BLOAT is killing your FPS

CPotter

Hey guys, do You use winaero tweaker or debloater from github? What's better?

(@7:01) Math: 7:23 minus 7:15 = 14 seconds 🤔

Would have liked to see stock without the winaero tweaker.  Also a super worst case scenario one with multiple virus protections, updates running, downloads running.

@CPotter by 'multiple pieces of security software' was it just malwarebytes?

The Linus team is absolutely outdated, alienated and out of touch with gaming. They should use heavier and poorly optimized titles to do benchmarks.
Like Warzone, instead of 20 year old games like CS GO. If can't run Cs go with at least 150 fps, you should buy a machine that isn't 10 years old.

@Fabinho

It's not about what's cool, but what tests the performance difference best.

For instance Super Pi is also very outdated, yet as a benchmark it still is informal. At least for single core, that's still relevant,.

I edit my posts more often than not

This is more of a "stripped vs dirty" than a "clean vs dirty" hence the inability to sort the FPS on the dirty one.  Great video though 🙂

yes, the bloat that stays in the background even if you want to close it. thanks!

It makes one feel dirty for just having those applications installed.

So I have install winaero tweaker. What exactly do I disable to get more performance? Still little confused.

Imagine removing the software instead of just suspending the existing processes

Anyway, I completely agree with the top youtube comic:

image.png.080df36ada9ee980192037ce3833240e.png

Sure this is BEST CASE. Only a 5% difference but having dealt with people in far worse circumstances, it would have been a better comparison.

PLEASE QUOTE ME IF YOU ARE REPLYING TO ME

Desktop Build: Ryzen 7 2700X @ 4.0GHz, AsRock Fatal1ty X370 Professional Gaming, 48GB Corsair DDR4 @ 3000MHz, RX5700 XT 8GB Sapphire Nitro+, Benq XL2730 1440p 144Hz FS

Retro Build: Intel Pentium III @ 500 MHz, Dell Optiplex G1 Full AT Tower, 768MB SDRAM @ 133MHz, Integrated Graphics, Generic 1024x768 60Hz Monitor

Laughs with 64GB RAM (yeah, it's ECC Registered DDR3, it's a workstation...)

I feel your premise is invalid however, as you started with a bloated mess of an OS to begin with. This test can be made much more interesting (and complex) by doing the following:

Windows 10 home vs pro (clean vs dirty)

Windows 10 pro vs LTSC (ditto)

Windows 10 vs *nix (since you are playing games under Steam) (clean vs dirty vs bare vs loaded)

Windows 10 vs Windows 9/8/7 (since you are running old games which still should be supported under the older OSes) 

If gaming performance is the ultimate goal here, rolling your own Windows install IS possible (albeit time consuming) for a truly stripped down no bloat anywhere to be seen experience.

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

I think I'll keep my RGB software on to have nice RGB lighting than to close it just to gain 2-3% fps.

I have ASD (Autism Spectrum Disorder). More info: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Autism_spectrum

I apologies if my comments or post offends you in any way, or if my rage got a little too far. I'll try my best to make my post as non-offensive as much as possible.

Bloatware is only going to be killing FPS if you're on a system that's already dragging it's ass like a tired dog LOL

For many many years I had to do exactly this because my $3000 quad core gaming laptop maxxed out at 4GB RAM thanks to a "chipset limitation" - a stroke of brilliance by Intel that DOESN'T get any sympathy from me. I genuinely hope whoever green-lit that move had his ass handed over on a platter.

So for my next gaming build I went MAXIMUM OVERKILL - 8C/16T, 32GB RAM, quad SLI. And it doesn't just work but it works AMAZING. Newer drivers and the fact that I am still on Windows 7 have nerfed only a few of the original features, but being that this 2015 build is now pushing SIX YEARS old it still DOESN'T FEEL SLOW. Even as I type this I have 188 processes running with 15 GB RAM in use and my CPU at 31% - everything is snappy and quick. I can even game and fold at the same time thanks to those multiple water cooled GPU's. This system wasn't cheap at all ($12K in 2015 money) but based on how it is running currently I am giving it four more years before a replacement, and that doesn't mean that it will be dead at that point and end up in a landfill. Plenty of the components will still be salvageable, others can be resold or donated used, and a good chunk of that investment (fans/rads/case/PSU etc...) goes into the new build.

By that same argument if I was building today I would not even consider anything below 12C and less than 32GB RAM. There will ALWAYS be background tasks competing for resources - why tear your hair out trying to juggle/choke them when the smarter solution is just to throw more performance at the problem and "fine tune" how they run on your OS instead :old-smile:

Sure, I've used the services tool to manually disable stuff that was either annoying or I simply didn't want, same with REGEDIT and the custom boot script option in Windows. Mostly because some stuff simply misbehaves or thinks it's more important than it is. The big difference here is on an adequately built system you won't have to go to those crazy levels of mad tinkering to make sure that things "just work". It's also not a bad idea to plan ahead with your initial hardware purchase for things you will want to do 2-3 years down the road.

I am surprised they only had 1 RGB software going for their tests since most systems with even just a moderate amount of RGB seem to require at least 2 pieces of software running to control everything. And last year or 2 years ago Gamers Nexus found that running more then just 1 piece of RGB software had significant negative impact on system performance with FPS fluctuating a lot more in games. 

