Sony WF-1000XM4 with iPhone

Mr.Humble

Hello there!

I'm considering retiring my beloved NuForce EDC3s for a true wireless pair and I'm deciding between the WF-1000XM4 and a potential Airpods Pro 2 later next year hopefully.

Is there anyone using the Sonys with an iPhone? How is the experience? Do the things like battery indicator work okay or are they locked out?

How is the tuning? I'm mostly into "neutral" tuned earphones - no bass increase or stuff like that.

Thanks!

Quote and/or tag people using @ otherwise they don't get notified of your response!

The HUMBLE Computer:

AMD Ryzen 7 3700X • Noctua NH-U12A • ASUS STRIX X570-F • Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 3200MHz CL16 • GIGABYTE Nvidia GTX1080 G1 • FRACTAL DESIGN Define C w/ blue Meshify C front • Corsair RM750x (2018) • OS: Kingston KC2000 1TB GAMES: Intel 660p 1TB DATA: Seagate Desktop 2TB • Acer Predator X34P 34" 3440x1440p 120 Hz IPS curved Ultrawide • Corsair STRAFE RGB Cherry MX Brown • Logitech G502 HERO / Logitech MX Master 3

Notebook:  HP Spectre x360 13" late 2018

Core i7 8550U • 16GB DDR3 RAM • 512GB NVMe SSD • 13" 1920x1080p 120 Hz IPS touchscreen • dual Thunderbolt 3

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=diMlMkrwsKQ

This CNET review pretty much compares everything between the two. It's hard to get an anecdote from people because they'd have to at least maybe tried both. TLDW: Apple on apple devices work more smoothly obviously. There is a whole ldac vs aac on iphone debate, but most cases they seem to be very similar. Is apple nerfing other headphones for preference for their own, absolutely, even if it might be subtle, There's only so much you can cram pack into small earbuds before software has to take over and just general fit and features.

I tried both before settling on the AirPods Pro. If you want accuracy/neutrality, they’re the obvious choice. The Sony model is fun to listen to in its own way but they’re anything but neutral or accurate.

AirPods Pro are also waaaaay more comfortable due to the vents that let your ears breathe and prevent the air cabin effect with ANC.

MacBook Pro 16 i9-9980HK - Radeon Pro 5500m 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 2TB NVME

iPhone 12 Mini / Sony WH-1000XM4 / Bose Companion 20