Weird SSD issue, pinned at 100%, always

TetraSky
Go to solution Solved by TetraSky,

Alright well, I think I fixed it...

Hours wasted trying to find a fix.

As a last ditch effort before trying it in a different PC, I tried changing sata port.

Now it works. 0% on boot and stays like that so far *knock on wood*

Rebooted a few times for a sanity check and it seems to be fine now.

So it was either a windows issue or a sata port issue for lord knows why since I haven't touched those ports in months now. Never heard of a single SATA port going to shit randomly before. Whole row of sata ports, sure when the controller craps the bed. But a single one? That's a new one for me.

I've been trying to diagnose this issue for the better part of the day now.

My SSD is stuck at 100%. It never wants to go off that 100%. I have tried formatting it, changing the drive letter, completely nuking it from orbit with Gparted... But the moment I'm back in windows, 100%.

Spoiler

image.png.4a7a59b7ad8ccef09d0401dcffa69803.png

This was taken a few seconds after booting. It immediately went to 100% and stayed there, all my other drives are at 0%. This is not my windows drive, there's literally nothing on it right now, I don't get it.

But, something that boggles my mind even more.... Is that even though I formatted it, 

Spoiler

image.png.c5da28fc4649d1cb7dd6f313c9bd80c0.png

46.7GB of used space?????

There's NOTHING on it

Spoiler

image.png.af8a1f082df3d4f49b88fe38d814e59c.pngimage.png.3344fc557f53fb36637b238908c16732.png

Anyone know what the hell is going on with this SSD? I thought SSDs failing just locked themselves up from further writing, not act like a bitch and lock up windows all the time because it's pinned at 100% and windows can't access it so it keeps trying and trying and trying and locking up.

Oh and here's the Crystal Disk Info of it

Spoiler

image.png.49b3ebb027e382e108ee180e2cac9f9a.png

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

Just now, Somerandomtechyboi said:

Maybe put a fan over the ssd? Might just ve overheating or something

Though prob a faulty ssd so consider rma

It's barely 38˚C, that's just a bit more than body temperature. Not exactly what I'd consider overheating.

I'm also considering RMA, but I need to be sure this is a SSD issue and not a stupid windows issue.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

Just now, TetraSky said:

It's barely 38˚C, that's just a bit more than body temperature. Not exactly what I'd consider overheating.

I'm also considering RMA, but I need to be sure this is a SSD issue and not a stupid windows issue.

Windows has devolved alot but i doubt it would just pin an ssd at 100% constantly

Prob just an ssd issue, just rma it

Deleting the partition in Disk Manager puts the drive back at 0% so I can at least "work" on it this way (can't actually use it as a drive, though).

From there, I installed WD's Dashboard and I'm currently running an extended SMART test on it. Firmware was up to date, says drive health is normal, at 99% even.
Will see if it does or say anything... Wtf is this "Security : Frozen", though...

Spoiler

image.thumb.png.5784de52c6a5f31499fdf8fb6f170155.png

Edit Nvm, even that showed no issues, I'm at a loss

Spoiler

image.png.34c0fc36efe7661c672d6bfdb2985c62.png

It could very well be a windows issue, I had a similar thing happen a while ago.

That drive is now in a different system, and works perfectly fine.

Alright well, I think I fixed it...

Hours wasted trying to find a fix.

As a last ditch effort before trying it in a different PC, I tried changing sata port.

Now it works. 0% on boot and stays like that so far *knock on wood*

Rebooted a few times for a sanity check and it seems to be fine now.

So it was either a windows issue or a sata port issue for lord knows why since I haven't touched those ports in months now. Never heard of a single SATA port going to shit randomly before. Whole row of sata ports, sure when the controller craps the bed. But a single one? That's a new one for me.