upside down PSU fan keeps going bad

zogthegreat

Hi everyone!

I have an EVGA 750BQ PSU in my desktop. It's old, but mostly rock solid. I say mostly because the silly fan(s) keep going bad. I have the PSU with the fan facing down because it makes cable management easier and I get less dust falling into the PSU. I have had MAJOR road construction outside of my building for the last two years and the city is telling the residents in this area to expect another two or so more years, so this is a genuine problem for me.

I've replaced the fan twice and yesterday, I heard the rattling sound that the previous fans made. I know that the simplest solution is to flip the PSU, but I'm wondering if there are any other options?

Thanks!

zog  

Fans shouldnt go bad being upside down unless its some form of fan that is particularly cheap or prone to failure. What fans are you using as replacements? Are these fans rated to run at the voltages the fan inside the power aupply is running at?

Keep in mind some motors can fail from running voltages lower than their rating.

13 minutes ago, zogthegreat said:

Hi everyone!

I have an EVGA 750BQ PSU in my desktop. It's old, but mostly rock solid. I say mostly because the silly fan(s) keep going bad. I have the PSU with the fan facing down because it makes cable management easier and I get less dust falling into the PSU. I have had MAJOR road construction outside of my building for the last two years and the city is telling the residents in this area to expect another two or so more years, so this is a genuine problem for me.

I've replaced the fan twice and yesterday, I heard the rattling sound that the previous fans made. I know that the simplest solution is to flip the PSU, but I'm wondering if there are any other options?

Thanks!

zog  

You should have just RMA'd it in the first place.

2 hours ago, jonnyGURU said:

You should have just RMA'd it in the first place.

(chuckle) The PSU is about ten years old, so....

I've been ordering replacement fans from China. I take the stock fans numbers and order the same type. The current fan is about 18 months old, the previous fan lasted about 2 - 21/2 yeas.

2 hours ago, Heliian said:

Cheap fans and high heat?  

I don't think that the fan that I got is cheap, but these days you just don't know what your getting. Steve over at GN did a whole series on the manufacturing plants in China and it turns out that 2-3 factories make most of the computer fans out there. Another two or three make the blocks for CPU coolers, another 2 or 3 factories make most of the computer cases in the world. They make them to the specs that they receive from Corsair, Thermaltake, etc, but quality control can be an issue at times.

As far as the heat goes, it's fairly cool by my desk, it 4c outside and my door is open right next to my desk, so heats really not a problem here.

2 hours ago, zogthegreat said:

I didn't recall that they made that PSU that long ago. 

Just replace the PSU. 

6 hours ago, zogthegreat said:

The BQ 750W was only 80+ certified in 2016, so not quite sure how you managed that. The thing has a five year warranty

:)

Contact the city health officials if its that bad. If it kills yours pc inside the house, it will cause nice lung damage to kids living there.

On 11/6/2021 at 1:56 AM, seon123 said:

The BQ 750W was only 80+ certified in 2016, so not quite sure how you managed that. The thing has a five year warranty

@seon123, Thanks for pointing this out... I had to go through my gear and figure out what hardware I'm actually using. I mistook this PSU for my heavily used and abused Corsair TX750W:

947682106_CorsairTX750W.jpg.1d17ede01800849f0d94df89fc4b3f66.jpg

As it turns out, my current PSU was given to me a couple of years back when my son switched to consoles only for gaming.

On 11/6/2021 at 2:16 AM, Jeppes said:

Contact the city health officials if its that bad. If it kills yours pc inside the house, it will cause nice lung damage to kids living there.

@Jeppes  You brought a genuine smile to my face with this. Unless you live in Montreal, people just don't understand! Montreal's road construction is epic. The tourist shops downtown sell little orange construction cones as key chain fobs. Here's a map of current Montreal road construction:

mtl_rue.png.549546856a96f0addec0f2905677c9e3.png

Keep in mind that it is autumn and road construction is actually winding down for the season. The problem is that Montreal's water and and sewage system is over 150 years old in some places and the city was losing about 70% of it's fresh water due to leaking pipes. So, the decision was made to tear up just about every street in the city and replace the old water and sewage pipes. This started three years ago and is expected to last at least another two years. In front of my building, they are also building a section of the cities new REM system. The construction workers have torn up and resurfaced the street at least 4 times, no exaggeration, Every time the repave the street, the residents in this area are hoping the madness is over, and then they tear it up again. Side note, the corruption of the construction industry is also epic in this town... we had three mayors arrested in a row for public corruption linked to city construction projects, so.... yeah.

Having said that, I've lived all over the world and Montreal is the best city that I have had the pleasure of residing in. It's like living in Europe, with the conveniences of North America... i.e. everything doesn't close at noon for lunch!