They also didnt have any of the bloatware that companies typically push with their motherboards and graphics cards. IMO companies try and make it look like these pieces of software are required and they always seem to place them next to downloads for drives. This type of software also seems to push to have it start on start up and have it always running in the background.

1 hour ago, Chiyawa said:

I think I'll keep my RGB software on to have nice RGB lighting than to close it just to gain 2-3% fps.

From the tests that Gamers Nexus did with RGB software awhile ago the impact is low if you have just piece of software going but it gets significant if you have more then 1 going.

I feel like this video didn't really show the true extent to which bloat can affect your performance.

More often than not you won't see noticeable frame loss by having a bunch of garbage open you will however see micro-stutters when a software running in the background decides to do an operation in the middle of your game.

It's not something you can really benchmark because most benchmarking software won't pick up on micro-stutters and its not something you can notice by just playing for a minute or two. 

Also most people experiencing issues with bloat being installed on their computer aren't exactly running 3080s with 11770ks they're running older hardware.

10 hours ago, Fabinho said:

The Linus team is absolutely outdated, alienated and out of touch with gaming. They should use heavier and poorly optimized titles to do benchmarks.
Like Warzone, instead of 20 year old games like CS GO. If can't run Cs go with at least 150 fps, you should buy a machine that isn't 10 years old.

The orignal Counter strike is 21 years old 🙂

Csgo is not 20 years old

The only reason to stop benching a game is if it stops scaling up on bigger hardware

nothings wrong with a massive framerate if its just a benchmark

1 minute ago, CoolJosh3k said:

How much better would various Linux distros do against “clean” Windows?

I think in Ram usage it would def go to Linux

But in terms of gaming Performance i think it would more often then not swing to Windows

5 hours ago, IsaacisWeeb said:

But in terms of gaming Performance i think it would more often then not swing to Windows

This would depend, I think, on which driver is used for the GPU.

The open source nVidia one, is terrible, much better to use the nVidia supplied one.

Can't speak for the AMD side, however. No experience.

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

Not much garbage on my desktop 🙂

1784445633_2021-11-03(2).thumb.png.307ff2b18fcacadc3cb4b8207d3e4494.png

Useful threads: PSU Tier List | Motherboard Tier List | Graphics Card Cooling Tier List ❤️

Baby: MPG X570 GAMING PLUS | AMD Ryzen 9 5900x /w PBO | Corsair H150i Pro RGB | ASRock RX 7900 XTX Phantom Gaming OC (3020Mhz & 2650Memory) | Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO 32GB DDR4 (4x8GB) 3600 MHz | Corsair RM1000x |  WD_BLACK SN850 | WD_BLACK SN750 | Samsung EVO 850 | Kingston A400 |  PNY CS900 | Lian Li O11 Dynamic White | Display(s): Samsung Oddesy G7, ASUS TUF GAMING VG27AQZ 27" & MSI G274F

I also drive a volvo as one does being norwegian haha, a volvo v70 d3 from 2016.

Reliability was a key thing and its my second car, working pretty well for its 6 years age xD

12 hours ago, Radium_Angel said:

If gaming performance is the ultimate goal here, rolling your own Windows install IS possible (albeit time consuming) for a truly stripped down no bloat anywhere to be seen experience.

We're talking about a couple of percentage points. That's a lot of work to get 3 more fps in some games that rund at 60, or 20 fps in games that already run at 150.

Just remember to always use the advanced setup when installing any software and uncheck all the bullshit it comes with. It's not hard to keep a system clean. Not pressing yes or ok in every popup is a good start.

A little bit of care when choosing your components can also help. This way you don't need 5 different apps to control all your RGB, fans, etc...

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

35 minutes ago, Stahlmann said:

We're talking about a couple of percentage points.

Sure, but to some people, that's important. Look around this forum for example, it's filled with people moaning that their system "only" gets 300 FPS in CS:GO when they feel it should be getting 300000000+ FPS.

I'm simply pointing out the logical (or absurdist) conclusion that is FPS gains, no matter how tiny, is critical to you, then this video doesn't present all you can do to achieve said gains. 

is bloat lowering your fps: yes

5% idle cpu usage = 5% performance lost to bloat (assuming cpu bottleneck)

how do you fix it: buy a new "clean" copy of windows

that's the tldr of this video

░█▀▀█ ▒█░░░ ▒█▀▀▄ ▒█▀▀▀ ▒█▀▀█   ▒█░░░ ░█▀▀█ ▒█░▄▀ ▒█▀▀▀ 
▒█▄▄█ ▒█░░░ ▒█░▒█ ▒█▀▀▀ ▒█▄▄▀   ▒█░░░ ▒█▄▄█ ▒█▀▄░ ▒█▀▀▀ 
▒█░▒█ ▒█▄▄█ ▒█▄▄▀ ▒█▄▄▄ ▒█░▒█   ▒█▄▄█ ▒█░▒█ ▒█░▒█ ▒█▄▄▄

By Bloat is this "open bloat" I have a lot on my PC but I make sure nothing runs on startup etc however I still have close to 100 background Processes. how do you know what you need and what you don't.

For example Grove music, EA background Service and Xbox among other are all there yet I purposely make sure nothing boots unless I tell it to on startup?