Need Help! - Upgrading from Kraken M22 to Noctua NH-D15S

Hi,

So, I've decided to upgrade from my Kraken to a Noctua as the Kraken has been nothing but loud, and providing poor temps. There is just one issue, the computer that came with the Kraken is a prebuilt from NZXT, so upgrading to a Noctua is a little bit tricky since I don't have the original AMD/AM4 backplate that came with my B450 AORUS PRO.

Could I just buy a backplate for AMD/AM4 from amazon such as this?
https://www.amazon.com/DGZZI-Backplane-Heatsink-Motherboard-Mounting/dp/B084GQFFBY/ref=sr_1_3?keywords=backplate+am4&qid=1638237062&sr=8-3

I believe the Noctua comes with it's own brackets, not a backplate. I don't remember another backplate coming with my cooler. You'll likely have to order it the one you have shown. As long as it's AM4, you will be fine.

Salisbury steak isn't steak.

2 hours ago, michealvjosh said:

Hi,

So, I've decided to upgrade from my Kraken to a Noctua as the Kraken has been nothing but loud, and providing poor temps. There is just one issue, the computer that came with the Kraken is a prebuilt from NZXT, so upgrading to a Noctua is a little bit tricky since I don't have the original AMD/AM4 backplate that came with my B450 AORUS PRO.

Could I just buy a backplate for AMD/AM4 from amazon such as this?
https://www.amazon.com/DGZZI-Backplane-Heatsink-Motherboard-Mounting/dp/B084GQFFBY/ref=sr_1_3?keywords=backplate+am4&qid=1638237062&sr=8-3

Noctua is pretty good about supplying mounting stuff. Should be available.  Need can be a variable thing with backplates.  There’s the pure weight and flex stress stuff to worry about independent of if the mounting system uses one.     Even if a backplate isn’t strictly speaking required, if it can be used it’s likely a pretty good idea. Air coolers can put a lot of weight on the motherboard if they’re big, and that one isn’t small. One has to worry about what is under a backplate though.  Stuff may need to be supported to avoid crushing stuff.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

Noctua assumes you have the backplate indeed. The one in the link looks fine!