What is an Xbox Certified Display??

AlexTheGreatish

Microsoft just released 3 new "Designed for Xbox" monitors, but what does that even mean and are they any good?

Watch the Game Historian's video about the Sharp Nintendo TV: https://youtu.be/OmhhDvncrFYWatch

Tech Tangents Playstation 3D Display video: https://youtu.be/H9zBfE1zNZE

Buy Philips Momentum 559M1RYV Gaming Monitor

On Amazon (PAID LINK): https://geni.us/uNBz7J

Buy Acer NITRO XV2 Xbox Edition

On Amazon (PAID LINK): https://geni.us/KYkv

On Best Buy (PAID LINK): https://geni.us/HfPT

Interesting. It's a cool idea, but usually just a marketing gimmick after all. From what I know the Nintendo's and Playstation 3's screens flopped, they were expensive and nobody really used them. Nowadays they're just cool nostalgic collection pieces.

I personally wish they made an official Xbox monitor. Designed for Xbox does not really say much, just like Sony's own line of TVs that are recommended for PS5s.

Alex brings a microscope and they don't bother explaining what I'm looking at...  (I'm sure some people here get why it looks off / what a 'good' display should look like, but as someone who only knows HDR 400 means nothing it went straight over my head).  If someone doesn't mind explaining it a bit more...

Overall great video on why certifications often mean nothing!

Edit: OK after referring again I get that RGB vs BGR are just referring to the order of pixels.  I totally didn't get that first watcharound, and 9:58 Linus's description of bluey/orangey on the sides I just don't see.

might have seen the marketing around, but forgot this was even a thing.

"xbox certified" but can it even run it?

I do wish there was regulation on marketing claims for tech, so one doesn't buy known faulty or not up to standard.

And if it was never going to be able to, then at least don't rate it as such and let the market prices adapt instead of trying to increase it with BS.

Also for color, it means the placing can make when looking from afar, be different than what one normally expect, how it present the colors to your eyes.

Spoiler

an RGB color is stored in a structure or unsigned integer with Blue occupying the least significant “area

BGR is the same, except the order of areas is reversed

as for HDR, you need good brightness and darkness, aka sun bright and black as shadows.

So not just a level of brightness, but also able to control it. were as OLED can controll every pixel unlike your typical monitor.

Something mini-LEDs can close the gap with, to make things look more "real".

without, some data will be lost or not used as good, were it could be just better to run in normal mode.

Edited by Quackers101

"Microsoft wants you to have one less excuse for being terrible"

If that doesn't sum up the gaming peripheral industry in general I don't know what does. All the high refresh rate monitors and lightweight mice in the world won't stop me from losing to a 12 year old whose life revolves around whatever game I'm playing.

Also, the prices on these things are ludicrous.

At the end of the video Linus says they've found better Xbox gaming tvs/monitors, is there a video where they go over those displays?

It was kind of weird he mentioned it, then didn't say what they were. And then didn't put the better ones in the price links :(

9 hours ago, swimtome said:

Alex brings a microscope and they don't bother explaining what I'm looking at...  (I'm sure some people here get why it looks off / what a 'good' display should look like, but as someone who only knows HDR 400 means nothing it went straight over my head).  If someone doesn't mind explaining it a bit more...

Overall great video on why certifications often mean nothing!

Edit: OK after referring again I get that RGB vs BGR are just referring to the order of pixels.  I totally didn't get that first watcharound, and 9:58 Linus's description of bluey/orangey on the sides I just don't see.

The picture they show is kind of pointless, because all the pixels are lit. You could just take an RGB screen, take the same picture and flip it on top (that's basically what BGR screens are).

The trouble with BGR (and any other pixel form, shape and structure) is subpixel rendering. Subpixel rendering can increase perceived sharpness but it generally doesn't take the pixel layout into account and just assumes you have square pixels with each colour covering a vertical strip of 1/3 and they are arranged as RGB. But if your blue or red subpixel is on the "wrong" side of the pixel, there will be a gap. This will lead to displaced colouration on the fringes.

Example: white with a diagonal edge to black

RGB:

RGBRGBRGBRGBRGB

RGBRGBRGBRGBRGB

RGBRGBRGBRGBRGB

BGR with RGB subpixel rendering:

BGRBGRBGRBGRBGR

BGRBGRBGRBGRBGR

BGRBGRBGRBGRBGR

2 hours ago, Jaesop said:

how so?

