This $5000 Graphics Card Can’t Game

jakkuh_t

widget.png?style=banner2

PC: 13900K, 32GB Trident Z5, AORUS 7900 XTX, 2TB SN850X, 1TB MP600, Win 11

NAS: Xeon W-2195, 64GB ECC, 180TB Storage, 1660 Ti, TrueNAS Scale

Interesting card, though sad that it didn't render in blender.... Since that could have been a nice application. (Though, 8GB of VRAM is pathetic as far as rendering more complex scenes goes...)

I didn't have the definition of IHS at hand so looked it up. It stands for "Integrated Heat Spreader" for anyone else who's memory was failing them on that 😛 I guess it also became somewhat clear later on in the video from context. 

There aren't many subjects that benefit from binary takes on them in a discussion.

Calling nVidia's bluff - because Jensen's wallet came first when they were more than happy to jack up the price of gaming cards that ended up in mining rigs because they couldn't be bothered nerfing GeForce drivers to not be compatible with mining before things all went crazy. These CMP SKU's would make (more) sense if gaming cards sucked at mining, except they don't. There's also no rationale behind the $5K pricing - sell these CMP cards for $1000 tops and I guarantee the gaming GPU shortage would fix itself in a matter of months, but no, Jensen is a greedy mongrel who wants to make himself rich while the gaming crowd suffers.

If these cards were to have a purpose they are far too late in the game and are simply overpriced for their application. The volatility of mining makes the ROI and resale on these incredibly sketchy. If mining were as stable as other GPGPU applications it would be less of a question.

Speaking of other applications - why you didn't try F@H??? I'm guessing it would outperform a 3090 on PPD assuming the folks at F@H add the device to their database.

You guys should get your hands on the A6000 and do a video - those cards CAN be used for gaming and can also be stacked making them ideal for use in a high-end workstation/gaming mixed-use system.

1 hour ago, Luscious said:

… Speaking of other applications - why you didn't try F@H??? I'm guessing it would outperform a 3090 on PPD assuming the folks at F@H add the device to their database. …

@jakkuh_t This please. Besides your account on F@H needs some activity 🙃

FaH BOINC HfM

Bifrost - 6 GPU Folding Rig  Linux Folding HOWTO Folding Remote Access Folding GPU Profiling ToU Scheduling UPS

Systems:

desktop: Lian-Li O11 Air Mini; Asus ProArt x670 WiFi; Ryzen 9 7950x; EVGA 240 CLC; 4 x 32GB DDR5-5600; 2 x Samsung 980 Pro 500GB PCIe3 NVMe; 2 x 8TB NAS; AMD FirePro W4100; MSI 4070 Ti Super Ventus 2; Corsair SF750

nas1: Fractal Node 804; SuperMicro X10sl7-f; Xeon e3-1231v3; 4 x 8GB DDR3-1666 ECC; 2 x 250GB Samsung EVO Pro SSD; 7 x 4TB Seagate NAS; Corsair HX650i

nas2: Synology DS-123j; 2 x 6TB WD Red Plus NAS

nas3: Synology DS-224+; 2 x 12TB Seagate NAS

dcn01: Fractal Meshify S2; Gigabyte Aorus ax570 Master; Ryzen 9 5900x; Noctua NH-D15; 4 x 16GB DDR4-3200; 512GB NVMe; 2 x Zotac AMP 4070ti; Corsair RM750Mx

dcn02: Fractal Meshify S2; Gigabyte ax570 Pro WiFi; Ryzen 9 3950x; Noctua NH-D15; 2 x 16GB DDR4-3200; 128GB NVMe; 2 x Zotac AMP 4070ti; Corsair RM750x

dcn03: Fractal Meshify C; Gigabyte Aorus z370 Gaming 5; i9-9900k; BeQuiet! PureRock 2 Black; 2 x 8GB DDR4-2400; 128GB SATA m.2; MSI 4070 Ti Super Gaming X; MSI 4070 Ti Super Ventus 2; Corsair TX650m

dcn05: Fractal Define S; Gigabyte Aorus b450m; Ryzen 7 2700; AMD Wraith; 2 x 8GB DDR 4-3200; 128GB SATA NVMe; Gigabyte Gaming RTX 4080 Super; Corsair TX750m

dcn06: Fractal Focus G Mini; Gigabyte Aorus b450m; Ryzen 7 2700; AMD Wraith; 2 x 8GB DDR 4-3200; 128GB SSD; Gigabyte Gaming RTX 4080 Super; Corsair CX650m

3 hours ago, Luscious said:

There's also no rationale behind the $5K pricing - sell these CMP cards for $1000 tops and I guarantee the gaming GPU shortage would fix itself in a matter of months, but no, Jensen is a greedy mongrel who wants to make himself rich while the gaming crowd suffers.

