Since when does PS5 support ceiling speakers?

Plermpel

Hello,

I've often read that ceiling speakers are pointless for Console Gaming and they are only supported for watching movies. But I just realised that they are clearly working in Spiderman Miles Morales. My AVR showes DTS+ Neural X and 7.2.2 sounds awsome in that game.

Are people aware of that? Like I said, I only heared and read so far that it doesn't work.

• 2 weeks later...

Neural X is an upmixer. You can upmix any source in your AVR.

I don't know who said ceiling speakers are useless. Xbox has native Atmos games and PS can still use upmixing.

BTW you should set your PS5 to output PCM so you can get 7.1 audio. With DTS you are only getting 5.1.

• 2 weeks later...

I just tried that but some games seem to output only Stereo if the settings are set to Linear PCM on the PS5

Did you set HDMI device Type to AV Amplifier? And then set Number of Channels to 7.1?

Which games is it not working in? I get 7.1 in everything including the home screen.

Shure everything setup correctly, 7.1 on the homescreen also seems to work.

I believe all games, hard to tell since most games don't show the accual audio configuration and I do get sound

out of every speaker with PCM but only a stereo upmix.

But it is very easy noticable in Astro Bots and Spiderman, that DTS and Dolby is a much more "surrounding" audio experience than PCM.

You should absolutely be getting 7.1 PCM in those games.

What kind of AVR do you have? Is the PS5 plugged in directly to AVR or are you going thru a TV? What does your AVR display for the audio signal?

PS5 is on the PC and AVR is on ARC HI port on the TV I have a Marantz AV7703.

Can't connect it directly since the AVR lacks HDMI 2.1

Edit.: Maybe it's due to the HDMI 2.0 connection, since normal ARC doesn't support uncompressed surround sound.

Yeah if you are going thru the TV then you need eARC which your AVR doesn't have. 

It would probably work if you plug directly to AVR but it's probably easier for you to stick with DTS.

May not be a distinct audio channel, but additional speakers are usually never a bad thing.

Not sure where you would of read that.  Even the PS2 supported surround sound and Dolby.

On 11/5/2021 at 1:34 PM, Plermpel said:

Hello,

I've often read that ceiling speakers are pointless for Console Gaming and they are only supported for watching movies. But I just realised that they are clearly working in Spiderman Miles Morales. My AVR showes DTS+ Neural X and 7.2.2 sounds awsome in that game.

Are people aware of that? Like I said, I only heared and read so far that it doesn't work.

Slayerking92

<Type something witty here>
<Link to some pcpartpicker fantasy build and claim as my own>

Would be the first I've heard of 7.1.x support for any console.  Granted, I'm outside the loop on planet consoles...but afaik (from the last time I checked) speakers in the X.Y.Z format were only supported X.Y.  Z. was not even a consideration.

2 hours ago, IPD said:

Would be the first I've heard of 7.1.x support for any console.  Granted, I'm outside the loop on planet consoles...but afaik (from the last time I checked) speakers in the X.Y.Z format were only supported X.Y.  Z. was not even a consideration.

You are indeed out of the loop. As I mentioned Xbox has native Atmos games. And ANY audio source can always be upmixed to use all your speakers which is what OP is doing with PS5.

Not disagreeing with using all your speakers.  As I said DISTINCT AUDIO CHANNEL on any given speaker--that's not something I'm aware of consoles supporting for CEILING LEVEL speakers in addition to standard-level speakers.  That would require 11 distinct channels of audio (not just copied signal from another speaker), just for 5.1.5.

Support for 7.1.0?  sure.  Support for 7.1.7 (i.e. 15 distinct audio channels)....maybe not in this lifetime.

p.s.

"upmixing" is what i read as "duophonic" or "quadraphonic".  Games would have to natively be programmed with audio channels for 2 distinct heights of speakers--or else no audio engine/receiver would be able to correctly "guess" where any given sound should be coming from.  Best you could hope for would be to put music/ambience at ceiling level, and SFX and voices at floor level (for example).  Each piece of sound output would have to be coded on the programmer's side to be labeled for which of 11+ different channels it should be output from.

4 hours ago, IPD said:

Not disagreeing with using all your speakers.  As I said DISTINCT AUDIO CHANNEL on any given speaker--that's not something I'm aware of consoles supporting for CEILING LEVEL speakers in addition to standard-level speakers.  That would require 11 distinct channels of audio (not just copied signal from another speaker), just for 5.1.5.

