Mesh Routers and Gaming

Mister Woof

I recently upgraded my old router (ASUS A68U) that was having some serious deadspots in my downstairs living room for my TV and other devices.

We went with the Netgear Orbi Wifi6 AX4200 (2 point) at the recommendation of a friend. Speeds are good and the deadspot is effectively gone. We have the main router placed upstairs with the modem, and the satellite in the room with the deadspot.

We normally have been playing games over Wifi because of the layout of the rooms, and aren't interested in hardwiring it at this time.

After setting it up, it seems okay, but I did some reading afterwards and learned that mesh systems are worse for gaming and can cause a bunch of latency issues.

So far I haven't had time to game much on it (the gaming that has been done hasn't seen any issues), but it is still in my return window. Does anyone have experience with Mesh and wifi gaming, and more specifically, with the Orbi?

Would it make more sense to just get a "gaming router" and then some kind of repeater downstairs for the deadspot (media consumption)

thoughts and input appreciated

Before you reply to my post, REFRESH. 99.99% chance I edited my post. 

My System: i7-13700KF // Corsair iCUE H150i Elite Capellix // MSI MPG Z690 Edge Wifi // 32GB DDR5 G. SKILL RIPJAWS S5 6000 CL32 // Nvidia RTX 4070 Super FE // Corsair 5000D Airflow // Corsair SP120 RGB Pro x7 // Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 850w //1TB ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro/1TB Teamgroup MP33/2TB Seagate 7200RPM Hard Drive // Displays: LG Ultragear 32GP83B x2 // Royal Kludge RK100 // Logitech G Pro X Superlight // Sennheiser DROP PC38x

12 minutes ago, Mister Woof said:

I recently upgraded my old router (ASUS A68U) that was having some serious deadspots in my downstairs living room for my TV and other devices.

We went with the Netgear Orbi Wifi6 AX4200 (2 point) at the recommendation of a friend. Speeds are good and the deadspot is effectively gone. We have the main router placed upstairs with the modem, and the satellite in the room with the deadspot.

We normally have been playing games over Wifi because of the layout of the rooms, and aren't interested in hardwiring it at this time.

After setting it up, it seems okay, but I did some reading afterwards and learned that mesh systems are worse for gaming and can cause a bunch of latency issues.

So far I haven't had time to game much on it (the gaming that has been done hasn't seen any issues), but it is still in my return window. Does anyone have experience with Mesh and wifi gaming, and more specifically, with the Orbi?

Would it make more sense to just get a "gaming router" and then some kind of repeater downstairs for the deadspot (media consumption)

Gaming routers are just marketing BS, there is no such thing as a “gaming router”. It’s either a good router, or it’s a bad router, lol. 

I have had phenomenal success with google Wifi which is a mesh network. Google did a lot of work on their wireless backhaul (the mesh bits that talk back to the main router), and it’s very very low latency, nothing anyone should be concerned about. I don’t know specifics about the unit you got. But I would almost guarantee using a router + repeater would be worse.

Do a simple speed test and see what your latency is, I’m sure it’s fine. 

Rig: i7 13700k - - Asus Z790-P Wifi - - RTX 4080 - - 4x16GB 6000MHz - - Samsung 990 Pro 2TB NVMe Boot + Main Programs - - Assorted SATA SSD's for Photo Work - - Corsair RM850x - - Sound BlasterX EA-5 - - Corsair XC8 JTC Edition - - Corsair GPU Full Cover GPU Block - - XT45 X-Flow 420 + UT60 280 rads - - EK XRES RGB PWM - - Fractal Define S2 - - Acer Predator X34 -- Logitech G502 - - Logitech G710+ - - Logitech Z5500 - - LTT Deskpad

Headphones/amp/dac: Schiit Lyr 3 - - Fostex TR-X00 - - Sennheiser HD 6xx

Homelab/ Media Server: Proxmox VE host - - 512 NVMe Samsung 980 RAID Z1 for VM's/Proxmox boot - - Xeon e5 2660 V4- - Supermicro X10SRF-i - - 128 GB ECC 2133 - - 10x4 TB WD Red RAID Z2 - - Corsair 750D - - Corsair RM650i - - Dell H310 6Gbps SAS HBA - - Intel RES2SC240 SAS Expander - - TreuNAS + many other VM’s

iPhone 14 Pro - 2018 MacBook Air

6 minutes ago, LIGISTX said:

Gaming routers are just marketing BS, there is no such thing as a “gaming router”. It’s either a good router, or it’s a bad router, lol. 

I have had phenomenal success with google Wifi which is a mesh network. Google did a lot of work on their wireless backhaul (the mesh bits that talk back to the main router), and it’s very very lot latency, nothing anyone should be concerned about. I don’t know specifics about the unit you got. But I would almost guarantee using a router + repeater would be worse.

Do a simple speed test and see what your latency is, I’m sure it’s fine. 

Yep agree hence the "gaming router"

gaming latency seems consistent from prior router, but i haven't had time to deep delve into it. I have time to return it, but just wanted to get it all sorted out sooner rather than later.

The mesh is overkill for my house, as it's supposed to be good enough for 5000sf (i am at around 1700sf) but it is just that one deadspot.

