GPU upgrade, wondering if new powersupply is needed

aurrorax
Go to solution Solved by Mark Kaine,
33 minutes ago, aurrorax said:

So I got the card today, isntalled it, 3 seperate cables from the PSU, with cablemod modmesh pro extensions (so you have all the information) and did some benchmarks, like Anno 1800 and shadow of the tombraider.

Nothing weird so far!

the Anno 1800 benchmark pushes 100% gpu usage so.

Glad to hear! I maybe jumped the gun a bit, but yeah the newer focus models have this issue fixed allegedly. 

On 11/22/2021 at 3:22 PM, aurrorax said:

That's a story i'd want to hear x) hope you are okay

Haha, well after I got the psu (prime 850w) I tested it with the tester that comes with it... loud bang, next thing in our house all lights went out...

After the initial shock I couldn't believe it and tried another outlet,  same thing, but this time there were like electrical arches coming out of the back of the psu, so yeah it was scary to "turn it off" and unplug it, it was arching and buzzing for a few minutes lol...

I'm just glad they put the tester in the box, they will know why!

Lol, I think it maybe doesn't sound like a big deal, but it was scary and I thought im gonna die touching the thing... 😅

PS: the metal pins where you plug the power cable in were also melted, in just a few minutes (they were ok initially when I plugged it in)  So yeah👀 

Hi all,

I currently have this system :

R9 5900x

X570 Aorus ultra

Corsair h100i

4x16GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 3200 C16

EVGA RTX 2080 super black

x 1Firecuda 520 1tb

2 x Samsung 970 EVO

6x Corsair LL120

Seasonic Focus PX-850

I am planning to upgrade to a 6900XT, specifcally the Aorus master one from gigabyte, due to be able to get it for a decent price.

I am wondering if I need to upgrade my power supply, the current Focus PX-850 does come with 3x 8-pin, so connetion wise it should be okay.

Anyone have any experience with 850W with a Ryzen 9 and such a gpu?

Not going to overlock

Thanks!

Honestly its probably not enough,  850w is recommended,  but lots of people had issues with a high power card like 6900xt, due to transient power spikes - a good 1000w psu is therfore (unofficially) recommended. 

You can try with your 850w, but i wouldn't,  especially because older Seasonic focus have known issues with high transient power spikes.

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

1 hour ago, Mark Kaine said:

Honestly its probably not enough,  850w is recommended,  but lots of people had issues with a high power card like 6900xt, due to transient power spikes - a good 1000w psu is therfore (unofficially) recommended. 

You can try with your 850w, but i wouldn't,  especially because older Seasonic focus have known issues with high transient power spikes.

Hey,

Thanks for your input.

Would you happen to have any sources for this?

If there is any research done for it, I will buy new PSU no problem.

But if not, i'd love to save 300,- euro for the new PSU.

17 minutes ago, aurrorax said:

Hey,

Thanks for your input.

Would you happen to have any sources for this?

If there is any research done for it, I will buy new PSU no problem.

But if not, i'd love to save 300,- euro for the new PSU.

This is widely known,  there are literally 1000s of threads and topics about this, especially noteworthy with older Seasonic focus units (which are apparently great , except for that 1 little flaw, ie too aggressive "protection")

As I said you can try with your psu, there are people who claimed it worked for them, but if you get crashing issues (especially with new AAA titles) then you know why.

And as said, personally I wouldn't,  especially not with a Seasonic focus.

(yes thats Nvidia,  but AMD has the same problematic with their high end 6000 series)

Edit: production year of your psu? Apparently newer versions don't have this issue  - however,  its still just 850w, for a probably super high clocked 3rd party 6900xt... 🤔

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

30 minutes ago, Mark Kaine said:

This is widely known,  there are literally 1000s of threads and topics about this, especially noteworthy with older Seasonic focus units (which are apparently great , except for that 1 little flaw, ie too aggressive "protection")

As I said you can try with your psu, there are people who claimed it worked for them, but if you get crashing issues (especially with new AAA titles) then you know why.

