R9 290 on 500W Seasonic S12III

Meganesta

Can i run

Atholn 3000G

r9 290/ r9 290x/ Gtx 780

16 gb ram

with this PSU https://seasonic.com/s12iii

I know its kind of dumb to pair athlon with this kind of GPU but oh well these are only GPU available in this time at normal price ($150) in my place

9 minutes ago, Meganesta said:

Can i run

Atholn 3000G

r9 290/ r9 290x/ Gtx 780

16 gb ram

with this PSU https://seasonic.com/s12iii

I know its kind of dumb to pair athlon with this kind of GPU but oh well these are only GPU available in this time at normal price ($150) in my place

Do you already have that PSU?

CPU: i7-2600K 4751MHz 1.44V (software) --> 1.47V at the back of the socket Motherboard: Asrock Z77 Extreme4 (BCLK: 103.3MHz) CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 RAM: Adata XPG 2x8GB DDR3 (XMP: 2133MHz 10-11-11-30 CR2, custom: 2203MHz 10-11-10-26 CR1 tRFC:230 tREFI:14000) GPU: Asus GTX 1070 Dual (Super Jetstream vbios, +70(2025-2088MHz)/+400(8.8Gbps)) SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB (main boot drive), Transcend SSD370 128GB PSU: Seasonic X-660 80+ Gold Case: Antec P110 Silent, 5 intakes 1 exhaust Monitor: AOC G2460PF 1080p 144Hz (150Hz max w/ DP, 121Hz max w/ HDMI) TN panel Keyboard: Logitech G610 Orion (Cherry MX Blue) with SteelSeries Apex M260 keycaps Mouse: BenQ Zowie FK1

Model: HP Omen 17 17-an110ca CPU: i7-8750H (0.125V core & cache, 50mV SA undervolt) GPU: GTX 1060 6GB Mobile (+80/+450, 1650MHz~1750MHz 0.78V~0.85V) RAM: 8+8GB DDR4-2400 18-17-17-39 2T Storage: HP EX920 1TB PCIe x4 M.2 SSD + Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA SSD, 128GB Toshiba PCIe x2 M.2 SSD (KBG30ZMV128G) gone cooking externally, 1TB Seagate 7200RPM 2.5" HDD (ST1000LM049-2GH172) left outside Monitor: 1080p 126Hz IPS G-sync

Desktop benching:

Cinebench R15 Single thread:168 Multi-thread: 833 

SuperPi (v1.5 from Techpowerup, PI value output) 16K: 0.100s 1M: 8.255s 32M: 7m 45.93s

11 minutes ago, IIIIIIIIII said:

Do you already have that PSU?

yes i already use the PSU i plan on ADD the said GPU because well Vega 3 cant do much for my work

4 minutes ago, Meganesta said:

yes i already use the PSU i plan on ADD the said GPU because well Vega 3 cant do much for my work

26 minutes ago, Meganesta said:

r9 290/ r9 290x/ Gtx 780

It's possible, but it's better to use a better PSU. Those GPUs are pretty heavy.

Yeah you can run that.

The 3000g will consume maybe 40w or so, the motherboard around 10w, the ram around 5w , from 12v 

r9 290 will consume up to around 250w, 290x around 285w  gtx 780 around 230w from 12v

The design is old but components are solid inside and the power supply can provide the watts on 12v you'd need for such a system.

You could do better (ex something gold efficiency or fully modular for a few euro/dollars more) but if you're in a region where this is what you can buy it's a safe power supply to buy.

I'd recommend going for a RX 470 / RX 480 / RX 570 / RX 580  if you can. It will last you for a much longer time as the Polaris architecture is in consoles so game engines will support it and games will most likely continue to support these cards for some time.

The RX 570 cards consume up to around 175w and the RX 580 cards go to around 225w so they're also less power hungry.

There is a few selection to upgrade my PSU to higher wattage the list is

CORSAIR CS650M

Psu thermaltake 80+ white TR2 S 600w

1STPLAYER Gaming PSU DK6.0 600W Full Modular - PS-600AX(BM)

9 minutes ago, Meganesta said:

CORSAIR CS650M

It's old but probably better than S12III. Is it new or used?

10 minutes ago, Meganesta said:

thermaltake 80+ white TR2 S 600w

Junk

11 minutes ago, Meganesta said:

1STPLAYER Gaming PSU DK6.0 600W Full Modular - PS-600AX(BM)

Junk

Don't bother upgrading the power supply.. you don't need more wattage , your pc with whatever video card you're gonna get won't consume more than around 400-450w on the 12v output. So even a 550w psu from a reputable manufacturer would be plenty.

The S12iii is better than thermaltake TR2, probably better than that 1stplayer and maybe a bit below the corsair psu but not worth upgrading to it.

