Any way to get YouTube #shorts to always display as a normal video on a mobile broswer?

YoungBlade

At this point, I'm basically avoiding any #shorts video because I can't stand the interface. I've been avoiding the YouTube app for years now to limit this exact type of behavior, and that was working for months with #shorts, but now YouTube has ported over that experience to the mobile browser.

The only trick I've found is to replace the "/shorts/" in the URL with "/watch?v=" and that does work, but it's more than a little annoying to have to do that for every single video. Is there a way to tell YouTube to not show a #shorts video in the #shorts format?

Can't you just browse YouTube from a mobile browser using a Desktop user agent? Then you would just have the normal Desktop web page? I only use desktop pages.

Just now, OhioYJ said:

Can't you just browse YouTube from a mobile browser using a Desktop user agent? Then you would just have the normal Desktop web page? I only use desktop pages.

that would be too slow on lower end phones.

|:Insert something funny:|

-----------------

#

8 minutes ago, OhioYJ said:

I can't for several reasons. For one, the comments refuse to load with the Desktop view. Second is because I use a browser extension that allows for listening to videos without the tab being in focus, and while the screen is locked. This functionality ends up breaking if I use the Desktop view in a number of ways. The worst is that videos stay loaded when going to the next one, so if I am watching Video A and click on a recommended Video B, video A will continue to play even after Video B starts, so I'll be hearing the audio from both.

18 minutes ago, adarw said:

that would be too slow on lower end phones.

This might be a valid reason? I don't know I still use Desktop pages on pretty old devices, but they were decent devices in their day.

12 minutes ago, YoungBlade said:

I can't for several reasons. For one, the comments refuse to load with the Desktop view. 

Could try a different browser. I listen to YouTube on a regular basis at work, and only use Desktop pages for everything. 

Just now, OhioYJ said:

Could try a different browser. I listen to YouTube on a regular basis at work, and only use Desktop pages for everything. 

First, I would rather avoid #shorts than change my browser. I already dislike Google, so I don't want to use anything that is Chromium based, which is basically every single browser except Firefox now. I also would prefer to use something besides YouTube, honestly, but all of the creators I like are on YouTube. I'm willing to make that compromise, but I'd rather not compromise on the first. I'd also prefer to have an option apart from Android and iPhone, but Microsoft apparently can't make a decent OS to save their life at this point, and Linux on mobile still has a way to go.

Second, is there even another browser besides Firefox for mobile that offers an extension/feature to let me listen to videos while the screen is locked or while I'm looking at a different tab?

11 minutes ago, YoungBlade said:

Second, is there even another browser besides Firefox for mobile that offers an extension/feature to let me listen to videos while the screen is locked or while I'm looking at a different tab?

If you go all the way back to Firefox 68, no need for extensions or anything. A couple changes in about:config, and the videos will just play, no shorts, no worries about the screen being locked, etc. The problem is if you let Firefox update you'll lose a bunch of features and functionality, as Firefox is well..... 

Since Firefox 68 was finally starting to be a little broken on some modern web pages, I've switched to Brave, which has some annoyances and they are pretty big annoyances, and it's Chromium based.

Ive seen people put extra lines in their adblocker to completely remove all the shorts from their recommended lists.
I should really do this, as i am infuriated when i see 70% of my monitor just be black screen.

Why are all good things ruined by the ignorant masses.

Games used to be developed for PC then ported to console, taking out some stuff.

Today almost all games are made for console then ported over to PC, missing lots of capability's. (obviously im not talking about the indie dev's that still code for the correct platforms)

Same now with this shite on youtube, the phone users are ruining the internet experience for PC users.

Its always the ignorant masses ruining good things, they only started using after it was made good, then they fucking completely ruin it. :old-angry:

When i ask for more specs, don't expect me to know the answer!
I'm just helping YOU to help YOURSELF!
(The more info you give the easier it is for others to help you out!)

Not willing to capitulate to the ignorance of the masses!

1 hour ago, YoungBlade said:

The only trick I've found is to replace the "/shorts/" in the URL with "/watch?v=" and that does work

Sounds like something dead easy to code as an extension, maybe someone's done it already?

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2