears it been the best since it came out in late 2019/2020. Is this a wise decision to go ahead and pick one of these badboys up now? (thoughts and opinions welcome!)

I've been offered a brand new one for £1575.

Intel I9-9900k (5Ghz) Asus ROG Maximus XI Formula | Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR4-4133mhz | ASUS ROG Strix 2080Ti | EVGA Supernova G2 1050w 80+Gold | Samsung 950 Pro M.2 (512GB) + (1TB) | Full EK custom water loop |IN-WIN S-Frame (No. 263/500)

Any problem with your x34? What are you expecting to change by going to the asus?

I mean the current screen you have is already amazing so really not that much of a difference to be found really. Yeah sure it has a higher refresh rate but going beyond 144hz is pretty much pointless anyway and a lot of games don't even support going beyond that a lot.

4 minutes ago, jaslion said:

Any problem with your x34? What are you expecting to change by going to the asus?

I mean the current screen you have is already amazing so really not that much of a difference to be found really. Yeah sure it has a higher refresh rate but going beyond 144hz is pretty much pointless anyway and a lot of games don't even support going beyond that a lot.

Good question! so, my current x34 is capped at 95hz without flickering sadly. With the newer generations of ultrawides supporting up to 200Hz + HDR1000 its honestly an enthusiast upgrade but I hope somewhat futureproof and noticeable. 

Intel I9-9900k (5Ghz) Asus ROG Maximus XI Formula | Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR4-4133mhz | ASUS ROG Strix 2080Ti | EVGA Supernova G2 1050w 80+Gold | Samsung 950 Pro M.2 (512GB) + (1TB) | Full EK custom water loop |IN-WIN S-Frame (No. 263/500)

Just now, Altecice said:

Good question! so, my current x34 is capped at 95hz without flickering sadly. Coupled with the newer generations of ultrawides to support up to 200Hz + HDR1000 its honestly an enthusiast upgrade but I hope somewhat futureproof and noticeable. 

Problem with the rog is that it is another bleeding edge model from in 2019 which also suffers from flickering and scanline faults if you don't get a good unit. That and colour inaccuracies/backlight differences. Ultrawides as of right now are in a rather sorry state as the only actual good ones are ones that are using existing tech and refining it by just not pushing limits.

I don't think this is a good deal for a couple year old monitor with known problems. Then again for these stupid high end ones there is basically not a single one without a glaring issue (just look at the samsung g series).

20 minutes ago, jaslion said:

Hmm taking your advice, do you have any other (ultrawide or not) suggestions that may be "worth" it. I was looking at the ROG mini LED display but at like £3k+ its a bit too extreme for me hahah.

53 minutes ago, Altecice said:

Hmm taking your advice, do you have any other (ultrawide or not) suggestions that may be "worth" it. I was looking at the ROG mini LED display but at like £3k+ its a bit too extreme for me hahah.

The LG 34GN850 is good since it's just an evolution of the older ones fixing issues and improving upon things.

That mini led one is another bleeding edge case and also has it's fair share of weirdness.

I basically never recommend first gen tech because you are now the beta tester.

I bought one this summer and it's still one of the best HDR gaming monitors even by today's standards. It offers a REAL HDR experience and fairly good response times. The 200Hz refresh rate is not much of a feature but a nice bonus. There is some dark smearing but that's to be expected of a VA monitor and it's not so bad that it will ruin the experience. Picture quality is great and as soon as you turn on HDR in a supported game you will not regret buying this monitor. Even for the high price.

Basically the HDR monitor market didn't move an inch since the PG35VQ and X35 were released, which is why they're still good choices today.

1 hour ago, jaslion said:

I had 3 different units of this monitor due to an RMA problem with Asus (RMA reason was a dead internal fan, the reason it took 3 new monitors was shipping damage). They all had very consistent colors (not just subjectively, but also by the measurements i've taken when calibrating them) and none of them had scanline or flickering issues to any degree.

The LG 34GN850 is better in only two ways: No dark smearing, 5% more DCI-P3 coverage. Everything else is objectively worse. Keep in mind you're talking about a very high-end VA monitor with very good response times basically on-par with LG's current gen IPS panels.

(Data from Hardware Unboxed, the Acer X35 and Asus PG35VQ are basically the same monitor so the response times still apply here, the Asus was just reviewed before he introduced his detailed response time charts.)

