Should I exchange this laptop due to backlight bleed?

Go to solution Solved by Light-Yagami,

The clicking sound you hear is probably just coil whine. It happens. It can be bothering, but in my experience, it can go away with bios updates.. my dell xps 9700 had that issue and it got fixed with a bios update this summer.

As for the backlight bleed - yes, it's pretty bad. Definitely worse than average. I think you're definitely under warranty on this one. I'd probably change it. It sucks that you're the one who pulled the short strand.. but it happens.

You could also use a dimmer.exe program, which will additionally dim your backlight in dark room and mitigate some of that bleed. 

Hello,

I recently bought this 2021 Asus Rog Zephyrus G15 from Best Buy and I got it for $1650 on sale. Here is the link to what I got. It has a RTX 3070, Ryzen 9, 16gb of RAM, and 1tb of storage. I noticed this laptop has a minor clicking sound when the fan spins slowly and it has some backlight bleed. I'm new to gaming laptops and never really knew what backlight bleed is until now. I included two pictures, one from inside a game and another from the backlight bleed test. On the backlight bleed test, the large pink spot isn't actually on the monitor, that's just the picture. The bleed is on the bottom right corner and bottom left. Is this really bad or are most other ones going to be worse? Should I exchange it and try to get a better one or is this one not that bad? Thank you.

IMG_0781.jpg

IMG_0777.jpg

The clicking sound you hear is probably just coil whine. It happens. It can be bothering, but in my experience, it can go away with bios updates.. my dell xps 9700 had that issue and it got fixed with a bios update this summer.

As for the backlight bleed - yes, it's pretty bad. Definitely worse than average. I think you're definitely under warranty on this one. I'd probably change it. It sucks that you're the one who pulled the short strand.. but it happens.

You could also use a dimmer.exe program, which will additionally dim your backlight in dark room and mitigate some of that bleed. 

24 minutes ago, Light-Yagami said:

Thank you

1 hour ago, shoutingsteve said:

exchange it.  $1650 is too much to pay for something with that much bleed.

Thanks, that's what I'll do.