Ubiquiti Airfiber (Like Deadmau5)

Dilfred

Wondering how I can get AirFiber, like Deadmau5? Where I live, providers aren't making an effort to bring Fiber my way, so I currently use a WISP provider (Speeds are very low - 15mbps) I do have a 50ft tower on my property already. Just wondering who I would contact or what company I would contact to get this service. I know Deadmau5 said he gets his from Milton, Ontario. I am in the Puslinch, Ontario area.

Was also looking at Ubiquiti products to use, however I noticed that their Canadian shop is much more bare than their USA shop, and also doesn't offer the same AirFiber products. I am assuming it's because the frequency licenses are different from the USA, but would love some input on this. 

If I look at the Ubiquiti USA shop, the product I would probably choose would be the airFiber 5 since its got the 100km range, however I am wondering if the airFibre 60 LR will work. I just don't know where I am going to be connecting to.

Anyways, I would appreciate your guys' input in this as I'm not sure where to fully start.

7 hours ago, Dilfred said:

Anyways, I would appreciate your guys' input in this as I'm not sure where to fully start.

You have to start by determining who are the WISPs willing to supply you in your area, and the type of hardware they recommend. There's no point in getting something high end if it's not compatible with the WISP.

Don't plan on at&t. They MAKE you use their hardware. I didn't read much into it but apparently there is no way to use a custom modem with att. Only pass through to a router.

29 minutes ago, Millbj92 said:

Don't plan on at&t. They MAKE you use their hardware. I didn't read much into it but apparently there is no way to use a custom modem with att. Only pass through to a router.

Except the OP doesnt have AT&T. They A) Mention Canada which AT&T doesnt exist up there. B) They say they are using a WISP, which is different than LTE or 5G, AT&T does not provide WISP services. 

11 hours ago, Dilfred said:

I would appreciate your guys' input in this as I'm not sure where to fully start.

I have to agree with @Falcon1986I would contact the ISP first and see what they say. 15 Mbps could very well be the best they provide. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

3 hours ago, Donut417 said:

Except the OP doesnt have AT&T. They A) Mention Canada which AT&T doesnt exist up there. B) They say they are using a WISP, which is different than LTE or 5G, AT&T does not provide WISP services. 

I have to agree with @Falcon1986I would contact the ISP first and see what they say. 15 Mbps could very well be the best they provide. 

I'm just trying to understand if I would be connecting to an Internet Exchange which provide the ISP's with Internet, or if I would go directly through the ISP's themselves.

One idea I did have was contacting Bell or Rogers, since I can see both their towers from mine, and see if they would put an airFibre module onto their tower for me, and provide me a 1Gbps connection.

17 minutes ago, Dilfred said:

One idea I did have was contacting Bell or Rogers, since I can see both their towers from mine, and see if they would put an airFibre module onto their tower for me, and provide me a 1Gbps connection.

How much money do you have? Because they will likely charge you hundreds of dollars a month to make that happen. Also who says they own the towers? Here in the US cellular carriers only lease tower space, because its cheaper to do so. 

18 minutes ago, Dilfred said:

'm just trying to understand if I would be connecting to an Internet Exchange which provide the ISP's with Internet, or if I would go directly through the ISP's themselves.

If its a WISP they have a transmitter in the area. Thats what you're connect to. They connect to a provider themselves. Getting air fiber is not going to help you get better speeds. Speeds are dictated by the ISP. 

Yes, I totally understand that, will be going with another ISP, just wondering if an ISP would even make have a dedicated Gbps connection for 1 client. Or if I have to somehow contact and Internet Exchange to get a connection to them?

4 minutes ago, Dilfred said:

Or if I have to somehow contact and Internet Exchange to get a connection to them?

Again you need BIG money. Thats what your not understanding. If you have money a company would gladly run fiber to you. They are not going to sell you service at an affordable rate, because frankly they dont have to, they will charge you what they charge ISP's and such.