Here is a more detailed chart. As you can see, response times are impressive for everything but the darkest transitions, overshoot is there, but not in a critical range yet. So basically not really noticeable. And it's easily fast enough to keep up with it's 200Hz refresh rate. 

Yes it's still expensive, but that is because both the Asus PG35VQ and Acer Predator X35 are still amazing monitors that are basically unrivaled especially once HDR also comes into play. (I don't see the Neo G9 as a rival in it's current state)

And afaik the issues that were present on launch have been fixed by now. That is more than i can say about Samsung monitors that were released in the last two years. I had my issues with Asus's support, but that still doesn't make me talk smack about a great overall product.

I paid 1700€ for mine and imo it was worth it. You'll have to judge yourself if the hefty price is worth it.

It's also worth to mention that currently there are no rivals on the horizon, so prices likely won't drop significantly.

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

51 minutes ago, Stahlmann said:

Thanks for the detailed reply!

Yeah I did look over the HU review and both the X35 and 35VQ appear to be identical except the out of box colour calibration being better on the ROG monitor. I was not aware of the issues or them being fixed so that is a positive. I can pick one up for £1575 and to be clear I am viewing this as an enthusiast upgrade only. Its nice to see a review from an real owner 🙂 

How do you find the blooming for daily use with regards to the 512 FALD zones? 

Are you running 200Hz despite having to drop down to 8 bit colour/smearing >144hz? 

@jaslion - Yeah I did look over that monitor but IMO HDR400 is just marketing and not true HDR as said in the reply above me (and Linus on many occasions). HDR would be one of the main "points of interest" as to why I want to upgrade./change.

I guess I'm not looking to be dissuaded from purchasing a 35VQ I was more looking for "wait 3 weeks as X or Y is coming out and is better". Thank you both for your input however!.

1 hour ago, Altecice said:

How do you find the blooming for daily use with regards to the 512 FALD zones?

It's not too bad even in SDR use. Atm i keep it disabled for SDR, but if you're not too sensitive you can keep it enabled at all times. The FALD still boosts your contrast a lot even when using it in SDR.

Are you running 200Hz despite having to drop down to 8 bit colour/smearing >144hz? 

I tried both 200hz 8bit and 144Hz 10bit with and without HDR and even after specifically looking for differences i couldn't spot any difference in image quality between the two. However, i do notice the difference in responsiveness so i just keep it at 200Hz 8bit.

Other than the very dark transisions there isn't really any smearing, as typical from lower end VA monitors. The response times result in very clear motion.

I've been playing a lot of Dark Souls recently and as the name suggests it's a very dark game at times. Dark smearing was present at times, no doubt about that. But never to a degree where it was problematic or negatively impacting my gaming experience imo.

And in competitive games where dark smearing could be distracting are normally not that dark, so because of that it's basically a non-issue in my book.

HDR would be one of the main "points of interest" as to why I want to upgrade./change.

In that case you don't have many options. If it has to be ultrawide there are only the PG35VQ, X35 and G9. And as mentioned above i'd strongly argue against the G9 for it's still plagued with a lot of issues, even ones that were on the first model and are still not resolved.

I guess I'm not looking to be dissuaded from purchasing a 35VQ I was more looking for "wait 3 weeks as X or Y is coming out and is better". Thank you both for your input however!.

Doesn't seem like anything better is coming in the near future. Products like this normally get announced way in advance to build up hype, so seeing as nothing similar or better is announced i don't think there will be any harsch competition in this monitor segment for the time beeing.

Samsung did just announce that there is an 34" OLED ultrawide coming in 2022, but there are no details about the monitor other than that. Nothing about refresh rate, HDR capabilites, time window, pricing, etc.

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

4 minutes ago, Stahlmann said:

It's not too bad even in SDR use. Atm i keep it disabled for SDR, but if you're not too sensitive you can keep it enabled at all times. The FALD still boosts your contrast a lot even when using it in SDR.

So you keep FALD disabled for non-HDR and when it detects HDR input I guess it automatically turns it on yeah?

3 minutes ago, Altecice said:

So you keep FLAD disabled for non-HDR and when it detects HDR input I guess it automatically turns it on yeah?

