BLOAT is killing your FPS

CPotter
1 hour ago, Ziaber said:

By Bloat is this "open bloat" I have a lot on my PC but I make sure nothing runs on startup etc however I still have close to 100 background Processes. how do you know what you need and what you don't.

For example Grove music, EA background Service and Xbox among other are all there yet I purposely make sure nothing boots unless I tell it to on startup? 

Installed is fine, running as a background service is not.

It's time consuming but turn off services one at a time (or set them to Manual) and see if anything breaks. If it doesn't leave it off, if it does, turn it back on again.

Or post them as a question on the forum, and we'll help you figure it out.

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

On 11/2/2021 at 7:18 PM, Luscious said:

Bloatware is only going to be killing FPS if you're on a system that's already dragging it's ass like a tired dog LOL

For many many years I had to do exactly this because my $3000 quad core gaming laptop maxxed out at 4GB RAM thanks to a "chipset limitation" - a stroke of brilliance by Intel that DOESN'T get any sympathy from me. I genuinely hope whoever green-lit that move had his ass handed over on a platter.

So for my next gaming build I went MAXIMUM OVERKILL - 8C/16T, 32GB RAM, quad SLI. And it doesn't just work but it works AMAZING. Newer drivers and the fact that I am still on Windows 7 have nerfed only a few of the original features, but being that this 2015 build is now pushing SIX YEARS old it still DOESN'T FEEL SLOW. Even as I type this I have 188 processes running with 15 GB RAM in use and my CPU at 31% - everything is snappy and quick. I can even game and fold at the same time thanks to those multiple water cooled GPU's. This system wasn't cheap at all ($12K in 2015 money) but based on how it is running currently I am giving it four more years before a replacement, and that doesn't mean that it will be dead at that point and end up in a landfill. Plenty of the components will still be salvageable, others can be resold or donated used, and a good chunk of that investment (fans/rads/case/PSU etc...) goes into the new build.

By that same argument if I was building today I would not even consider anything below 12C and less than 32GB RAM. There will ALWAYS be background tasks competing for resources - why tear your hair out trying to juggle/choke them when the smarter solution is just to throw more performance at the problem and "fine tune" how they run on your OS instead :old-smile:

Sure, I've used the services tool to manually disable stuff that was either annoying or I simply didn't want, same with REGEDIT and the custom boot script option in Windows. Mostly because some stuff simply misbehaves or thinks it's more important than it is. The big difference here is on an adequately built system you won't have to go to those crazy levels of mad tinkering to make sure that things "just work". It's also not a bad idea to plan ahead with your initial hardware purchase for things you will want to do 2-3 years down the road.

Drool. sometime show that bad boy off!  did you use RGB stuff? or is that not your thing. And how the hell are you still using Windows 7?  I can't imagine the driver issues. I sooo agree with your spec ideas! gota get that RGB though! 😛

On 11/2/2021 at 11:55 AM, Fabinho said:

The Linus team is absolutely outdated, alienated and out of touch with gaming. They should use heavier and poorly optimized titles to do benchmarks.
Like Warzone, instead of 20 year old games like CS GO. If can't run Cs go with at least 150 fps, you should buy a machine that isn't 10 years old.

YES YES YES YES YES YES., or my favorite: big dick numbers from. Rocket league!  I dare them to try to get big dick numbers from CP77.

3 minutes ago, Gork said:

Drool. sometime show that bad boy off!  did you use RGB stuff? or is that not your thing. And how the hell are you still using Windows 7?  I can't imagine the driver issues. I sooo agree with your spec ideas! gota get that RGB though! 😛

Funny you should mention RGB - I have one of those aftermarket solutions with the handheld remote since my mobo (R5E) is from the pre-RGB days. One huge benefit to that though is no software overhead. Also, rather than use RGB fans I use those RGB fan shrouds with non-RGB static optimized fans. I do have icue running, but only because I use the LCD accessory for their K95 keyboard to monitor load/temps and keep a clock visible at all times. I pretty much stuck with Win 7 because I did not like 8/8.1 and the fact that many drivers did not play well. The need to do remote desktop with other Win 7 machines was another reason, same with network file sharing and one particular piece of audio software I use, that again goes back to drivers. It's a long and complicated story.

I wish I could post pics but I never had time to take any because I was busy with other things both during and after the build. I took a bunch of pictures through the build process to kind of show a build log but didn't really get to a finished one. I also changed out some of the stuff after those pics were taken so the fans and RGB are different from the photos. Heck, I may even upgrade again to addressable RGB once what I have running now decides to kick the bucket.

Here are some examples I can show. Not my best work but you should have an idea of the finished build:

IMG_0461.JPG

IMG_0639.JPG

IMG_0710.JPG

IMG_0720.JPG

IMG_1709.JPG

IMG_1710.JPG

IMG_1712.JPG

IMG_1885.JPG

IMG_1886.JPG

IMG_1888.JPG

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/3/2021 at 1:39 PM, Stahlmann said:

We're talking about a couple of percentage points.

I hope people dont care too much about that.. I couldnt give two shits if windows malware control software analyzer program is running the background eating 3fps from a game i have 300 or 200 fps in xD

Useful threads: PSU Tier List | Motherboard Tier List | Graphics Card Cooling Tier List ❤️

Baby: MPG X570 GAMING PLUS | AMD Ryzen 9 5900x /w PBO | Corsair H150i Pro RGB | ASRock RX 7900 XTX Phantom Gaming OC (3020Mhz & 2650Memory) | Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO 32GB DDR4 (4x8GB) 3600 MHz | Corsair RM1000x |  WD_BLACK SN850 | WD_BLACK SN750 | Samsung EVO 850 | Kingston A400 |  PNY CS900 | Lian Li O11 Dynamic White | Display(s): Samsung Oddesy G7, ASUS TUF GAMING VG27AQZ 27" & MSI G274F

I also drive a volvo as one does being norwegian haha, a volvo v70 d3 from 2016.

Reliability was a key thing and its my second car, working pretty well for its 6 years age xD