They're dissing the power supply because it's a refresh of an older design, with fewer protections compared to newer power supplies, and at a somewhat high price because of the brand (Seasonic) and high warranty. If you were to buy a new power supply today you could do better with same amount of money, get a model with higher efficiency and so on..

But as a power supply it's solid, it can deliver the watts it says on the label, it can power the components, no need to upgrade the psu.

4 minutes ago, --SID-- said:

It's old but probably better than S12III. Is it new or used?

Used with a price about 50$

9 hours ago, Caroline said:

What's the wattage? those come in 450, 550 and 750W I believe

500 W

3 minutes ago, Juular said:

Lol no.

Not S12II, S12III, this abomination : https://www.f14lab.org/2019/05/review-seasonic-s12iii-500550650.html?m=1

Again, it's hardly an abomination. 

I see a perfectly working power supply, within specs, that passed all tests, assembled well (threadlocker on screws, selastic on tall components to lock them in place and reduce vibrations, they even spent money on a mechanical relay to disable the ntc / inrush current limiter, movs , good AC filtering), and it even manages to reach almost 88% efficiency at around 50% load, while it only needed 85% and it does 86% at 20% when it only needed to reach 82%. Also appreciate the use of electrolytics from a single brand which has good reputation and the use of 105c electrolytic on the primary cap while other brands use 85c rated capacitors there to save money.

If there's anything to complain is maybe the fan which could be better (better than regular sleeve bearing) and a bit better ripple on the output (the 500w model peaks at 60mV at 100% on 12v but it's around 40mV at 50% load) and if you want to be anal about it, it could have done with a bit more attention to removing the flux residue after soldering, but flux residue doesn't cause any danger to the power supply and it's just a visual imperfection (majority of people buying it won't open the insides to look under the circuit board to see flux residue) 

CS650M for example is more efficient, up to around 92%, but uses electrolytic capacitors from multiple brands (I guess depending on what's available that day.. for example the Techpowerup review shows some Elite capacitors used, and capacitors from several series from Teapo, and there's 85c rated primary capacitors to save money) ... It does have dc-dc converters for 5v and 3.3v but those are less important in budget computers which barely use those voltages and are heavy on cpu and video cards which use 12v.

The quality of the outputs is not any better ... it still does around 60mV at 100%, around 35-40mV at 50%, 20mV at 20% ... similar to Seasonic. The 5v and 3.3v are cleaner due to dc-dc converter, but it doesn't really matter.

It's not worth the $50 to upgrade his power supply ... better put that $50 on a more modern video card with lower power consumption ex a 175w RX 570 instead of a 280w 290x 

43 minutes ago, mariushm said:

The 5v and 3.3v are cleaner due to dc-dc converter, but it doesn't really matter.

You what? It absolutely does matter when one unit is extremely poorly regulated due to no DC-DC and has very dysfunctional protections.

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

^-^

52 minutes ago, mariushm said:

that passed all tests

All tests @f14performed at the time.

52 minutes ago, mariushm said:

flux residue doesn't cause any danger to the power supply and it's just a visual imperfection

Wrong, especially in power applications. But that's not the main flaw, it's this :

image.png.574f16be79f3890ca8aa213d8cd53f73.png

OCP is required by ATX specification, yet this unit lacks it on any rails (usually it's omitted on 12V rails with budget units but not all). Although the version of ATX spec this unit is supposed to comply with is nowhere to be found neither on box art, label or manufacturer page. Just pathetic for a unit released in 2019 by a supposedly 'respectable' brand. F14 didn't test OCP at the time sadly, and there are no other reviews with protection tests on this unit, but since the supervisor lacks this capability and the design doesn't utilize DC-DC converters which usually have OCP on their own, this unit doesn't have any means of implementing it. Aris Mpitzopoulos have tested this unit and probably knows whether it does actually have OCP somehow or not but he doesn't want to answer to not undermine his relations with Seasonic, although the word is, the unit blew up.

Tag or quote me so i see your reply

On 11/2/2021 at 6:17 PM, f14 said:

I think I need re test all PSUs reviewed in the pass I still have in my warehouse 😄

what did you actually said on that review? i mean i tried to translate it to english (conclusion one) and its really not abomination at all

On 11/2/2021 at 2:06 PM, mariushm said:

's not worth the $50 to upgrade his power supply ... better put that $50 on a more modern video card with lower power consumption ex a 175w RX 570

and its not true, wheter you believe or not rx 570 cost $350 here, its absolutly insane, even 1050 ti too close 350$ price too.

33 minutes ago, Meganesta said:

what did you actually said on that review? i mean i tried to translate it to english (conclusion one) and its really not abomination at all

Yes. all test in this time a pass ( ATX specs) but two years ago I didn't make a transient an protections test. and now I try to test (transient+protections) again

4 minutes ago, f14 said:

Yes. all test in this time a pass ( ATX specs) but two years ago I didn't make a transient an protections test. and now I try to test (transient+protections) again

so it is safe to actually use that psu for 780 or 290