Linus please explaine this

Robertshipley
35 minutes ago, The_Mafia69 said:

my guy linus is not going to respond just because you did this.

1. I'm at work and can't see what he did, what am I missing?

2. Love your pfp XD

Insanity is not the absence of sanity, but the willingness to ignore it for a purpose. Chaos is the result of this choice. I relish in both.

In case someone wants a summary without watching the video, turns out you can’t use the mainboard of the framework laptop on its own, it requires the battery to boot.

The ability to use the mainboard without the screen or battery connected was one of the selling points and was mentioned by the CEO and multiple reviewers, including LTT.

A firmware update is supposedly coming that will let you boot without the battery:

Note that we’re currently working on a firmware update to enable the mainboard to work without the battery plugged in.

Another thing worth noting is that according to the video there was no announcement or mention that the feature was delayed or currently not working, just a reply to a forum post with the above quote. If they released an announcement that the feature was being delayed I don’t think they would be getting as much of a negative response. 

Forum post referenced by video: 

https://community.frame.work/t/can-the-motherboard-run-without-display-battery/1443

@Jtalk4456

You posted before I got to it lol, here you go.

Edited by The_russian

I am confused as to why @LinusTech would need to explain. Even if Frame work did not plan on fixing this issue, their cause is still great. Even Linus admits its not perfect but a good direction he would like the industry to go on to reduce waste. 

PC: Alienware 15 R3  Cpu: 7700hq  GPu : 1070 OC   Display: 1080p IPS Gsync panel 60hz  Storage: 970 evo 250 gb / 970 evo plus 500gb

Audio: Sennheiser HD 6xx  DAC: Schiit Modi 3E Amp: Schiit Magni Heresy

53 minutes ago, The_russian said:

If they released an announcement that the feature was being delayed I don’t think they would be getting as much of a negative response. 

i also don't think frame work was expecting people to buy a laptop to rip it apart immediately and put it into something else since they currently aren't selling replacement or upgraded motherboards.

Also Linus invested in framework, it's not his company, he doesn't have to explain anything. He might kick them up the ass, but i also don't remember this as being one of the selling points that made Linus choose to invest in them.

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

1 hour ago, Tamesh16 said:

I am confused as to why @LinusTech would need to explain. Even if Frame work did not plan on fixing this issue, their cause is still great. Even Linus admits its not perfect but a good direction he would like the industry to go on to reduce waste. 

Because Linus didn't test this before he said it worked.  He didn't verify it.  I asked nicely I meant no disrespect.  

then again, under current conditions there isn't much to framework.

but its fun to see where they might head. right now, its "nothing more" than a custom design with a few new features.

Some things that other laptops could do or do better with wider range of "support" if able to.

Just want to see where framework goes and if they can achieve something more in future, not sure what they have done besides some of the components.

50 minutes ago, Arika S said:

i also don't think frame work was expecting people to buy a laptop to rip it apart immediately and put it into something else since they currently aren't selling replacement or upgraded motherboards.

Whether they expected it or not is debatable, but they stated “Yes it can run without a display and battery, however the system power envelope will be limited to the adapter power.”

and that turns out to be false.

If they said something along the lines of “With a future update it will have the ability to run without a display and battery, however the system power envelope will be limited to the adapter power.” that would have been fine. 

55 minutes ago, Arika S said:

Also Linus invested in framework, it's not his company, he doesn't have to explain anything.

Yeah I don’t know why OP is asking Linus to explain, he should be asking someone at the framework team for an explanation not on this forum. 

57 minutes ago, Arika S said:

He might kick them up the ass, but i also don't remember this as being one of the selling points that made Linus choose to invest in them.

It might not have been one of the selling points that made Linus choose to invest, but it likely was a selling point that made some people choose to buy one of their laptops. 

28 minutes ago, The_russian said:

Whether they expected it or not is debatable, but they stated “Yes it can run without a display and battery, however the system power envelope will be limited to the adapter power.”

and that turns out to be false.

If they said something along the lines of “With a future update it will have the ability to run without a display and battery, however the system power envelope will be limited to the adapter power.” that would have been fine. 

Yeah I don’t know why OP is asking Linus to explain, he should be asking someone at the framework team for an explanation not on this forum. 

It might not have been one of the selling points that made Linus choose to invest, but it likely was a selling point that made some people choose to buy one of their laptops. 

Rematch the vedio that Linus made

3 minutes ago, Robertshipley said:

Rematch the vedio that Linus made

Just finished your video and a few take aways:

1) he said it's quite possibly a firmware issue, so that should be addressable by them with an update.

2) If it's a hardware thing with something in the battery's chip that matters? They can fairly easily make a dummy plug to bypass the issue.  (Should not be expensive either.)

So, were they wrong about this?  Possibly, yeah.  But it's also possible that changes to hardware / firmware between early beta and final release changed things enough that it went from working this way, to not.

There is no guarantee there was a ''lie' about this feature.  Lets see what they do, and then call bullshit or not.

8 minutes ago, tkitch said:

Just finished your video and a few take aways:

1) he said it's quite possibly a firmware issue, so that should be addressable by them with an update.

2) If it's a hardware thing with something in the battery's chip that matters? They can fairly easily make a dummy plug to bypass the issue.  (Should not be expensive either.)

So, were they wrong about this?  Possibly, yeah.  But it's also possible that changes to hardware / firmware between early beta and final release changed things enough that it went from working this way, to not.

There is no guarantee there was a ''lie' about this feature.  Lets see what they do, and then call bullshit or not.

Thank you