Yes, HDR and SDR are different picture modes so you can set the backlight to different behavior depending on which one it is you're currently using. I also keep HDR disabled in windows to avoid any color inaccuracities and weird tonemapping when windows converts SDR content to your HDR monitor. With windows 11 there is the Win+Alt+B shortcut that quickly disables/enables HDR. So whenever i start an HDR game, i quickly press the hotkey combo to enable HDR and disable it again after closing said game. But if you don't care about a slightly more inaccurate SDR image you can also keep HDR permanently enabled in windows. But inside the monitor's HDR picture mode you can obviously not disable the FALD dimming if it's a bit distracting during desktop useage.

4 hours ago, Stahlmann said:

Yes, HDR and SDR are different picture modes so you can set the backlight to different behavior depending on which one it is you're currently using. I also keep HDR disabled in windows to avoid any color inaccuracities and weird tonemapping when windows converts SDR content to your HDR monitor. With windows 11 there is the Win+Alt+B shortcut that quickly disables/enables HDR. So whenever i start an HDR game, i quickly press the hotkey combo to enable HDR and disable it again after closing said game. But if you don't care about a slightly more inaccurate SDR image you can also keep HDR permanently enabled in windows. But inside the monitor's HDR picture mode you can obviously not disable the FALD dimming if it's a bit distracting during desktop useage.

Alright, you've convinced me to at least give it a go for the price. thanks! 😄
Did you bother to calibrate the display or use the TFTcenteral .icc & settings? I know its ~2 delta from factory but better is always better haha.

29 minutes ago, Altecice said:

Did you bother to calibrate the display or use the TFTcenteral .icc & settings? I know its ~2 delta from factory but better is always better haha.

for gaming, it's better to just use ur eyes or ur own tools if you want  rather than an icc profile since every unit is different

first thing i recommend when you receive the monitor is to use it on normal mode then toggle sdr or hdr on desktop and see which one suits you better, iirc the fald doesn't kick in on sdr so it's like 2 completely different monitors, then start calibrating once you decide on sdr or hdr for desktop

As for the price, knowing what it takes for true HDR, FALD is the only option in a smaller form factor, when smaller oleds hopefully comes out in 2023 we still have no idea how much it costs. 

Sekiro is the best looking HDR for me so far, and diablo 2 resurrection has HDR that helps with tuning HDR in game and in a way out of game in windowed mode with hdr turned on in windows.

The X35 when it launched was a worst monitor than the pg35vq in almost every way by a slight margin because acer got lazy (it's the revierse for the x27 vs pg27uq)

5950x 1.33v 5.05 4.5 88C 195w ll R20 12k ll drp4 ll x570 dark hero ll gskill 4x8gb 3666 14-14-14-32-320-24-2T (zen trfc)  1.45v 45C 1.15v soc ll 6950xt gaming x trio 325w 60C ll samsung 970 500gb nvme os ll sandisk 4tb ssd ll 6x nf12/14 ippc fans ll tt gt10 case ll evga g2 1300w ll w10 pro ll 34GN850B ll AW3423DW

9900k 1.36v 5.1avx 4.9ring 85C 195w (daily) 1.02v 4.3ghz 80w 50C R20 temps score=5500 ll D15 ll Z390 taichi ult 1.60 bios ll gskill 4x8gb 14-14-14-30-280-20 ddr3666bdie 1.45v 45C 1.22sa/1.18 io  ll EVGA 30 non90 tie ftw3 1920//10000 0.85v 300w 71C ll  6x nf14 ippc 2000rpm ll 500gb nvme 970 evo ll l sandisk 4tb sata ssd +4tb exssd backup ll 2x 500gb samsung 970 evo raid 0 llCorsair graphite 780T ll EVGA P2 1200w ll w10p ll NEC PA241w ll pa32ucg-k

prebuilt 5800 stock ll 2x8gb ddr4 cl17 3466 ll oem 3080 0.85v 1890//10000 290w 74C ll 27gl850b ll pa272w ll w11

2 hours ago, Altecice said:

I have the tools to create my own .icm profiles. So i'm pretty much independent from how good factory calibration is. It's not recommended to use ICC profiles created on different monitors as they vary unit to unit.

But remember to use the "Racing" picture mode, as this is the one that is factory calibrated.

