My samsung monitors are a fire hazard

Fassive

So im not exactly sure what I want to do with this post, I guess maybe some advice would be nice (how to handle this with the manufacturer/seller) and a PSA about leaving hardware to run when youre not there? And just a funny story to read.

So... the backstory: Me and my friends are competing in a 23 hour charity race for mental health awareness and we are coming up to my stints (im driving the car in about and hour or so) and my middle monitor showing Iracing starts acting up.

I dont think anything weird of it because visual bugs happen quite often in Iracing when the sim has been running for a while, usually a restart of the sim fixes this. I record a video for my friends to see what (I thought) was a weird visual bug and post it in the discord:

Not even 2 minutes later (when my friends are reacting to the video i posted) I notice a blob of what I can only discribe as dead pixels forming on the right hand side of my display (Samsung LC27JG50), I touch it (like and idiot) and it actually burns my finger:

(Non PG swearing, so be warned)

https://www.twitch.tv/r8g_gordiemutchracing/clip/MushyCrispyDunlinDogFace-BDzwGdf9bDyfkfWr

Hole in the display: https://imgur.com/kxIrHRp

So after I turn off the monitor I jump out of my sim rig to unplug it as well and then the smell hits me... burning plastics and electronics. GREAT, I have to be in the racecar in 50 minutes by now and have a dead display that I need to replace.

I do have a replacement but its a 4k 60hz monitor, So ill be going into my race stint with 0 practice on 60hz (coming from a 144hz simracer, believe me that is a MASSIVE difference) So I replace the broken monitor like an F1 pitcrew and the rest is history...

So how do I aproach this phone call with Samsung/the seller tomorrow, im not comfortable running these monitors anymore as they have now shown themselfs to spontaniously conbust...

It's very odd, it may just be a faulty unit. A working monitor should be able to handle running 24/7 no problem. You may have just gotten very unlucky, I don't think it's likely that the other monitors will suffer the same fate unless the entire batch of monitors was faulty and all 3 monitors you've got are from the same batch, again highly unlikely but not impossible. It's best to talk with Samsung and see what guidance they offer on what to do with the broken monitor and the 2 working ones.

1 minute ago, AndreiArgeanu said:

It's very odd, it may just be a faulty unit. A working monitor should be able to handle running 24/7 no problem. You may have just gotten very unlucky, I don't think it's likely that the other monitors will suffer the same fate unless the entire batch of monitors was faulty and all 3 monitors you've got are from the same batch, again highly unlikely but not impossible. It's best to talk with Samsung and see what guidance they offer on what to do with the broken monitor and the 2 working ones.

Yeah i've been running them fine for just over 2 years now, but this doesnt fill me with confidence if you know what I mean. 🙃