The shortage of GPUs isn't ending until the chip shortage does. Mining isn't nearly as much of an impact.

1 hour ago, Jaesop said:

The shortage of GPUs isn't ending until the chip shortage does. Mining isn't nearly as much of an impact.

1 hour ago, Jaesop said:

At this point it's just the principal of wearing out chips of any sort. Crypto, is now such a monkey show that it's mostly for lunatics. A friend of mine relies on microchips at home for her chronic pain management. A neet gizmo that jolts her back just a enogh to do something to get endorphins and some other thing. Plus hospitals with equipment getting worked hard for the real life plague event.

And also antsy gamers wanting a new GPU. The shortage, has also pushed up the cost of ram some. Mining has other costs to. It's directly responsable for using a lot of china, and US's already straining electrical and internet infra.

A new GPU right now isn't as important as gamers might think. It's just not ok for  miners to use anything so hard they get worn out. And for what? 50bucks?  If that?

As Linus aluded to in the video, it seems that this checks out among the mining community.

As for the 170HX it might still be useful with that 800-850kH/s for lower-cap crypto coins that may blow up in future bull cycles:

Also CISBROS Mining in Hong Kong is offering 170HXs for $5000 a piece (definitely check with the supplier Linus' received his card from first):

3 hours ago, Gork said:

Mining has other costs to. It's directly responsable for using a lot of china, and US's already straining electrical and internet infra.

A new GPU right now isn't as important as gamers might think. It's just not ok for  miners to use anything so hard they get worn out. And for what? 50bucks?  If that?

People really forget those "other costs" especially in places where they think electricity must be free or e-waste isn't a problem. Any intelligent person could (or should) make the argument that mining should be relegated to just ASIC hardware and these CMP cards to avoid cannibalizing gaming inventory. But even then the greed/craze of those hungry for money won't be stopped - you just cannot talk sense to an idiot. Once all this silicon is worn out the world genuinely will have a serious e-waste headache... and all for a handful of the elite who got rich selling the hardware at ridiculous artificially inflated prices, while those who jumped on the crypto bandwagon probably were lucky if they got the price of their cards back after their electrical bill. In California blackouts and brownouts are already a problem thanks to wildfires randomly happening at any time of the year that can seriously knock out an already strained power grid. Mining is just not a sustainable way of making money, and the short term gains will be outweighed by the costs EVERYBODY ends up paying down the road.

@SOGGYnoodles I have added your thread to the official thread for the video. 

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

13 hours ago, Gork said:

At this point it's just the principal of wearing out chips of any sort. Crypto, is now such a monkey show that it's mostly for lunatics. A friend of mine relies on microchips at home for her chronic pain management. A neet gizmo that jolts her back just a enogh to do something to get endorphins and some other thing. Plus hospitals with equipment getting worked hard for the real life plague event.

And also antsy gamers wanting a new GPU. The shortage, has also pushed up the cost of ram some. Mining has other costs to. It's directly responsable for using a lot of china, and US's already straining electrical and internet infra.

no it is not on power. both infratruss in both countries are old and still using a nearly 100 year old lay of power.

i mean hell. moving the led for street lights etc . has save both  cost from where ever there at and power usage.

a lot of small things in sheer number adds up fast.

MSI x399 sli plus  | AMD theardripper 2990wx all core 3ghz lock |Thermaltake flo ring 360 | EVGA 2080, Zotac 2080 |Gskill Ripjaws 128GB 3000 MHz | Corsair RM1200i |150tb | Asus tuff gaming mid tower| 10gb NIC

On 11/24/2021 at 8:50 PM, Luscious said:

Jensen is a greedy mongrel who wants to make himself rich while the gaming crowd suffers.

Won’t someone please think of the gamers?!

Truly the most oppressed group.