2 hours ago, xg32 said:

first thing i recommend when you receive the monitor is to use it on normal mode then toggle sdr or hdr on desktop and see which one suits you better, iirc the fald doesn't kick in on sdr so it's like 2 completely different monitors, then start calibrating once you decide on sdr or hdr for desktop

This monitor comes with the FALD backlight enabled as default, even SDR. But it can be manually enabled and disabled in the OSD.

2 hours ago, xg32 said:

Sekiro is the best looking HDR for me so far, and diablo 2 resurrection has HDR that helps with tuning HDR in game and in a way out of game in windowed mode with hdr turned on in windows.

There are plenty of great looking HDR games nowadays, Assasins Creed: Odyssey/Valhalla, Final Fantasy 15, Metro: Exodus, Resident Evil: Village and Shadow of the Tomb Raider are a few examples that come to mind.

If you're on W11 you can also play around with auto-HDR. But from my experience it's really hit or miss. In most cases all it does is scale your SDR game to run all the way up to the monitor's max brightness, which will often only result in siginificantly brighter and objectively inaccurate games. So far i'm still very sceptical when it comes to auto-HDR. Atm i only use the HDR feature for games that natively support HDR.

2 hours ago, xg32 said:

The X35 when it launched was a worst monitor than the pg35vq in almost every way by a slight margin because acer got lazy (it's the revierse for the x27 vs pg27uq)

It's slightly worse in some ways, but the problem with the fan ramping up and down annoyingly has been fixed by acer. So right now the only real difference is slightly better factory calibration on the PG35VQ.

16 hours ago, Stahlmann said:

I have the tools to create my own .icm profiles. So i'm pretty much independent from how good factory calibration is. It's not recommended to use ICC profiles created on different monitors as they vary unit to unit.

But remember to use the "Racing" picture mode, as this is the one that is factory calibrated.

This monitor comes with the FALD backlight enabled as default, even SDR. But it can be manually enabled and disabled in the OSD.

There are plenty of great looking HDR games nowadays, Assasins Creed: Odyssey/Valhalla, Final Fantasy 15, Metro: Exodus, Resident Evil: Village and Shadow of the Tomb Raider are a few examples that come to mind.

If you're on W11 you can also play around with auto-HDR. But from my experience it's really hit or miss. In most cases all it does is scale your SDR game to run all the way up to the monitor's max brightness, which will often only result in siginificantly brighter and objectively inaccurate games. So far i'm still very sceptical when it comes to auto-HDR. Atm i only use the HDR feature for games that natively support HDR.

It's slightly worse in some ways, but the problem with the fan ramping up and down annoyingly has been fixed by acer. So right now the only real difference is slightly better factory calibration on the PG35VQ.

Well thanks for your input, its been very helpful!
Regarding HDR on the desktop, I did a bit of reading around and perhaps might have found a solution. It turns out AMDs drivers have the ability to clamp sRGB colour space baked into the driver (Nvidia does not)... tbh I don't know why Windows is still trash at managing colour. Anyway the point is, some smart person has decided to write a little program to enable it within Nvidia drivers natively. 

Taming the Wide Gamut using sRGB Emulation | PC Monitors

GitHub - ledoge/novideo_srgb: sRGB clamp for wide gamut monitors on NVIDIA GPUs

May be of use to you!

Well thanks for your input, its been very helpful!
Regarding HDR on the desktop, I did a bit of reading around and perhaps might have found a solution. It turns out AMDs drivers have the ability to clamp sRGB colour space baked into the driver (Nvidia does not)... tbh I don't know why Windows is still trash at managing colour. Anyway the point is, some smart person has decided to write a little program to enable it within Nvidia drivers natively. 

Taming the Wide Gamut using sRGB Emulation | PC Monitors

GitHub - ledoge/novideo_srgb: sRGB clamp for wide gamut monitors on NVIDIA GPUs

May be of use to you!

The color clamping works quite well in Windows, that's not the problem. Using this monitor in Windows HDR actually does clamp the gamut to sRGB for all standard apps that don't specifically call for DCI-P3 or any other color space. The problem that remains is the inaccuracity of colors like a wrong gamma curve, black crush, etc. Even with the hardware tools i have there is sadly no fix to that other than just leaving HDR disabled when it's not needed. But you actually got me interested, i have a few things that came to my mind right now. I'm gonna pull out my colorimeter again tonight and play around with some settings. If i find something that helps, i'll let you know.

