Can you reuse drives in a New PC after installing Windows 11?

Zuref

I am wanting to upgrade soon to a new pc and I want to reuse the drives that are in my pc right now in the new one. I was wondering if this is possible with Windows 11 and the tpm 2.0. As I was enabling Intel PTT on my pc it said that 'if the recovery key is lost or when the BIOS ROM chip is replaced, the system will not boot into the operating system and the data will stay encrypted and cannot be restored'. Does this mean if I will not be able to reuse the drives. I am fine with wiping the drives.

Thanks

You can continue to use them in a new PC. If they're encrypted with a key bound to the TPM 2.0 chip you can't read what's on them, but you should always be able to format them again.

Remember to either quote or @mention others, so they are notified of your reply

On 11/5/2021 at 10:12 PM, Zuref said:

As I was enabling Intel PTT on my pc it said that 'if the recovery key is lost or when the BIOS ROM chip is replaced, the system will not boot into the operating system and the data will stay encrypted and cannot be restored'

I think its assuming you will use encryption, except Windows 11 Home still doesn't support BitLocker so the drives are not encrypted (though strangely I found a Microsoft document saying it CAN but its classed as Device Encryption, not sure WHEN its used though, maybe for OEM devices).

It probably will break the OS booting, but would be odd if the drives were unreadable and it certainly should not prevent a clean format.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7