Support for 7.1.0?  sure.  Support for 7.1.7 (i.e. 15 distinct audio channels)....maybe not in this lifetime.

p.s.

"upmixing" is what i read as "duophonic" or "quadraphonic".  Games would have to natively be programmed with audio channels for 2 distinct heights of speakers--or else no audio engine/receiver would be able to correctly "guess" where any given sound should be coming from.  Best you could hope for would be to put music/ambience at ceiling level, and SFX and voices at floor level (for example).  Each piece of sound output would have to be coded on the programmer's side to be labeled for which of 11+ different channels it should be output from.

Do you know what Dolby Atmos is?

And please quote someone when you reply.

9 hours ago, dilpickle said:

Do you know what Dolby Atmos is?

And please quote someone when you reply.

Please explain how ATMOS is going to separate audio feeds that were never separated at the source--into distinct, location specific, directional audio outputs in 3 dimensional space.

"Support" and "actually available titles" are two different things.  It's like that marketing gimmick of how a display will "support" some type of resolution or something--but it's not native and only runs interlaced.

What I'm driving at here is that output will play through all speakers; but the feed is at best still planar--for the vast majority of games.  Developers have been taking shortcuts with their gaming products (CoD is one of the worst), and I have yet to see game development tailored with this kind of detail level in mind.  Audio has (in my experience) been an afterthought in game development--especially for consoles--given the market it is tailored for.  You're asking of people who cannot justify a proper gaming PC--to spend additional outlay for a non-planar sound-system (and all the logistics of implementing it).  Just spitballing here, but that seems like a fractional percentage of the console gaming market.

Then you add to that niche products like this:

https://www.amazon.com/VIZIO-SB46514-F6-Wireless-Subwoofer-Surround/dp/B07GTQWMYQ

This is  ATMOS, and calibration will help alleviate sound delays, but you're still getting wavelengths to your ear indirectly (the .4 channels are bouncing off of something first).  That means that you are getting signal attenuation prior to hearing it.  And we're already in the price-range of buying a second PS5 (without scalpers).  And it's this is a soundbar & fills; it's not even a genuine 5.1.4 that would have to be mounted at ceiling level.  Now I get that there's some who prefer the "bounce", but I'm personally of the opinion that redirected sound means that directional accuracy is compromised a bit by every time the signal is redirected.

---

So again.  Is it more likely that console games are actually providing genuine, 10 channel signals that are individually distinct; location appropriate for the levels/environment; etc.....

OR

Is it more likely that they just say "ATMOS Supported" and pump out their existing planar surround-sound through additional speakers

1 hour ago, IPD said:

Please explain how ATMOS is going to separate audio feeds that were never separated at the source--into distinct, location specific, directional audio outputs in 3 dimensional space.

"Support" and "actually available titles" are two different things.  It's like that marketing gimmick of how a display will "support" some type of resolution or something--but it's not native and only runs interlaced.

What I'm driving at here is that output will play through all speakers; but the feed is at best still planar--for the vast majority of games.  Developers have been taking shortcuts with their gaming products (CoD is one of the worst), and I have yet to see game development tailored with this kind of detail level in mind.  Audio has (in my experience) been an afterthought in game development--especially for consoles--given the market it is tailored for.  You're asking of people who cannot justify a proper gaming PC--to spend additional outlay for a non-planar sound-system (and all the logistics of implementing it).  Just spitballing here, but that seems like a fractional percentage of the console gaming market.

Then you add to that niche products like this:

https://www.amazon.com/VIZIO-SB46514-F6-Wireless-Subwoofer-Surround/dp/B07GTQWMYQ

This is  ATMOS, and calibration will help alleviate sound delays, but you're still getting wavelengths to your ear indirectly (the .4 channels are bouncing off of something first).  That means that you are getting signal attenuation prior to hearing it.  And we're already in the price-range of buying a second PS5 (without scalpers).  And it's this is a soundbar & fills; it's not even a genuine 5.1.4 that would have to be mounted at ceiling level.  Now I get that there's some who prefer the "bounce", but I'm personally of the opinion that redirected sound means that directional accuracy is compromised a bit by every time the signal is redirected.

---

So again.  Is it more likely that console games are actually providing genuine, 10 channel signals that are individually distinct; location appropriate for the levels/environment; etc.....

OR

Is it more likely that they just say "ATMOS Supported" and pump out their existing planar surround-sound through additional speakers

As you said you are out of the loop and I have no desire to try to educate you. Do some research.