33 minutes ago, Stahlmann said:

The color clamping works quite well in Windows, that's not the problem. Using this monitor in Windows HDR actually does clamp the gamut to sRGB for all standard apps that don't specifically call for DCI-P3 or any other color space. The problem that remains is the inaccuracity of colors like a wrong gamma curve, black crush, etc. Even with the hardware tools i have there is sadly no fix to that other than just leaving HDR disabled when it's not needed. But you actually got me interested, i have a few things that came to my mind right now. I'm gonna pull out my colorimeter again tonight and play around with some settings. If i find something that helps, i'll let you know.

Awesome that would be helpful. I'm ideally just doing some research for the new monitor get the best out of it. So far its:

• Use it in racing mode as its the factory calibrated mode.
  • Running it at >144Hz with 8bit mode is acceptable (even in HDR mode).
  • Limit the HDR mode to content that supports the wider colour (Win+Alt+B)
  • Turn off FALD for SDR (turns on when you use HDR mode anyway)

Anything else you can say/recommend with regard to this monitor/its settings/HDR? 

22 minutes ago, Altecice said:

Awesome that would be helpful. I'm ideally just doing some research for the new monitor get the best out of it. So far its:

• Use it in racing mode as its the factory calibrated mode.
  • Running it at >144Hz with 8bit mode is acceptable (even in HDR mode).
  • Limit the HDR mode to content that supports the wider colour (Win+Alt+B)
  • Turn off FALD for SDR (turns on when you use HDR mode anyway)

So i did manage to basically achieve perfect sRGB color accuracity while using it with HDR enabled. You can see it in the two color checker reports i attached.

Turns out my sRGB ICC profile was the problem all along:

The monitor does it's own clipping when HDR is enabled. Then the ICC profile was clipping for sRGB a 2nd time. That resulted in bad accuracity and essentially sub-100% sRGB coverage.

So using the same settings, but leaving the ICC profile completely disabled basically brings me to perfect accuractiy. That is remarkably accurate for a monitor without usning an ICC profile. Really, i never saw a monitor having so good accuracity without needing an ICC profile.

Interesting that i learned new stuff in this thread even after owning this monitor for 6 months 😄 And thanks to your thread i found out how to make sRGB emulation perfect and keep HDR enabled at all times. The only small downside is you cannot disable FALD when HDR is enabled, so it's on all the time.

ICC profile NOT applied.html ICC profile applied.html

4 minutes ago, Stahlmann said:

So i did manage to basically achieve perfect sRGB color accuracity while using it with HDR enabled. You can see it in the two color checker reports i attached.

Turns out my sRGB ICC profile was the problem all along:

The monitor does it's own clipping when HDR is enabled. Then the ICC profile was clipping for sRGB a 2nd time. That resulted in bad accuracity and essentially sub-100% sRGB coverage.

So using the same settings, but leaving the ICC profile completely disabled basically brings me to perfect accuractiy. That is remarkably accurate for a monitor without usning an ICC profile. Really, i never saw a monitor having so good accuracity without needing an ICC profile.

Interesting that i learned new stuff in this thread even after owning this monitor for 6 months 😄 And thanks to your thread i found out how to make sRGB emulation perfect and keep HDR enabled at all times. The only small downside is you cannot disable FALD when HDR is enabled, so it's on all the time.

ICC profile NOT applied.html 104.58 kB · 1 download ICC profile applied.html 104.58 kB · 1 download

Haha that's awesome dude! So basically just leave HDR mode on all the time when using the factory calibrated racing mode? I hear some people find the haloing bothersome and others don't, I will have to wait and see I guess. I think I can just live with it however and use a brighter wallpaper. 

I can see how having two sets of correction could mess with the colour accuracy as discussed that that article. I'd imagine it might be less of an issue with other monitors that aren't so well factory calibrated. 

A quick rundown of the settings i use now to achieve that accuracity.

Monitor OSD

Overclocking - 200Hz

Blue light filter - level 0 (disabled)

Color:

Contrast - 50

Red - 94

Green - 100

Blue - 97

Image:

OD - normal

Veriable Backlight - fast

Auto black level - off

System setup

Eco mode - off

Windows HDR settings

Brightness for SDR content - 0

This results in a target peak brightness for SDR content of 100 nits, which is what SDR is mastered for. You can control that however you want to achieve higher brightness but 0 is most accurate.

