SSD speed is very slow

cuongmn05

Hi guys, I just bought a Crucial M500 240gb today. I know that I wouldn't get the speed advertised (500 read, 250 write) but the speed that I tested is way below that (262 read, 210 write using Crystal drisk mark).

What worries me is that all the review that I read usually got above 400 read speed. I'm pretty sure my Mainboard support SATA 3 6Gb/s.

Is there any thing wrong with my SSD guys, thanks.

Also, sorry for my English.

what's your motehrboard?

what's your motehrboard?

It's MSI z87 gd65

Might be using the wrong port that makes it bottleneck?

Please be more specific I'm new to this stuff. I plugged ssd to port 4, hdd port 1, dvd port 3

Please be more specific I'm new to this stuff. I plugged ssd to port 4, hdd port 1, dvd port 3

What color was the SATA port?

"If you do not take your failures seriously you will continue to fail"

plug the SSD in port one or 2, that should fix it

Intel 3570k 3,4@4,5 1,12v Scythe Mugen 3 gigabyte 770     MSi z77a GD55    corsair vengeance 8 gb  corsair CX600M Bitfenix Outlaw 4 casefans

all the ports on thatr board are sata 3 6Gb/s so it's not to do with the port... try to go into the bios and see in what mode the sata ports are

What color was the SATA port?

All are black

plug the SSD in port one or 2, that should fix it

I'll try it thanks

There are usually two different controllers on motherboards for sata ports. The last two are usually a different, slower controller. Just plug all your drives into the first ports and your peripherals(dvd. etc.) into the last ports and make sure AHCI mode is enabled in the bios. Problem should be solved.

Yes it does, even though they are all advertised the same speed there's usually different controllers for some of the ports. These controllers operate at slower speeds.

My Rig :  Case: Cooler Master HAF X ,Motherboard: Gigabyte Z87X-UD3H,PSU: Seasonic SS-750KM3,Processor: Core I7 4770k (overclocked 4.7ghz),Cooler: Corsair H100i, GPU: EVGA GTX 780 with acx cooler, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 16gb DDR3 1600 (overclocked to 2000mhz), HDDS  Samsung 840 EVO 250 gb SSD , Western digital  2tb 7200 rpm 64mb cache, Old 1tb laptop drive I had , 320gb for os backup daily, 80gb external for weekly backups,Drives 2x Lg Blu Ray burner WH16MS40,MISC: Tp-Link dual band wireless card, Logitech g510s, Razer Deathadder 2013, Acer G236HLBbd 23" monitor, Old tv I had 23" for secondary monitor, old 32" samsung tv third monitor

all the ports on thatr board are sata 3 6Gb/s so it's not to do with the port... try to go into the bios and see in what mode the sata ports are

There's usually different controllers though, so maybe one controller is giving him problems?

There's usually different controllers though, so maybe one controller is giving him problems?

yes that's true but the z87 chipset has 6 native sata 3 ports if i recall correctly and he has the ssd in the port 4, so that's not the issue

still it's just plain effortless to change the port and see if it works. at any rate, get crystaldiskinfo to check if it's all ok and what transfer protocol the drive is in

still it's just plain effortless to change the port and see if it works. at any rate, get crystaldiskinfo to check if it's all ok and what transfer protocol the drive is in

He said the port number after my post. Also, I've seen specific SATA ports not work, even when the other ports on the same controller worked... Changing the port may or may not change it. Theoretically it shouldn't, but Mobos could have problems with certain ports. :P

He said the port number after my post. Also, I've seen specific SATA ports not work, even when the other ports on the same controller worked... Changing the port may or may not change it. Theoretically it shouldn't, but Mobos could have problems with certain ports. :P

i didn't say anything :P

yeah that can happen but i shouldn't... at any rate, let's see what will happen

Hey guys, I plugged the SSD to port 2 and still get the same speed.

this is my Sata config

2014-04-11%2022.26.42.jpg?_subject_uid=2

Hey guys, I plugged the SSD to port 2 and still get the same speed.

this is my Sata config

2014-04-11%2022.26.42.jpg?_subject_uid=2

we can't see it man, the link is broken. try to upload it to imgur

Try a different cable.

Update bios

Update firmware on the drive

Plug to sata0 port

If non of these help, then its something else. Although, even if its only at sata2, its still fast and you wont notice that much of a difference anyway.

+°´°+,¸¸,+°´°~ Glorious PC master gaming race :wub: ~°´°+,¸¸,+°´°+
BigBox: Asus P8Z77-V, 3570k, 8GB Ram, Intel 180GB & Sammy 750GB, HD4000, W7
PiBox: Rasberry Pi, BCM @ 1225Mhz ^_^ , 256MB Ram, 16GB Storage, pIO, Raspbian

Also, make sure AHCI is enabled like someone mentioned above.  When I enabled AHCI mode I noticed a considerable improvement on my ssd.  

Hi guys,

Would it be the OS issue? I just clone the OS from my old HDD.

Try a different cable.

Update bios

Update firmware on the drive

Plug to sata0 port

If non of these help, then its something else. Although, even if its only at sata2, its still fast and you wont notice that much of a difference anyway.

Thanks for the help

Hi guys the problem was the wrong partition alignment. 

I used Mini Tool Partition Wizard to fix the problem. My speed now is 475/268.

Thanks everyone for your helps.

it could be the motherboard chipset or it could also be the ssd is dying already (which could be a faulty ssd)