Think about this: Just about anything from a small TV to a dedicated monitor. Is a display. Certified would then be marketing.  'Gamer display' 'game ready' and 'smart' fall into that bucket to. Does the Xbox used some dumb proprietary plug ala oldschool NES and SNES did for a coax port and  RF switch?

If not: MS: desperate for XBox money only by assuring a older person that'll be getting chad and karen lol so let me set up what I think I'm trying to get to:

Kyle and Chad ask Pookie what they want, Pookie says: An XBox! Duuuh. Pookie knows what "xbox" means the Xbox X Omega Supreme with a free clone of Kitty Pryde, as a play friend. But basically His parents don't know that so all I'm thinking is that by  sending amazon or what ever stickers TVs that are a good value, and have both a USB C and HDMI port. Something says: yes this will be fine for your Xbox. lol as long as they can pulls some chips and stuff out of their ass.

Then they don't need to deel with a petlion susans and karens complaining.

52 minutes ago, Gork said:

Think about this: Just about anything from a small TV to a dedicated monitor. Is a display. Certified would then be marketing. 

So your thinking is that because any display would work it means certification doesn't mean anything? Nah, the whole idea is that these displays are able to take advantage of the Series abilities.

54 minutes ago, Gork said:

'Gamer display' 'game ready' and 'smart' fall into that bucket to. Does the Xbox used some dumb proprietary plug ala oldschool NES and SNES did for a coax port and  RF switch?

If not: MS: desperate for XBox money only by assuring a older person that'll be getting chad and karen lol so let me set up what I think I'm trying to get to:

Kyle and Chad ask Pookie what they want, Pookie says: An XBox! Duuuh. Pookie knows what "xbox" means the Xbox X Omega Supreme with a free clone of Kitty Pryde, as a play friend. But basically His parents don't know that so all I'm thinking is that by  sending amazon or what ever stickers TVs that are a good value, and have both a USB C and HDMI port. Something says: yes this will be fine for your Xbox. lol as long as they can pulls some chips and stuff out of their ass.

Then they don't need to deel with a petlion susans and karens complaining.

I don't mean to be rude, but this is pure gibberish dude. What I'm gathering is that you think this is some ploy to get uneducated people to buy these displays when buying an Xbox as a gift? Do people commonly buy someone a whole ass TV when buying them a console?...

12 hours ago, Jaesop said:

So your thinking is that because any display would work it means certification doesn't mean anything? Nah, the whole idea is that these displays are able to take advantage of the Series abilities.

I don't mean to be rude, but this is pure gibberish dude. What I'm gathering is that you think this is some ploy to get uneducated people to buy these displays when buying an Xbox as a gift? Do people commonly buy someone a whole ass TV when buying them a console?...

That to. I meant more that by putting their brand on what ever display. TV or computer monitor. That it's extra assurance it'll work. Believe me I know people like that.  I have to admit that even I like to know that.  What I mean is that while HDMI, USB, or Acme Wonder Adapter should just work with  Acme Wonder Console. I have been surprised when they don't. Concrete example? My last computer despite having a VGA port (and came with an adapter)? the VGA port on the monitor just didn't work with it. No idea why. Weather or not it was drivers, or the hardware somehow. It simply didn't work. Just from pure luck, and possibly good management had ordered a HDMI cable. That did work.

Sufficed to say all I meant was that however MS is doing it.  Having a  'certified to work with' xbox. certificate, or sticker. for displays is going to boost xbox sales. 

Do people commonly buy someone a whole ass TV when buying them a console?.

Oh you would be surprised! Have a TV that gee you've been wanting to replace anyway. well this is a great excuse to get not just a better TV, but also a a console. If thats your thing.

Yes I've been surprised that happens. Look at this forum. Not TVs but whole new MOBO's and what not just to add ray tracing from Acme Wonder Con 4090RTX and scalper markup.. or whole new monitors with a computer. Look at the GD LTT series.  Andy scored a new monitor, and computer!.  

So yes, it is a thing.

4 hours ago, Gork said:

-snip-

Yeah dude I just don't think the logic holds up here. It's a simple way for Microsoft to have displays that people can know will work with all the SX functionality.