You can try to copy those settings, due to it's fairly good factory calibration they might be applicable for your unit. If they look bad somehow you can of course reset them or tweak to your liking.

6 minutes ago, Altecice said:

Haha that's awesome dude! So basically just leave HDR mode on all the time when using the factory calibrated racing mode?

That's basically the TLDR. When HDR is enabled the monitor will be locked into the calibrated racing mode either way.

I hear some people find the haloing bothersome and others don't, I will have to wait and see I guess. I think I can just live with it however and use a brighter wallpaper. 

If you're searching something to complain about, sure,  it can be bothersome. But like most other things you can get used to it.

I can see how having two sets of correction could mess with the colour accuracy as discussed that that article. I'd imagine it might be less of an issue with other monitors that aren't so well factory calibrated. 

It's the first time i found this issue because i never had a monitor that properly clamped it's gamut by itself before. With other semi-HDR monitors the gamut clamp didn't work as good so the ICC profiles were still required.

13 minutes ago, Stahlmann said:

A quick rundown of the settings i use now to achieve that accuracity.

Monitor OSD

Overclocking - 200Hz

Blue light filter - level 0 (disabled)

Color:

Contrast - 50

Red - 94

Green - 100

Blue - 97

Image:

OD - normal

Veriable Backlight - fast

Auto black level - off

System setup

Eco mode - off

Windows HDR settings

Brightness for SDR content - 0

This results in a target peak brightness for SDR content of 100 nits, which is what SDR is mastered for. You can control that however you want to achieve higher brightness but 0 is most accurate.

You can try to copy those settings, due to it's fairly good factory calibration they might be applicable for your unit. If they look bad somehow you can of course reset them or tweak to your liking.

What about other settings such as Wide Gamut mode under the OSD? I assume this setting only applies to SDR content as you mentioned the monitor detects HDR input and switches modes. Although since your revelations above with the .icc profile messing about with your colours, this setting may be useless now that the plan is to just leave HDR mode on 24/7.

image.png.29496f02925385ea641d55534ddb99b2.png

I feel like I owe you a beer with the amount of useful information your give out haha. Apologies for all the questions (some of them stupid no doubt) but this is my first venture into HDR and stuffs. 😄 

19 minutes ago, Altecice said:

What about other settings such as Wide Gamut mode under the OSD? I assume this setting only applies to SDR content as you mentioned the monitor detects HDR input and switches modes. Although since your revelations above with the .icc profile messing about with your colours, this setting may be useless now that the plan is to just leave HDR mode on 24/7.

If you're not using an ICC profile and don't have HDR enabled, then set sRGB here. But if you have HDR enabled 24/7 then this setting is redundant, you cannot change it.

19 minutes ago, Altecice said:

I feel like I owe you a beer with the amount of useful information your give out haha. Apologies for all the questions (some of them stupid no doubt) but this is my first venture into HDR and stuffs. 😄 

No problem, happy to help! Like i said i even learned new stuff about the monitor and especially icc calibration with HDR.

On 12/4/2021 at 4:29 PM, Stahlmann said:

If you're not using an ICC profile and don't have HDR enabled, then set sRGB here. But if you have HDR enabled 24/7 then this setting is redundant, you cannot change it.

No problem, happy to help! Like i said i even learned new stuff about the monitor and especially icc calibration with HDR.

Yep so I now have my PG35 and its awesome! for sure however, I find leaving HDR on 24/7 is distracting on the desktop with the dimming zones. Makes everything look almost foggy... So I just resort to turning it on via the hotkey when launching a game. 😄

Edit: Welp I just played with the sdr brightness and its MUCH better now, HDR stays on! 😛

11 hours ago, Altecice said:

Yep so I now have my PG35 and its awesome! for sure however

Happy you also love it!

11 hours ago, Altecice said:

I find leaving HDR on 24/7 is distracting on the desktop with the dimming zones. Makes everything look almost foggy... So I just resort to turning it on via the hotkey when launching a game. 😄

Edit: Welp I just played with the sdr brightness and its MUCH better now, HDR stays on! 😛

Like i said above turning it to 0 results in around 100 nits peak, which is the reference value for SDR. And yes, the lower you turn this setting, the less obvious and distracting the FALD backlight is on desktop.

I hope my information will help you getting the best possible image out of your monitor. If you have any further questions or stuff i (or my colorimeter) can help with let me know.