Risk of activating G-Sync with uncertified FreeSync monitor?

W7aith

Hi,

I recently purchased an MSI RTX 3070 Ti Suprim X

https://www.msi.com/Graphics-Card/GeForce-RTX-3070-Ti-SUPRIM-X-8G/Specification

And since I am pretty much ignorant when it comes to monitors, I ordered an MSI Optix G241 FHD 144Hz 23.8 FreeSync

https://id.msi.com/Monitor/Optix-G241/

while only paying attention to the monitor size, refresh rate, resolution, etc... I had no idea about G-Sync vs FreeSync

I did come across some guys on YouTube claiming they activated G-Sync manually and it seems to work fine, but I paid a LOT of money for this GPU and I am scared of the risk trying it.

I did not find any official statement claiming this monitor supports G-Sync.

So obviously my question is, can I still use this monitor with the mentioned GPU without having any tears and even more important, any damage to the GPU or anything else?

or should I just sell it and buy a different monitor that supports G-Sync?

Please advise

Thanks

GSync certified just means it has been tested and confirmed to work to a certain standard set by Nvidia. 

There's no risk of damage to either the GPU or monitor by activating GSync. The worst case is that GSync doesn't work correctly, in which case you can just disable it. 

EDIT: If it doesn't work, I'd actually advise returning it and ordering a GSync certified monitor as adaptive refresh rate is a very good feature. 

4 minutes ago, Oshino Shinobu said:

If it doesn't work, I'd actually advise returning it and ordering a GSync certified monitor as adaptive refresh rate is a very good feature. 

In Indonesia (guessing from where OP gets his msi optix link), G-Sync monitor would be very exorbitantly priced.

Press quote to get a response from someone! | Check people's edited posts! | Be specific! | Trans Rights

I am human. I'm scared of the dark, and I get toothaches. My name is Frill. Don't pretend not to see me. I was born from the two of you.

1 minute ago, SorryClaire said:

In Indonesia (guessing from where OP gets his msi optix link), G-Sync monitor would be very exorbitantly priced.

Not GSync, but GSync certified, which is just a FreeSync monitor that has been tested and confirmed to work with GSync by Nvidia. There's no separate module like the is in a full GSync monitor. 

I wouldn't recommend buying an actual GSync monitor, there's no benefit for the extra cost. 

Actually I am not from Indonesia I have no idea why this link showed up in my search lol.

Money is not the issue its just a question of time and effort and if I open it I need to make sure it's covered in the return policy

1 minute ago, Tech87 said:

If you don't want to pay the extreme cost of a g sync certified display, you can go with a gsync compatible device, and that should give you a nice experience.

I mean GSync compatible (knew it was one of the two). Though there's no actual thing as GSync certified, it's just the compatible ones and there's no (inherent) extra cost to those. 

Compatible are the ones that are tested and "certified" to work to a certain level, just me using the wrong word for them. 

@W7aith If you're not in a hurry and can find one for a decent price comparable to the monitor you bought, I'd advise returning it without opening it and buying a GSync compatible monitor, just so you have peace of mind that it will work. Nvidia has a list of GSync compatible monitors you can have a look through: https://www.nvidia.com/en-gb/geforce/products/g-sync-monitors/specs/

2 minutes ago, Oshino Shinobu said:

I mean GSync compatible (knew it was one of the two). Though there's no actual thing as GSync certified, it's just the compatible ones and there's no (inherent) extra cost to those. 

Compatible are the ones that are tested and "certified" to work to a certain level, just me using the wrong word for them. 

@W7aith If you're not in a hurry and can find one for a decent price comparable to the monitor you bought, I'd advise returning it without opening it and buying a GSync compatible monitor, just so you have peace of mind that it will work. Nvidia has a list of GSync compatible monitors you can have a look through: https://www.nvidia.com/en-gb/geforce/products/g-sync-monitors/specs/

OK, I will keep this in mind

Thanks a lot.

G-Sync and FreeSync are basically interchangeable these days, with both technologies biasically working on GPUs of the opposite camp. I have had many freesync monitors that worked flawlessly with my Nvidia GPU, there was only 1 case where it didn't work which was the Samsung G7.

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.