There is only one router and 1 satellite, so i presume that should cut down on some of the inherent repeating going on than if there were say, 3 or 4.

My System: i7-13700KF // Corsair iCUE H150i Elite Capellix // MSI MPG Z690 Edge Wifi // 32GB DDR5 G. SKILL RIPJAWS S5 6000 CL32 // Nvidia RTX 4070 Super FE // Corsair 5000D Airflow // Corsair SP120 RGB Pro x7 // Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 850w //1TB ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro/1TB Teamgroup MP33/2TB Seagate 7200RPM Hard Drive // Displays: LG Ultragear 32GP83B x2 // Royal Kludge RK100 // Logitech G Pro X Superlight // Sennheiser DROP PC38x

44 minutes ago, Mister Woof said:

I use the Amplifi HD for my house and have no issues gaming, ping is acceptable as compared to other routers I have had.  

Doubt a gaming router will be much better.

If it's that big a deal, run an ethernet cable to the PC you care about.  

"Do what makes the experience better" - in regards to PCs and Life itself.

Onyx AMD Ryzen 7 7800x3d / MSI 6900xt Gaming X Trio / Gigabyte B650 AORUS Pro AX / G. Skill Flare X5 6000CL36 32GB / Samsung 980 1TB x3 / Super Flower Leadex V Platinum Pro 850 / EK-AIO 360 Basic / Fractal Design North XL (black mesh) / AOC AGON 35" 3440x1440 100Hz / Mackie CR5BT / Corsair Virtuoso SE / Cherry MX Board 3.0 / Logitech G502

7800X3D - PBO -30 all cores, 4.90GHz all core, 5.05GHz single core, 18286 C23 multi, 1779 C23 single

Emma : i9 9900K @5.1Ghz - Gigabyte AORUS 1080Ti - Gigabyte AORUS Z370 Gaming 5 - G. Skill Ripjaws V 32GB 3200CL16 - 750 EVO 512GB + 2x 860 EVO 1TB (RAID0) - EVGA SuperNova 650 P2 - Thermaltake Water 3.0 Ultimate 360mm - Fractal Design Define R6 - TP-Link AC1900 PCIe Wifi

Raven: AMD Ryzen 5 5600x3d - ASRock B550M Pro4 - G. Skill Ripjaws V 16GB 3200Mhz - XFX Radeon RX6650XT - Samsung 980 1TB + Crucial MX500 1TB - TP-Link AC600 USB Wifi - Gigabyte GP-P450B PSU -  Cooler Master MasterBox Q300L -  Samsung 27" 1080p

Plex : AMD Ryzen 5 5600 - Gigabyte B550M AORUS Elite AX - G. Skill Ripjaws V 16GB 2400Mhz - MSI 1050Ti 4GB - Crucial P3 Plus 500GB + WD Red NAS 4TBx2 - TP-Link AC1200 PCIe Wifi - EVGA SuperNova 650 P2 - ASUS Prime AP201 - Spectre 24" 1080p

Steam Deck 512GB OLED

OnePlus: 

OnePlus 11 5G - 16GB RAM, 256GB NAND, Eternal Green

OnePlus Buds Pro 2 - Eternal Green

Other Tech:

- 2021 Volvo S60 Recharge T8 Polestar Engineered - 415hp/495tq 2.0L 4cyl. turbocharged, supercharged and electrified.

Lenovo 720S Touch 15.6" - i7 7700HQ, 16GB RAM 2400MHz, 512GB NVMe SSD, 1050Ti, 4K touchscreen

MSI GF62 15.6" - i7 7700HQ, 16GB RAM 2400 MHz, 256GB NVMe SSD + 1TB 7200rpm HDD, 1050Ti

- Ubiquiti Amplifi HD mesh wifi

Just now, Dedayog said:

I use the Amplifi HD for my house and have no issues gaming, ping is acceptable as compared to other routers I have had.  

Doubt a gaming router will be much better.

If it's that big a deal, run an ethernet cable to the PC you care about.  

I don't really - just wanted to get some input from people actually using it if they had problems.

Nobody plays competitive gaming (well except my kids, but whatever they can buy their own house).

Rather have okay gaming and great coverage.

37 minutes ago, Mister Woof said:

I don't really - just wanted to get some input from people actually using it if they had problems.

You're going to get more useful information if you test it yourself under your conditions.

Unlike totally wired solutions, WiFi experience can vary more depending on interference and the unique layout of your living space. If, for example, I get average performance in my smaller home with all-concrete walls, that performance might improve in a house with no internal concrete walls and an open layout. Yet my opinion would be that it's no better than my old setup. But you have the opportunity to run tests yourself since it's already set up in your home.

3 minutes ago, Falcon1986 said:

You're going to get more useful information if you test it yourself under your conditions.

Unlike totally wired solutions, WiFi experience can vary more depending on interference and the unique layout of your living space. If, for example, I get average performance in my smaller home with all-concrete walls, that performance might improve in a house with no internal concrete walls and an open layout. Yet my opinion would be that it's no better than my old setup. But you have the opportunity to run tests yourself since it's already set up in your home.

Well since the starting point was always wireless, and the location of the main router is the same, it is probably not going to be noticeable at all. Doesn't seem so.

Was hoping to see if anyone switched from your conventional wifi router to a mesh system and had any feedback.