And as said, personally I wouldn't,  especially not with a Seasonic focus.

(yes thats Nvidia,  but AMD has the same problematic with their high end 6000 series)

Edit: production year of your psu? Apparently newer versions don't have this issue  - however,  its still just 850w, for a probably super high clocked 3rd party 6900xt... 🤔

Hi,

First of all, thanks for your great insights so far.

I checked my PSU purchase date.

It seems to be the oneseasonic refresh (newer) Focus PX-850, I bought it brand new on 22-04-2020

The one that is listed on tier A on single rail. 

If its the newer model, it should probably work, as said 850w is recommended officially,  but if you get random crashes etc, its probably the psu (850w is cutting it *real* close)

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

4 minutes ago, Mark Kaine said:

If its the newer model, it should probably work, as said 850w is recommended officially,  but if you get random crashes etc, its probably the psu (850w is cutting it *real* close)

Thank you for your insights.

If it does not work do you have a recommendation for a 1000W unit?

If possible seasonic, i like long warranties 😉

6 minutes ago, aurrorax said:

Thank you for your insights.

If it does not work do you have a recommendation for a 1000W unit?

No problem. Well yes, a Corsair HXI, just put a Seasonic sticker on it or something (i don't like Seasonic since a "prime" tried to kill me recently,  hence I don't recommend it 😄 )

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

13 minutes ago, Mark Kaine said:

No problem. Well yes, a Corsair HXI, just put a Seasonic sticker on it or something (i don't like Seasonic since a "prime" tried to kill me recently,  hence I don't recommend it 😄 )

1 hour ago, aurrorax said:

It seems to be the oneseasonic refresh (newer) Focus PX-850, I bought it brand new on 22-04-2020

Just try it and if it doesn't work contact Seasonic and try to RMA it.

There's very little info about the GX/GM/PX lineup with the new cards, Seasonic hasn't said anything about it either.

On 11/22/2021 at 3:08 PM, Mark Kaine said:

So I got the card today, isntalled it, 3 seperate cables from the PSU, with cablemod modmesh pro extensions (so you have all the information) and did some benchmarks, like Anno 1800 and shadow of the tombraider.

Nothing weird so far!

33 minutes ago, aurrorax said:

Nothing weird so far!

Glad to hear! I maybe jumped the gun a bit, but yeah the newer focus models have this issue fixed allegedly. 

On 11/22/2021 at 3:22 PM, aurrorax said:

Haha, well after I got the psu (prime 850w) I tested it with the tester that comes with it... loud bang, next thing in our house all lights went out...

After the initial shock I couldn't believe it and tried another outlet,  same thing, but this time there were like electrical arches coming out of the back of the psu, so yeah it was scary to "turn it off" and unplug it, it was arching and buzzing for a few minutes lol...

Lol, I think it maybe doesn't sound like a big deal, but it was scary and I thought im gonna die touching the thing... 😅

PS: the metal pins where you plug the power cable in were also melted, in just a few minutes (they were ok initially when I plugged it in)  So yeah👀 

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

850W should be fine. I'm on an EVGA Supernova P2 850W, and it's running a 10940X @ 4.8GHz all core, plus a 3080Ti all under water.

11 minutes ago, Mark Kaine said:

I always have had seasonic PSU, I have had a Focus GX-850? ( I believe it was) come in DOA when building a pc for a friend, interesting to hear other people's experiences

Weird symptomps, all LED"s on the B550 board were on, but PC would not startup.

• 1 month later...
On 11/23/2021 at 7:43 PM, Mark Kaine said:

Would like to post an update after some time using the rig, no Issues so far, everything working great, even on combined loads CPU?GPU when running graphics accelerated virtual machines.

The display on the RX6900XT Master does show peaks of 414W TGP, but the Focus PX850 (refresh) is handling it like a champ!