Australian PM proposes defamation laws forcing social platforms to unmask trolls

Lightwreather
7 hours ago, Kisai said:

Well if the troll is telling the truth, it's no grounds for removal under anything but "right to be forgotten" laws. Likewise there is public information out there on celebrities dirty laundry that can't be buried because the internet will keep digging it up with lawyers constantly in ambulance chaser mode.

I'm not sure what your point is.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

7 hours ago, Kisai said:

Well if the troll is telling the truth, it's no grounds for removal under anything but "right to be forgotten" laws. Likewise there is public information out there on celebrities dirty laundry that can't be buried because the internet will keep digging it up with lawyers constantly in ambulance chaser mode.

This whole thing is an update to Defamation Law, "Trolling" is simply the media term/name chosen by media to talk about this because it's focusing on updating the law around online situations.

The bar is defamation not trolling.

14 minutes ago, mr moose said:

I'm not sure what your point is.

Chalk it up to media reporting probably trying to torpedo this from the get go, as above it has nothing to do with "trolling".

37 minutes ago, leadeater said:

Chalk it up to media reporting probably trying to torpedo this from the get go, as above it has nothing to do with "trolling".

I guess my point was regardless if we call it trolling or defamation, the reality is this proposal can't force censorship or litigation if the comments are true.  To which he seems to be arguing should be the case.   I can't work out why he is arguing for something that is already a part of the proposals outline (as we understand it from the media's reporting).

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.